What made you watch/join LinusTechTips?

lazydog

I've always had a liking for tech stuff, so when I discovered Linus' YouTube channel it seemed like a natural fit. As for the forum, I joined because the last forum I was an active member of (Pure Pwnage forums) died off many years ago and so I decided to finally sign up here after watching Linus' videos for a fair while..

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Once I searched for the difference between intel Core Processors...I saw the i3,i5,i7 video....Since then I Stayed around watching and enjoying LTT...:D

Intel i3-4150 3.50Ghz | MSI B85M-G43 | HyperX Fury 8GB 1866Mhz x1 | Intel HD 4400 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB , Samsung 160GB | Odyssey 450W | AOC E950Sw 18.5In | Windows 10 Pro | Zebronics Armour 2

I watched a build log earlier this year which was from a year or 2 ago where Linus was wearing a lab coat.

I don't remember how I got on to the video, it would have showed in the right hand pane of suggestions, I guess.

the way he gracefully abuses expensive tech.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

I found his video on mvix channel about nroken hard drive

PC Spec :

Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 3400G  ; Motherboard : MSI B450 A-Pro MAX ; RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX White 2 x 8Gb

GPU : Sapphire RX 5500 XT 8GB Pulse ; PSU : Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W, 80+Gold ; SSD : Samsung 860 EVO 250GB ; HDD 2 x WD Blue 1TB 3.5" ; Toshiba 1TB 2.5"

when I started learning about building a computer a few years ago, I noticed that LTT always had an answer to my question they always had the top rated video on my question. I decided to sub and start being active on the forum.

My Sightings on LTT : June 6th 2014 WAN Show After Party: Mario Kart 8 July 31st 2015 WAN Show: Tesla Topic   August 14th 2015 WAN Show: ESL Topic 
My Rig: i7 4770K | Z87 Sabertooth | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD 4TB Black | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair 750D | Corsair RM850  \
Peripherals: Triple VG248QE (1080p 144hz) | Corsair RGB K95 MX Blues | Razer Deathadder Chroma | ATH-M50X | JBL LSR305 | Mod Mic 4.0
Devices:Mac Book Pro Retina|iPad Mini (32GB) | HTC One M9 (160GB) Moto 360 (Black Leather) Nvidia Shield (80GB) Go Pro Hero 3+ Black

When I first built my PC, I wanted a Zalman Z11 Plus because I thought it looked cool, and Linus was one of the only people to have a review up. After the Z11 review I kept binge watching other reviews.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Wanted to build my first PC, a friend I knew built one, he sent me a link to some build log Linus made a few years back, and then it turned like popcorn, once you start watching you can't stop. 

The somewhat easy to understand and obviously knowledgeable host. That's what kept me watching Linus's vids. (Oh, and all the innuendo that would make a generally boring topic, watchable)

Some other tech show feel like they just hired some random guy to read a needlessly complicated script to make themselves sound knowledgeable, I don't get that feel with Linus. Kind of hard to convey.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I was looking at gaming laptops a couple years back.

Thankfully I never wasted money on such a thing and ended up buying what I have now a couple years later. :P

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

A friend told me about the channel.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Watched asus gtx 760 dcuII review with that penis...oh I mean pcb extension :-D instasub and instalike :-D

The days of core 2 duo. Omg I feel old. :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

When I was building my first PC back in December 2010 I saw some of Linus's videos whilst researching the parts.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I stumbled upon one of Linus's build logs while browsing Youtube. It was the first time I saw how a PC was built. I never thought that a PC could be built from scratch by hand. Then, after Watching al of Linus's videos (including Tech Quickies) I built my first PC, the one I currently own.

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

Although I vaguely remember finding out about it last August back when I was obsessively watching milder tech channels such as MKHBD and Austin Evans, I distinctly remember being truly introduced to it once I started my first year at College from a friend who was in the same IT classes. I stayed after that because Linus always seemed to know what he was talking about, and had that great sense of humor that keeps you interested - it's borderline cheesy, but he doesn't give you time to cringe. Overall, lots of his videos (especially his earlier Techquickie ones and build logs) have helped me to maintain my current computer, and upgrade some of the parts. I soon found out about JayzTwoCents, Tech of Tomorrow, and more recently Awesomesauce Network whilst searching for his videos.

I stay to this day because It's helped me with my comfortability in building and maintaining computers, and even watching some of the reviews for hardware I may never buy is really interesting because It allows me to understand what is available, and all the other YouTubers just top this off by adding more to what Linus has already said or missed out on.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

I find that YouTube channel forums are the best. Usually they have nicee people, and less uwnt m8 skrubs.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

Reviews for the most part, also I came across the WAN Show one night.

Build & peripherals:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k & Noctua NH-D15  | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero | Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 | Storage: OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD | Video Card: ASUS GeForce Strix GTX 1070 O8G Gaming | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | Power Supply: Corsair CX600M V2 80+ Bronze | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Monitors: ASUS VG 248QE & ASUS VS229HR | Headset: Hyper X Cloud II

reason to join the forum? he mentioned it was a great community on a couple of wan shows back then, so decided to see if it was actually any good & here i am, close to 3k posts later with an awesome community

Details separate people.

It was back around a 1y ago, I was looking into building a PC, and their simple videos helped me A LOT.

Nowadays, since I know the basics, I kinda just watch the videos and enjoy them, as I feel they are a bit superficial, and I'd rather read a long article on other sites, if I want to learn tech stuff. Still good for a quick reference, though.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I came across his videos when I was curious about PC gaming, searched the latest cpu at the time (980x) and then learnt a lot from his videos through binge watching, I also watched his cattips channel. I knew of the forums for a long time but was hesitant to join as I remember I can get so addicted to forums like in the past, (lol spend too much time) but decided to join as I wanted to share my own tips as well as learn from fellow members.

Some time ago I was looking for a review of some Razer peripheral, and found that guy with the weirdest humor (Linus), since then I've seen all the videos on all of the 3 channels and most on NCIX. Learned A LOT from them, and because of LTT i found my passion, now what's left is just how to combine my university degree and computers together in order to earn moneyz.

Thank you all LTT and keep up the great work.  :P

I was a poor AMD fanboy peasant until my friend at school stopped me and showed me the true way of LinusTechTips, along with Tek Syndicate. Both have proven to me that AMD is now inferior, and I have joined the Objectivity Masterrace. Such a happy camper.