Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro

You may have seen or heard about these before, so here is a review and my thoughts towards these headphone.

The reason I decided to make this review is because Slick said he bought a pair of these and I thought some of you might be interested to find out a little bit more about them.

I apologize in advanced as I used a phone camera to take the photos, so lets hope they turn out well! 

beyer-Custom-One-Pro.jpg

(I have only ever seen the black and the white versions for sale)

Overall look and feel

I wouldn't say they are a good looking par of cans, (pun intended :P) but they do have a good quality look and feel to them.

The reason why they are called the 'Custom One Pros' (or the COPs for short) is because you customize the aesthetics and the sound of these headphones.

These headphones are reasonably light weight, but they they have a high pressure clasp on your head for it to stay on and also act as noise cancellation.

They are said to cancel out around 18dB of noise.

The head pads and the ear cup pads are made of pleather. (good for noise cancellation, but bad for summer).

Because of the light weight-ness of the headphones and also the cushiony feel on the headrest , you don't really feel it pushing down on your head.

The high pressure clasp it has on your head could be annoying to some, as it may put pressure on your jaw muscles that are near you ears.

20130805_024025.jpg

Audio Quality

Now, I'm in no way an audiophile, but I do have a general idea of what sounds good.

In my music, I do have a lot of 'bass heavy' songs so my opinion may be a little biased.

If you want a descriptive and professional opinion of what the sound is like then may I suggest looking at some of the Youtube videos and the written reviews that are done by the audiophiles.

So for a basic description:

With the bass ports completely open, you get a full head pounding sensation (in a good way) of the music.

With the bass ports completely closed, you get a sound that more emphasizes the highs, which may sound good for talking videos.

Turning the volume up, I find it that, in simple words, the music gets louder. I feel that there is no distortion whatsoever and that you tend to pick up on little things of a song that you didn't know were there.

So in other words, I find the clarity is amazing, the bass literately shakes your head, and you get a good range of the mids and high as well as the lows.

What is customizable / changeable? 

- Ear pads

- Head cushion

- Cup Rings

- Cup custom metal plate

- Bass air port

- 3.5mm AUX Cable

You can purchase the available different coloured pads for the COPs and even silver velour ear cups that are from the EDT 770 V headphones, in case you don't like the 'pleather' feel.

The Bass Ports

The base ports are a slider on each cup that can allow more or less air in.

The more air allowed to me moved in and out will result in more bass.

Closing up the ports will make the bass tighter but there will be less doof doof.

Below is a picture of the bass port fully open.

20130805_024034.jpg

Below is a picture of the bass port 2 thirds open.

20130805_024057.jpg

If you would like to, you could compare the bass port to the breathing hole on a sub-woofer. If you block the hole you will starve it of air and the sound will close up, and if left open it will punch through air like no tomorrow.

20130805_025833.jpg

Detachable cable

You can completely replace the cable if it were to break.

BUT THERE IS A DOWNSIDE!!!!

There is a little notch on the housing as well as a groove on the cable that allows the thing to fit into the thing  :)

This means that not all cables will fit into the housing of the headphones.

Below are images of what I mean.

20130805_024133.jpg

20130805_024203.jpg

Because of that notch, you can't fit a AUX cable in that has a fat housing.

You can, however, fit a slim housing cable and it won't be block by that notch.

Another approach is to use an X-acto knife to cut off the notch so you could fit almost any AUX cable in.

Below is an image of the groove in the cable that slots into the notch.

20130805_024943.jpg

The other end of the cable has a thread on it so it can be screwed onto the 6.3mm adapter.

20130805_024755.jpg

Padding

The headphones have an extremely soft headband pad, and a reasonably soft ear pads. Both of which are using a soft or slow rebounding foam.

This should make it comfortable the moment you put them on.

The head pad is using 'hook and loop' for it to be attached and detached from the headband.

Below are some images of the ear padding and the head rest.

20130805_024443.jpg

20130805_024502.jpg

20130805_024403.jpg

Custom plates or 'tags'

On the side of each ear can, there is a metal plate which can be changed.

To change them you just unscrew the 4 screws on the plastic bracket and underneath it will be the 1mm or something thick metal plate.

Beyerdynamic have said you can send them an image of whatever you want, and they will print it on the tags for you.

If you were keen, you could use the other side of the existing metal plate and paint you own logo.

Below is a side on picture of the COP showing the custom plate.

20130805_024527.jpg

The 'Burn In'

I've read and heard countless times that you have to burn in the headphones.

By doing this you make the sound stage open up and mature. This gives it a richer sort of sound.

It has been recommenced that around 50 hours of burn in time is optimal.

To burn in a headset, basically you just lay them down and play music through them for 50 hours straight. 

My suggestion is to have the volume up just a little louder than regular listening levels.

I think there are programs that do the burn in for you, where they cover every sound pitch possibly to fully give your headphones a work out.

Personal Thoughts

Overall, I find that the Custom One Pros are an exceptional pair of headphones.

What I love about them is that they can cancel a good amount of environmental noise, and they can be modded.

At home I have CM Storm Sirus 5.1 'gaming' headset, Sennheiser HD 438, and a few ear bud headphones.

Compared to those headphones, the COPs completely blow them out of the water.

Bad experience

When I got these, the cable that they came with would only half work. I had to wiggle and apply pressure on the jack for it to get the proper sound.

The 3.5mm had a bad connection. I tried a number of things to try and fix it, like using a hairdryer to try and expand the connector, but it did nothing.

So straight away I had to find a slim housing cable that would fit into the headphones.

Other than that, these headphones are an absolute delight to have, and I wub dem!!  :rolleyes:

-- UPDATE!!! -- Custom Padding --

I just received the white ear pads and the white head pad, so this is what they look like:

20130806_131615.jpg

20130806_132825.jpg

20130806_133906.jpg

I do have plans to paint the rings that hold the metal plates white.

Also possibly do some sort of logo on the metal plates.

Another thing...... I will probably be getting a bright green AUX cable to suit. (preferably braided)

This is just an example of what you can do with your Custom One Pros!  :lol: 

Thanks for reading! Feel free to ask any questions, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Nice and indepth review. I personally went with the ATH-M50s though since I got them for about 1000 kr (150$). While the COPs cost around 1800 kr (272$) here in Sweden.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Nice and indepth review. I personally went with the ATH-M50s though since I got them for about 1000 kr (150$). While the COPs cost around 1800 kr (272$) here in Sweden.

True that, a lot of reviewers tent to compare them to the ATH-m50s. Both are a great buy.

At the time, on Amazon the COPs were on sale for $150 with $12 shipping to Australia so I couldn't resist.  :D

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Those brown ones would have been so sexy if they were that leathery premium beige

D6VXgNB.jpg

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

1300-1400 kr :P

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-Custom-One-Pro-Headphones/dp/B008XEYT48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375643161&sr=8-1&keywords=Custom+one+pro

really nice review, if i have that much money for headphines i will consider them.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

1300-1400 kr :P

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-Custom-One-Pro-Headphones/dp/B008XEYT48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375643161&sr=8-1&keywords=Custom+one+pro

really nice review, if i have that much money for headphines i will consider them.

Yea if I order them from Amazon. And I didn't want to do that since I want to be able to go to the store if I have any issues with the product and not have to send them back.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Yea if I order them from Amazon. And I didn't want to do that since I want to be able to go to the store if I have any issues with the product and not have to send them back.

Yeah, that's the risk you have to deal with when buying tech overseas.

To be honest I think if customs were to hold it up when it got to my country, I'd probably have to pay a fee ($200 ish) for buying tech stuff without our local tax additions.

So far I have been lucky  :)

Oh well, doesn't seem like a whole lot of work to me but your choice : P

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

Do you know what program for burn-in testing would be good? I've got a set of these coming in the mail and I really want my headphones to be the best-ish quality they can be, or do you think just playing my own music for the 50 hrs will be fine? 

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

Do you know what program for burn-in testing would be good? I've got a set of these coming in the mail and I really want my headphones to be the best-ish quality they can be, or do you think just playing my own music for the 50 hrs will be fine? 

Here is the link for the burn-in noise (either .wav or .mp3)http://xeport.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=11&zenid=5fecc7a331a563aade7d3320876535ef

It's a sound that goes from either end of the spectrum with a background pink noise.

Playing your own music will work, but I've read from some audiophiles that an audio file that covers a larger range could work better. If you can put together a playlist that covers a wide range of sound then you could just use that.

You don't have to play it for 50 hrs straight. What you can do is do it overnight when you sleep, for 3 nights, and use it regularly during the day.

Here's the youtube clip of what it sounds like.

Here is the link for the burn-in noise (either .wav or .mp3)http://xeport.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=11&zenid=5fecc7a331a563aade7d3320876535ef

It's a sound that goes from either end of the spectrum with a background pink noise.

Playing your own music will work, but I've read from some audiophiles that an audio file that covers a larger range could work better. If you can put together a playlist that covers a wide range of sound then you could just use that.

You don't have to play it for 50 hrs straight. What you can do is do it overnight when you sleep, for 3 nights, and use it regularly during the day.

Here's the youtube clip of what it sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuMYmSRT2z

Okay, thanks for the help! I am new to this type of stuff, I just got a sound card and these headphones so I appreciate the help. :)

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

Okay, thanks for the help! I am new to this type of stuff, I just got a sound card and these headphones so I appreciate the help. :)

No worries! I hope you enjoy your new audio experience. =)

Nice review :)

I use a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, it is great!

I have it for more than 10 years and still works perfect, build like a tank, studio-grade.

Can highly recommend beyerdynamic, you cant go wrong with there headphones. ;)  :)

Nice review :)

I use a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, it is great!

I have it for more than 10 years and still works perfect, build like a tank, studio-grade.

Can highly recommend beyerdynamic, you cant go wrong with there headphones. ;)  :)

Wow that's amazing, it goes to show how little headphones and audio technology changes over the years.

The quality products that the Germans make is amazing, from fans to headphones to cars.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the very nice review!

As for burn-in, the notion is that you need to "break-in" the overly tight driver by extruding it (playing music through it) over a long period of time.  Back in the days of heavy, large, high impedance dynamic transducers, this mattered a lot more than it does now.  There are exceptions of course, such as exoteric polymer dynamic transducers like the one in the "varimotion" drivers on the AKG K702.  Your custom one pros probably need about 1-2 hours to break in.  There should be no special sound wave that does this better than others, as sound waves and your drivers move in a linear manner.

The other side of burn-in, is of course, burning in your brain to the sound signature of your new headphones.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Thanks for the very nice review!

As for burn-in, the notion is that you need to "break-in" the overly tight driver by extruding it (playing music through it) over a long period of time.  Back in the days of heavy, large, high impedance dynamic transducers, this mattered a lot more than it does now.  There are exceptions of course, such as exoteric polymer dynamic transducers like the one in the "varimotion" drivers on the AKG K702.  Your custom one pros probably need about 1-2 hours to break in.  There should be no special sound wave that does this better than others, as sound waves and your drivers move in a linear manner.

The other side of burn-in, is of course, burning in your brain to the sound signature of your new headphones.

Yes I've always wondered if it was myself that was just getting used to the sound, or the headphones actually breaking in and getting better.

With the "50 hours" I just quoted what other people have said in reviews (some who seem to be fairly knowledgeable in audio, and some who are just well known reviewers). 

As for me not being an audiophile and all, I mainly focused on the aesthetics, build quality, comfort, and some things that some reviewers didn't talk about. I figured that there is already enough reviews that talk more in depth about the sound quality.

But anyways, cheers for the read and the input you've given me! 

yea i had the same issue with the cord so i just replaced it with a cord that was braided anyways and a 45 degree connector on one side. ive never paid for a 3.5mm cable before this but honestly im so glad i did

yea i had the same issue with the cord so i just replaced it with a cord that was braided anyways and a 45 degree connector on one side. ive never paid for a 3.5mm cable before this but honestly im so glad i did

Did you by any chance buy the v-moda m80 cable?

Did you by any chance buy the v-moda m80 cable?

i sure did

best cable ive ever bought hands down

Great review! It looks even better with the white paddings. The Custom One Pro was one of those headphones I considered when I got my ATH-AD700X recently.

It's a great pity Amazon does not ship to my location for most products.

Nice review. I tried the Pros out at a local audiophile shop and I love how customisable it is. The sound may be a little to be desired for the price, but a good headphone nonetheless

They look awesome! And you can always use a Dremel to shave the notch off and use any cable.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

They look awesome! And you can always use a Dremel to shave the notch off and use any cable.

lol yeah, I wouldn't trust myself using a dremel for that (don't have steady hands), but I guess it could be done that way.

lol yeah, I wouldn't trust myself using a dremel for that (don't have stead hands), but I guess it could be done that way.

I wouldn't trust myself either. I chopped up the top of my Bitfenix Shinobi while modding a 240mm rad into it. By the way, what an awesome rig you have there.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I wouldn't trust myself either. I chopped up the top of my Bitfenix Shinobi while modding a 240mm rad into it. By the way, what an awesome rig you have there.

Cheers man! I'm quite proud of it myself  :)