How Much Video Memory Is Needed For Higher Resolutions? (Techreport)

Rekx

One question we haven't answered decisively in our recent series of graphics card reviews is: how much video memory is enough? More pressingly given the 4GB limit for Radeon R9 Fury cards: how much is too little?

Will a 4GB video card run into performance problems in current games, and if so, when? In some ways, this question is harder to answer than one might expect. Some enthusiasts have taken to using monitoring tools in order to see how much video memory is in use while gaming, and that would seem to be a sensible route to understanding these matters.

Trouble is, most of the available tools track video memory allocation at the operating system level, and that's not necessarily a good indicator of what's going on beneath the covers. In reality, the GPU driver decides how video memory is used in Direct3D games.

My weapon of choice for this mission was a single game, Shadow of Mordor, which I chose for several reasons. For one, it's pretty widely regarded as one of the most VRAM-hungry games around right now.

I installed the free HD assets pack available for it and cranked up all of the image quality settings in order to consume as much video memory as possible. Mordor has a built-in benchmark that allowed me to test at multiple resolutions in repeatable fashion with ease. The results won't be as fine-grained as those from our frame-time-based game tests, but a big drop in the FPS average should still serve as a clear indicator of a memory capacity problem.

Benchmarks:

AMD

168vcsi.jpg2vb4ql5.jpg

Nvidia 

2hykjtw.jpg2ef85fn.jpg

2jafgqq.jpg

For whatever reason, a 4GB memory capacity limit appears to create more problems for the Fury X than it does for the GTX 980. As a result, the GTX 980 matches the performance of the much pricier Fury X at 5760x3240 and outdoes it at 33 megapixels.

wgw938.jpg

As you can see, the color compression in Nvidia's Maxwell chips looks to be quite a bit more effective than the compression in Fury X. The Fury X still has a tremendous amount of memory bandwidth, of course, but we're more concerned about capacity. Assuming these GPUs store compressed data in a packed format that saves capacity as well as bandwidth, it's possible the Maxwell GPUs could be getting more out of each megabyte by using stronger compression.

More details can be found on Techreport website

News Source: http://techreport.com/blog/28800/how-much-video-memory-is-enough

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Well my GTX 760 runs out of video memory in GTA V before it's processing power is fully utilized. I would say 2GB is okay for most games but 4GB is the standard amount you want. Maybe 6GB or 12GB at most for rendering and all.

In my opinion 2GB of GDDR5 RAM is the standard for 1080p gaming.

While 4GB of GDDR5 is more for playing games on 1080p 144hz monitors and for gaming on a 1440p display.

Just my opinion

The fury cards are using HBM memory. You can't really compare it do the normal GDDR5 that other cards have lol

3GB is standard now imo for 1080p but how is using a VRAM hungry game with high settings and HD assets pack proving anything on how much you need

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

So, maybe give more of a synopsis or some results.  All you did was post a teaser about an article.  What were the results?  Were they definitive?  Is there no good answer?  What is your opinion?

Edit:  Results added/updated.

Edited by ChineseChef

SoM was a bad choice for testing. It uses a lot of vRAM, but it's not vRAM hungry. At 1080p, it uses the full 6GB of my cards, but it sure as hell doesn't need that. It uses what's available. Modded Skyrim may have been a better choice. If that uses all/more of your vRAM, it drops to below 10FPS, as it actually needs that  vRAM. 

i'd say 4gb is the standard these days. though my gtx 670 2gb is still capable at 1080p lol

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

this is stupid. how much is enough? then goes to one of the most demanding Vram games, then gets a mod to use even more? because that's a normal use case scenario. 

I think it is a rather good and normal scenario.  Buy a modern game, install the free official HD pack, see how much VRAM it needs.  Sounds like something a normal user would do, so it fits the bill for seeing how much will you need.  Because you can always turn down settings, but what does it actually take to turn up the settings is what is important.

Edit:  I will say that something like Skyrim or a better optimized game may have been a better choice, but that may not best represent the regular user experience since Skyrim has been tweaked quite a bit to make it better at this point.

I've done some testing on this myself when I compared my old 780ti to the 980ti. From running those test I've noticed that a lack of VRAM doesn't necessarily show itself clearly when only measuring or watching for a drop in fps (which it would BUT could also be attributed to lack of performance of the chip) but rather the game becoming very noticeably "laggy" and unresponsive.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

How much video memory is enough?

^^^^^^

depends wht settings u use and what gpu, if u use a low end gpu .. alot of vram is wasted and useless coz the gpu cant render it anyways

if u use a high end gpu that can handle enough vram like 4gb/6gb ect but only use low settings in games u dont need the 4-6gb either

if u are going on high end... 4gb should be enough ( maybe in 4-5year that becomes 6-8gb ;x )

if u going on midrange gpu/low end 2gb / 1gb should be enough

(◑‿◐)

So, maybe give more of a synopsis or some results.  All you did was post a teaser about an article.  What were the results?  Were they definitive?  Is there no good answer?  What is your opinion?

Edit:  Results added/updated.

Yeah i was having some problems with the images :-) 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

The fury cards are using HBM memory. You can't really compare it do the normal GDDR5 that other cards have lol

You absolutely can compare the two. 4GB of VRAM is 4GB of VRAM regardless of how much bandwidth it has. What this guy was testing was the effects of VRAM storage capacity in relation to frame rate. If there isn't enough VRAM to hold all of the textures required to run a game then there will be a performance hit because it needs to request the textures from your SSD/HDD and cycle out the textures it currently has stored. Bandwidth between the VRAM and the GPU doesn't matter at all if the bottleneck is the constant of uploading of textures to  your VRAM.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

In my opinion 2GB of GDDR5 RAM is the standard for 1080p gaming.

While 4GB of GDDR5 is more for playing games on 1080p 144hz monitors and for gaming on a 1440p display.

Just my opinion

no, i have HD 7970 and it's 3GB is not enough at 1080p gaming, it does have enough proccesing power to play modern games at 1080p resolutions but in some of that games it just runs out of VRAM. so in my opinion today because of bad developers and ubisoft :D 4 GB is standard for 1080p gaming.

Nvidia LOL 970 3.5 GB :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

No such thing as "enough". You either have progression, or stagnation and eventual death. In all things.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2gb minimum

3gb/4gb recommended

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Architecture plays a role in this. It's different for each architecture. 

no, i have HD 7970 and it's 3GB is not enough at 1080p gaming, it does have enough proccesing power to play modern games at 1080p resolutions but in some of that games it just runs out of VRAM. so in my opinion today because of bad developers and ubisoft :D 4 GB is standard for 1080p gaming.

Nvidia LOL 970 3.5 GB :D

GCN 1.2 and Maxwell manage Vram better then Kepler and GCN 1 so mileage will vary. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm much more interested in how much VRAM games will require in the future, although no one really knows.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

RIP in peace

I think it is a rather good and normal scenario.  Buy a modern game, install the free official HD pack, see how much VRAM it needs.  Sounds like something a normal user would do, so it fits the bill for seeing how much will you need.  Because you can always turn down settings, but what does it actually take to turn up the settings is what is important.

Edit:  I will say that something like Skyrim or a better optimized game may have been a better choice, but that may not best represent the regular user experience since Skyrim has been tweaked quite a bit to make it better at this point.

*sigh* I love being able to enhance Skyrim to the point that at even 1080p my GTX 970 struggles badly.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Before you post that comment you're about to post, please remember these things.

1) More VRAM does not increase performance if your GPU is the bottleneck. 12GB of VRAM won't help you if the GPU core can't handle to process as much data as it should. So don't blame a lack of VRAM for low performance unless you have done tests and is absolutely sure that more VRAM would in fact increase performance. One of the few ways to validate this is to get the exact same GPU but with more/less VRAM. For example the 290X with 4GB and 290X with 8GB of VRAM. Or the GTX 960 with 2GB or 4GB.

2) Just because a game uses let's say 5GB of VRAM doesn't mean it actually needs 5GB to perform well. It might perform 99.99% as well with just 4GB of VRAM and the last 1GB is mostly useless junk that won't get accessed anyway.

I'll read the article tomorrow before commenting on it. Just wanted to do something to prevent the torrent of "X GB is enough! I looked at the VRAM usage when I played so I know!" and "I upgraded from a 2GB card to a 4GB card and I got a lot better FPS! I am totally going to ignore that the GPU core is far more powerful in my new card though!" comments.

That's like saying you can't compare the 980 Ti vs the Fury because they are different architectures. Of course you can compare them. You make them run the same software and then compare the performance of the two. It's as simple as that.

Architecture plays a role in this. It's different for each architecture. 

GCN 1.2 and Maxwell manage Vram better then Kepler and GCN 1 so mileage will vary. 

actually maxwell manages memory much better then even R9 fury 

wgw938.jpg

As you can see, the color compression in Nvidia's Maxwell chips looks to be quite a bit more effective than the compression in Fury X. The Fury X still has a tremendous amount of memory bandwidth, of course, but we're more concerned about capacity. Assuming these GPUs store compressed data in a packed format that saves capacity as well as bandwidth, it's possible the Maxwell GPUs could be getting more out of each megabyte by using stronger compression.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

this is stupid. how much is enough? then goes to one of the most demanding Vram games, then gets a mod to use even more? because that's a normal use case scenario. 

Because it's required to show the expected scenario for immediate-future games.

The Division, Fallout 4 and Star Citizen all are likely to reach beyond Shadow of Mordor levels in their worst case scenarios.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.