Halo 5 Guardians Receives a Teen Rating

Tie Lightning

Original Article: (http://www.gamesradar.com/halo-5-guardians-rated-teen/)

For the first time, a AAA Halo game (Not including spin-offs) will receive a "Teen" rating breaking the cycle of "Mature" rated games. There are a few reasons why Microsoft would do this, the first being the fact that they are changing the content of the game in order to possibly make more money. (Along the same lines as film directors editing an R film to PG-13 as to be accessible to a larger audience) And the second being that now because Microsoft owns minecraft, they could be starting to target a lower age demographic with their games. What do y'all think? Is this a good change or should microsoft and 343 have stuck with a Mature rated title?

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

There was no reason for any of the previous Halos to be rated M anyway. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Original Article: (http://www.gamesradar.com/halo-5-guardians-rated-teen/)

For the first time, a AAA Halo game (Not including spin-offs) will receive a "Teen" rating breaking the cycle of "Mature" rated games. There are a few reasons why Microsoft would do this, the first being the fact that they are changing the content of the game in order to possibly make more money. (Along the same lines as film directors editing an R film to PG-13 as to be accessible to a larger audience) And the second being that now because Microsoft owns minecraft, they could be starting to target a lower age demographic with their games. What do y'all think? Is this a good change or should microsoft and 343 have stuck with a Mature rated title?

Just going to make more $$$.

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

Straight up-the people in charge of rating games are stuck in the past.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It always felt like a teen rated game to me.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

too bad they killed halo on the PC long ago... like as soon as I got a PC to play halo on -_- lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I hope they didn't change much of it.

If they got rid of anything because it's deemed too gory, I'm going to be choked. It was already basically gore free. I like a little realism.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Greeeeat, now halo 5 will be filled with even more 5 year old screamers that get the game since people under 18 can get it.... I'll save my ears and skip. I also doubt this game supports triple monitor as Mission Impossible portrays it... Imagine that. Triple 1080p on the Xbox one. Hah, you'd probably get <10 fps

Eh I really doubt that this will change much, bearing in mind that both Dark Souls 1 and 2 are also the equivalent of Teens in the UK and those games are far more grim than any of the halos. 

u8V14n7.gif

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Greeeeat, now halo 5 will be filled with even more 5 year old screamers that get the game since people under 18 can get it.... I'll save my ears and skip. I also doubt this game supports triple monitor as Mission Impossible portrays it... Imagine that. Triple 1080p on the Xbox one. Hah, you'd probably get <10 fps

It wouldnt run LOL

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

If anything Call of Duty should be rated T too. if a game is rated M it should really deserve it like GTA and mortal kombat.

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

The previous games never really deserved the M rating anyway. This is just ESRB or whoever getting with the times.

56460677.jpg

Parents are in charge of what their kids play and watch.....and a lot of people forget that.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I never get the rating system anyway. Don't get me wrong, some things should be not shown to children but cmon.

I played Halo 1 when I was 9/10 years old and my god am I an agressive person. I never fought in my entire life!

Like Quentin Tarentino says: "Go watch my movies, it's a fantasy, not real!"

I'm more concerned with some commercials on TV than these game ratings. When dating sites focussed on cheating are casually marketed in commercials on national TV, that's more concerning in my opinion.

The only things I can think of that might have made the previous games M-ish rated would be The Flood and some of the IWHBYD skull lines.
Eh. Not sure I'm looking forward to a less mature game, at least thematically, but I'll deal.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

The only things I can think of that might have made the previous games M-ish rated would be The Flood and some of the IWHBYD skull lines.

Eh. Not sure I'm looking forward to a less mature game, at least thematically, but I'll deal.

Do you think that would be enough to give then an M rating?

From the gameplay stuff online it doesn't seem to look any less mature, it looks very much like previous Halo games in terms of content, there are still explosions and aliens being shotgunned in the face, and sticking grenades to people for the lols

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Do you think that would be enough to give then an M rating?

From the gameplay stuff online it doesn't seem to look any less mature, it looks very much like previous Halo games in terms of content, there are still explosions and aliens being shotgunned in the face, and sticking grenades to people for the lols

Dunno if it'd have been enough, but it was all I could think of to explain the M rating of previous games.

Have to wonder if they went through the storylines in game and aimed it perhaps a bit more at a younger age group. Grossly ageist of me.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Dunno if it'd have been enough, but it was all I could think of to explain the M rating of previous games.

Have to wonder if they went through the storylines in game and aimed it perhaps a bit more at a younger age group. Grossly ageist of me.

Potentially, I assume they have targeted a teen rating because there are a lot of younger xbox players, so making the game more accessible will easily increase sales

Hopefully it is not much though, it SEEMS to be pretty much Halo as usual though, so fingers crossed it hasnt been made too childish as Halo definitely has an older following too since a lot of older games grew up with Halo

Its a fine line between encouraging new players and keeping the old hardcores happy

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Potentially, I assume they have targeted a teen rating because there are a lot of younger xbox players, so making the game more accessible will easily increase sales

Hopefully it is not much though, it SEEMS to be pretty much Halo as usual though, so fingers crossed it hasnt been made too childish as Halo definitely has an older following too since a lot of older games grew up with Halo

Its a fine line between encouraging new players and keeping the old hardcores happy

Can't argue with 343 trying to expand to a larger market, though it would be interesting to see how many kids actually get the game as a result. Are parents really that stiff with ratings?

As to the rest, yeah, certainly. I'm looking forward to it either way. Hoping that they continue down the path of exploring the moral issues of the Spartan program/Humanity attaining the Mantle etc etc.

Failing that... I'm sure the books will be good.

Cheese monger.

Can't argue with 343 trying to expand to a larger market, though it would be interesting to see how many kids actually get the game as a result. Are parents really that stiff with ratings?

As to the rest, yeah, certainly. I'm looking forward to it either way. Hoping that they continue down the path of exploring the moral issues of the Spartan program/Humanity attaining the Mantle etc etc.

Failing that... I'm sure the books will be good.

Some parents are, I used to get all sorts when I worked in retail, and it also just makes it harder for kids to walk into their local game store / amazon and buy the game without having to bother their parents to buy it

Yeah I am looking forward to it too, though I need to get an Xbox One still, (and a PS4 for other games) but just cant afford it right now which sucks

I have not read any of the books yet, but I have heard good things

Don't care, it's not on PC.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Halo earned a M rating before because of the society it was created in. It was a legacy rating, not that it didn't try and earn it with the gore (from the Flood) or the skeletor scene from from Halo 4; 

overall the ESRB ratings have become more lax because thats just the kind of society we are in. Halo just isn't that offensive of a series to people anymore, even though all Halo 5 footage shown so far shows that they haven't dialled back on the violence or blood or what have you. 

Don't care, it's not on PC.

Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the thread. 

Halo earned a M rating before because of the society it was created in. It was a legacy rating, not that it didn't try and earn it with the gore (from the Flood) or the skeletor scene from from Halo 4; 

-snip 

overall the ESRB ratings have become more lax because thats just the kind of society we are in. Halo just isn't that offensive of a series to people anymore, even though all Halo 5 footage shown so far shows that they haven't dialled back on the violence or blood or what have you. 

Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the thread. 

If they are purposefully going for a lower rating to reach a wider audience, they could also try using more than one platform to increase sales.

Not that any of this matters, because it isn't tech news in the first place, it's game news.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If they are purposefully going for a lower rating to reach a wider audience, they could also try using more than one platform to increase sales.

Not that any of this matters, because it isn't tech news in the first place, it's game news.

How are they purposefully going for a lower rating? The ESRB has become more lax in the recent years because what constitutes a M rating isn't viewed the same was as the general public anymore. Halo had dubiously earned the M rating as well, it was borderline. There are true M rated games (Like Condemned, which earn that rating so hard), but Halo never made sense. 

Like I said before, the public is more lenient on what they consider M. 

Increasing sales? How? Since when has the M rating been a deterrent? Nothing has stopped people from buying these games as under 18 year olds before, nothing will. Especially when digital delivery and online stores don't age check for a purchase, so thats a pretty bad point to try and make. 

Last I read the forum guidelines, both gaming AND tech news are allowed here. No need to piss on the discussion over some obscure agenda.