? NZXT Phantom 410 vs. Phanteks Enthroo Pro vs. H440 ?

Axno

Hello everyone! I just joined the forums and I want to start making use of your knowledge asap. Anyway, I'm getting ready to order the parts to my new gaming build but I'm really torn between what case to get. I've been looking at reviews and videos but they are ridiculously mixed in the specifics of the cases. This will be my first build by the way. I may overclock the RAM eventually, but it is not my main concern so the build isn't as suited for OCing as it could be. 

I am personally leaning towards the Phantom 410 just because of the design. Not sure though. I don't need a super quiet PC so not sure if I should get the H440. I'm just looking to get a case that I'll able to navigate around (since this is my first build but I'm confident nothing will baffle me much) and be satisfied with for a few years. 

Anyway my personal options are the ones in the title. I would like to keep the case price at $100 USD tops unless it's really worth it. Feel free to recommend any case that will do the job for me.

If you want to take a look at my build. I just switched out some parts since some new stuff has come out.

My First Build ($1600ish USD budget including one 144Hz monitor) :

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($93.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($334.99 @ NCIX US) 
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1553.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-11 21:28 EDT-0400

Feel free to suggest any part switches or new builds.

Choose one of this two: 

NZXT H440

NZXT Noctis 450

And i personally like Evga psu's i will recommend you something from them. And also if you are available please go with Kraken x61 :):)  :):)   ( The silent and best for me Liquid cooler on the market )

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

Phantom 410 is (imo) a cheap plastic mess.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The Enthoo Pro is one of the best quality cases out there. Phanteks makes AMAZING cases.

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

Hello everyone! I just joined the forums and I want to start making use of your knowledge asap. Anyway, I'm getting ready to order the parts to my new gaming build but I'm really torn between what case to get. I've been looking at reviews and videos but they are ridiculously mixed in the specifics of the cases. This will be my first build by the way. I may overclock the RAM eventually, but it is not my main concern so the build isn't as suited for OCing as it could be. 

I am personally leaning towards the Phantom 410 just because of the design. Not sure though. I don't need a super quiet PC so not sure if I should get the H440. I'm just looking to get a case that I'll able to navigate around (since this is my first build but I'm confident nothing will baffle me much) and be satisfied with for a few years. 

Anyway my personal options are the ones in the title. I would like to keep the case price at $100 USD tops unless it's really worth it. Feel free to recommend any case that will do the job for me.

If you want to take a look at my build. I just switched out some parts since some new stuff has come out.

My First Build ($1600 USD budget including one 144Hz monitor) :

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($334.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1553.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-11 21:28 EDT-0400

Feel free to suggest any part switches. I would like to keep the mobo and Skylake if you want to totally destroy my build.

A few thoughts:

1. Why the 144 Hz monitor with only a GTX 970?

2. What games do you play?

3. $1300 for an i5 + 970 system (not counting monitor) is really expensive. I think you're spending way too much on CPU + board + cooler when that money could more profitably be put towards a better GPU like an R9 Fury or a GTX 980 Ti. At least more profitably if you're looking to play AAA games at the highest settings. The GPU is the most important part of a gaming build, and while the 970 is an incredible GPU (I have one), it makes more sense in an $800-$1000 build. Unless you're really into massively CPU bound games like Arma III or Total War, in those games an overclocked CPU is more important than a ton of graphics horsepower. But for most AAA games like Witcher 3, GTA V, Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, etc you're going to run into GPU limitations with a 970 before you'd run into CPU limitations with even a locked i5/i7. I use a 3.6 GHz Xeon E3-1231v3 (very similar to a locked i7-4770) and it's exceedingly rare I run into a CPU limitation before a GPU limitation at 1080p (I use the EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0). If I was going to spend that much on CPU + board + cooler I'd go with a hexacore Haswell-E setup.

4. If you go with the H440 you will be better off with a high end air cooler like a Noctua NH-D15 since it pushes air out the back of the case through the exhaust fan in back, whereas a top mounted water cooler can only exhaust air through those small vents on the side of the top. The H440 is designed more for silence than for performance.

5. Newegg has the 500GB 850 EVO for $180. It's easy to fill 250 GB fast in the days of 60 GB game installs, but 500 GB gives you some breathing room; especially since you want to keep a percentage of your SSD empty at all times for it to perform well.

6. If you want a GTX 970, the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 is the gold standard. People get some really serious overclocks on it here, and overclocking the GPU almost always gives more performance in your games, while overclocking the CPU only does for certain games and use cases.

7. I also think you're spending too much for your power supply. XFX makes outstanding PSUs, but that one's kind of in a no man's land pricewise. You can usually get very good 80+ Bronze 600W power supplies for $50-$80 or so, or you could get a really high end EVGA G2 80+ Gold that could handle 970 SLI for $120 or so usually. Though I'd take a single 980 Ti over SLI 970 since it's cheaper, has almost the same performance, uses less power (so doesn't need as big a power supply), and a single 980 Ti should put out less heat than two 970s.

A few thoughts:

1. Why the 144 Hz monitor with only a GTX 970?

2. What games do you play?

3. $1300 for an i5 + 970 system (not counting monitor) is really expensive. I think you're spending way too much on CPU + board + cooler when that money could more profitably be put towards a better GPU like an R9 Fury or a GTX 980 Ti. At least more profitably if you're looking to play AAA games at the highest settings. The GPU is the most important part of a gaming build, and while the 970 is an incredible GPU (I have one), it makes more sense in an $800-$1000 build. Unless you're really into massively CPU bound games like Arma III or Total War, in those games an overclocked CPU is more important than a ton of graphics horsepower. But for most AAA games like Witcher 3, GTA V, Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, etc you're going to run into GPU limitations with a 970 before you'd run into CPU limitations with even a locked i5/i7. I use a 3.6 GHz Xeon E3-1231v3 (very similar to a locked i7-4770) and it's exceedingly rare I run into a CPU limitation before a GPU limitation at 1080p (I use the EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0). If I was going to spend that much on CPU + board + cooler I'd go with a hexacore Haswell-E setup.

4. If you go with the H440 you will be better off with a high end air cooler like a Noctua NH-D15 since it pushes air out the back of the case through the exhaust fan in back, whereas a top mounted water cooler can only exhaust air through those small vents on the side of the top. The H440 is designed more for silence than for performance.

5. Newegg has the 500GB 850 EVO for $180. It's easy to fill 250 GB fast in the days of 60 GB game installs, but 500 GB gives you some breathing room; especially since you want to keep a percentage of your SSD empty at all times for it to perform well.

6. If you want a GTX 970, the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 is the gold standard. People get some really serious overclocks on it here, and overclocking the GPU almost always gives more performance in your games, while overclocking the CPU only does for certain games and use cases.

7. I also think you're spending too much for your power supply. XFX makes outstanding PSUs, but that one's kind of in a no man's land pricewise. You can usually get very good 80+ Bronze 600W power supplies for $50-$80 or so, or you could get a really high end EVGA G2 80+ Gold that could handle 970 SLI for $120 or so usually. Though I'd take a single 980 Ti over SLI 970 since it's cheaper, has almost the same performance, uses less power (so doesn't need as big a power supply), and a single 980 Ti should put out less heat than two 970s.

So you want me to spend $1k on just a cpu and a 980 then have only $500 left for the rest of the parts? I can't get high quality parts with even $600. Especially with a 500gb ssd.

Also how does the gigabyte 970 compare to the Radeon r9 390? If you know.

Have a case recommmendation?

I'll probably take your advice on everything else. Thanks.

So you want me to spend $1k on just a cpu and a 980 then have only $500 left for the rest of the parts? I can't get high quality parts with even $600. Especially with a 500gb ssd.

Also how does the gigabyte 970 compare to the Radeon r9 390? If you know.

Have a case recommmendation?

I'll probably take your advice on everything else. Thanks.

The R9 390 and GTX 970 are pretty similar in performance, with a bit of an edge to the 390 in most games. I brought up Haswell-E since if I'm spending so much on CPU + board + cooler I would want a really high end CPU. This build is $86 more and has 8GB RAM instead of 16 GB, but has a much stronger CPU and an excellent PSU.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($378.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Krait ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($202.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($67.98 @ Directron) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1639.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-12 20:05 EDT-0400

But I wouldn't consider that the best price to performance kind of build in that price range. In your price range I would seriously look at Haswell. I can't in good conscience recommend going with a cheaper board with Skylake since Skylake moved voltage regulation off the CPU and back onto the board, so I don't know if Skylake needs higher end boards. But Haswell doesn't need high end boards for good overclocks.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($115.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked Video Card  ($636.30 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1612.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-12 20:23 EDT-0400

Case is kind of a personal thing. I don't like the way the NZXT Phantom cases look, I love understated cases like those made by Fractal Design. But I think they're supposed to be pretty decent for cooling and if you like the look, go with it, as that's a good price on the case.

Feel free to suggest any part switches. I would like to keep the mobo and Skylake if you want to totally destroy my build.

DON'T buy arctic silver 5, get MX-4, NT-H1, STG2, PK-1 any of those, not AS5

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-cooling-thermal-paste-acmx4

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-thermal-paste-nth1

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/zalman-thermal-paste-zmstg2

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/prolimatech-thermal-paste-propk115g

Get whatever is cheapest, they are all good

Right now NCIX is selling the cooler master nepton 280L for 97 bucks, that's a steal, buy it, please

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rln28l20pkr1

DON'T get a phantom, the H440 is superior in every way, so is...any from the Phanteks Enthoo line up, you can also save money and get an S340, excellent case for 70 bucks

I would like to see a 980 on that build, i'm thinking on what you can save some money, maybe the motherboard, if not, an R9 390/X is a solid choice. I overspend on the mobo on my first build, i'm ok with it, but no need for other people to make the same mistake. Not saying you're overspending, there isn't much in the Z170 market atm, just something to keep in mind

Finally, don't overclock the ram, it's not worth it, you get almost no performance benefit and the instability you can get is such a cunt.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10