Overclocking and full screen gaming

THFourteen

Took delivery of my QNIX 2710 on Monday and I'm really pleased with it, no dead pixels and only a small amount of backlight bleeding for a bargain price.

I also managed to overclock it using NVCP to 96hz (don't want to go higher as I like to keep game settings on ultra as best I can)

However one thing I've noticed, even with NVCP set to vsync=adaptive, no games go over 60fps on FRAPS unless I am in windowed or windowed full screen mode.

Is that normal? Do I need to start using borderless gaming for stuff?

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

You should turn off vsync instead of leaving it as adaptive. Adaptive vsync limits your framerates either at 30 or 60 fps. Therefore you are not getting pass those barriers. And playing games in windowed mode is just plain stupid, I rather lower the resolution then go to windowed mode to play games.

Well, it could be fraps lying? Fraps also isn't the best program to check FPS, if its a steam game you can have a FPS counter displayed, it might also be that VSync doesn't particularly like refresh rates that start with 1-4 and 6-9. To enable steams in game FPS go to Steam -> Settings-> in game and select In game FPS counter to desired screen corner and see if that works

Thanks I'll try both of those.

I misunderstood adaptive vsync I thought it would Max out at a higher refresh rate rather than 30 or 60.

Does this mean I can't vsync at 96hz at all then? When I am in windowed mode fraps does show 96fps in all my games

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

Well it depends on your rig, It must be able to handle 96 fps to begin with.

What being in windowed mode does is it boosts your framerate as it is running a lower resolution.

The point of vsync is to limit your frames so that they can reduce screen tearing, it is not possible to set a maximum vsync framerate at a point your graphics card cannot reach. You could try to lower the graphics of your game and see if that helps.

I'm running on a i7 4790k with a 980ti, so think I've got enough horsepower for the games i was trying out (path of exile, wolfenstein, pro evo). I didn't bother with the Witcher!

Also with Path of Exile for example, it had a windowed full screen mode which is the same resolution as full screen, when I run using that, I see the full 96fps in fraps.

So I def think there is something about games running full screen that is limiting my refresh rate back to 60hz again.

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

Okay, I tested something.

Using CS:GO as a constant.

I have found out that.

No matter how much beastly your computer is, maximum frames with vsync on is 60.

For me CS:GO runs at easily 170 frames per second. Almost triple the vsync maximum.

When I turn vsync on, my frames caps at 60. When my frames drop due to a spike, its max changes to 30.

From this I conclude that if you want 96hz moniter to be working with vsync, you have to edit the maximum limit for vsync to be active on.

Then again NVCP is supposed to detect your monitor's settings and provide you with the highest and most appropriate vsync possible which in your case 96hz.

My tips from now would be to check the connection between the monitor and the NVCP and see whether NVCP properly recognises your monitor. And also tweak the NVCP settings to increase the limit of the fps cap. 

[EDIT]

My computer runs at 60hz displayed  rather than 144hz due to some stupid intel limitations.