Rampage V Extreme Q-Code 53

Specs: 
MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme
Processor: i7-5820k
Memory tried: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Memory ordered: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: EVGA 850G2
Graphics Cards: Dual MSI 980TI in SLI

This is my first build and I have tried two sets of RAM and continue to get the error code 53 which is for a Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed. The first set may have truly been incompatible, but the second set was straight from the manual's list aside from a different timing. I tried using only 1, 2, or 3 sticks and alternating the slots but I continue to receive the same Q-Code. I even get the Q-Code with no memory installed whatsoever. I have just reinstalled the BIOS using flashback and I order a new set of Memory in case the compatibility issue was correct. And while I have yet to try the new set of memory as it has not arrived yet, I don't think the motherboard should display Q-Code 53 without any memory installed. Is this the cause of a defective motherboard or should the RAM that I ordered work?

post-252031-0-51264900-1439420493_thumb.

Look throu the manual, should be there

I've looked through the manual multiple times and the code 55 should be for no RAM installed, but without any RAM I continue to get code 53. So I'm not sure if the RAM I ordered will fix the issue or if the motherboard itself is the problem.

I've looked through the manual multiple times and the code 55 should be for no RAM installed, but without any RAM I continue to get code 53. So I'm not sure if the RAM I ordered will fix the issue or if the motherboard itself is the problem.

If you still have the RAM lying around try one stick and hit the MemOK! button (should be that little button labeled in the cluster) and see if it spits a different Q-Code or you get into the BIOS.

If that doesn't work, take out the DIMM and hit the MemOK! button again to see if you can hit Q-Code 55.

The MemOK button should re-trigger the pre-checks for RAM installed (or in this case, not installed).

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

If you still have the RAM lying around try one stick and hit the MemOK! button (should be that little button labeled in the cluster) and see if it spits a different Q-Code or you get into the BIOS.

If that doesn't work, take out the DIMM and hit the MemOK! button again to see if you can hit Q-Code 55.

The MemOK button should re-trigger the pre-checks for RAM installed (or in this case, not installed).

While I don't still have the RAM lying around, I tried that when I did and it did not yield a different Q-Code. I'm not sure how to get into the BIOS aside from trying the flashback like I already have tried although I have not tried RAM since as I had sent it back before I figured out how to flashback.And pressing MemOK! without RAM installed continues to give Q-Code 53.

Is it an issue that it does not give me the correct Q-Code or do you think it might work once I receive my RAM that was listed as compatible in the manual for the motherboard? 

Attaching the 4-pin as well as the 8-pin did not change anything. I also tried only the 4-pin with no luck.

As far as I'm aware its either
A/bios issues
B/memory issue
C/CPU issues.

You've reflashed the bios, tried both power connectors on the CPU. Have you tried reseating the cpu and making sure none of the socket pins have been damaged?

From a general search, the only solutions people have had, is using lower frequency RAM to start off with, using both 4/8pin connectors and reseating the cpu/checking for damage.

I'd suggest doing the latter, then clearing your cmos and trying again. 

Knight Rider - Build Log - NZXTS340 / i7-4790k / R9 390 / Modded Noctuas / AIO Watercooler - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/421049-updated-knight-rider-nzxt-s340-amd-buiildnow-intel-with-modded-noctuas/

Well I just received my new set of RAM, will keep you guys posted.

I had previously reseated the CPU today because I had seen that solution elsewhere, and the pins on the motherboard appeared to be fine when I did that yet it did not change the results. There were a couple pins on the motherboard that appeared to be shinier than the rest but it didn't seem like they were bent.

To be fair, it'd pretty easy to see if they were bent. So if they look fine, it's probs all ok.

Before you insert your new RAM clear the cmos. 

Knight Rider - Build Log - NZXTS340 / i7-4790k / R9 390 / Modded Noctuas / AIO Watercooler - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/421049-updated-knight-rider-nzxt-s340-amd-buiildnow-intel-with-modded-noctuas/

Ok, I'm in the process of clearing the cmos. And the RAM that I have just received is a lower speed at 2400Mhz than the 2666Mhz RAM I tried using previously. But I did put one stick in before I saw your message to clear the cmos first and received the same error code despite this being RAM that the manual suggests as well. Hopefully clearing the cmos fixes the issue however.

Unfortunately this did not work as both the DRAM light and Q-Code 53 are still displaying. I will however proceed to try the other slots.

Also try removing your GPU and any sdds/HDDs you have connected and hook your monitor upto the mobo.

Then try boot into the bios, just with one stick of RAM and the cpu connected.

I'll try it. But what cable would I use to hook the monitor without any of the ports from the graphics cards?

Your board has hdmi.

Intel cpus have built in onboard graphics. 

Edit - i may stand corrected. Your board doesn't appear to had HDMI. Keep the gpu connected and disconnect any Satas. Leave the 1 RAM stick installed in slot 1A. Turn on the computer, reset the cmos once again. An see if that helps.

I'll try it. 

If that fails there is literally only a few things you can do to check and make sure it isn't a fault with the board. As there could be something shorting.

Remove the Motherboard from the case. Disconnect everything, including your cooler and cpu, then remove the cmos battery for 10minutes.

Reasemble your board outside the case(just use your motherboard box). Put your cpu back in and for now, use the stock intel cooler. In the process really check for any damaged pins.

Once you've done that, connect the 24pin atx, 8pin cpu and in your case you'll have to install the graphics card. Use 1 stick of ram in the 1A slot, then boot up.

If you're still getting error 53, then I'm pretty stumped.

From what I've read, people have also had problems with there coolers being fitted too tightly causing too much pressure on the cpu causing it to short.
People have also had problems with shorts on there motherboard. So setting it up outside the case and using the stock intel cooler will rule them out.

So essentially, if you've tried 2 sets of RAM, clearing the cmos, updating the bios, reseating the cpu, then I suggest doing what's above.

I don't appear to be getting anywhere. To reset the CMOS I only have to remove the CMOS battery with the SATA cables and the power cable for the computer unplugged then wait several minutes, correct? Note that I have yet to try the above. And my processor did not come with any stock cooling fan.

If it was a CPU error wouldn't the CPU light on my motherboard light up instead of DRAM since it checks the parts one after another?

Or while powered on, use the cmos reset on your motherboard by holding it for 10seconds.

img_0016_zpskoz77vk5.jpg

An no, your cpu is like the brain of the computer, while your board is like the body.
If your cpu isn't getting proper connection to the board or it's shorting, it can cause issues with essentially anything and everything.