Japan is turning back on their nuclear reactors

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/10/japan-to-restart-nuclear-power-tomorrow-after-energy-prices-soar/

We all remember the tragic event that happened back in 2011 in Japan. A giant tsunami hit the island and caused the Fukushima nuclear reactor to leak out large amounts of radiation. This caused Japan to shutdown all of its nuclear reactors by the end of 2013. Since then Japan has had to live off of other energy means, and this has caused prices to skyrocket. Energy prices have risen around 30% in Japan since 2011. Japan has made the decision to slowly but surely restart its nuclear reactors. 

The first reactor to go back online is reactor number 1 at the Sendai nuclear power plant. At the current time I'm typing up this thread, I'm sure the reactor is already online by now. With the return of Japan's nuclear reactors, the country has adopted even stricter safety measures for their nuclear plants. These new safety measures include additional safety rules and a stronger, higher tsunami wall near the nuclear plant.

Despite these new safety measures, many people are not happy about this decision, and protesters even gathered in front of the plant to oppose it being restarted. I can certainly see why they would be concerned, and I don't blame them at all, but sooner or later Japan has to start using nuclear power again to reduce energy costs. It was never a matter if they would bring them back online, but when they would be back online, and this is to be expected. 

The rollout will be slow, as there's no news of other reactors coming back online. Hopefully they won't run into the same situation as before.

479740432.jpg

COMIC SANS

I understand why they do it, but it should be safety of citizens above all, no matter the cost.

Let's hope this doesn't go wrong again any time soon.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

NO. We need more nuclear power. I want they entire world to be powered by either thorium or if we must uranium reactors. But maybe put them in a safer spot. Idk in a desert without tectonic activity or something.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

NO. We need more nuclear power. I want they entire world to be powered by either thorium or if we must uranium reactors. But maybe put them in a safer spot. Idk in a desert without tectonic activity or something.

Trouble is, they need an active water supply for cooling, not something you can find in a desert. From memory japan runs through a fault line so seismic activity is unavoidable

I thought the title was "Japan turns its back on their nuclear reactors"

Incidentally, diametrically opposed to the actual statement :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Nuclear power is a necessity, windmills are good but they don't provide enough, dams cause havoc on the environment, solar farms are good but they only work during the day. And in places where sunlight isn't guaranteed because of weather there aren't a whole lot of options.

More usage means we will also gain more insight to how we can better use the technology, that's at least how I see it.

So many are against nuclear power "because radiation" or "because toxic waste", radiation doesn't leak out of functional plants first off, and the amounts inside are minimal, you could get more by going to the beach. And the waste isn't all that radioactive, it's been used up already, there isn't much of it, and it doesn't need to be buried beneath mount everest for it be "safe".

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Trouble is, they need an active water supply for cooling, not something you can find in a desert. From memory japan runs through a fault line so seismic activity is unavoidable

Sidiox - Chemistry Student

Sidiox - Chemistry Student

Why was I quoted here? If you want to correct me go ahead.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

It's only a matter of time till more and more of the human population relies on nuclear power. Is it too early now? Who knows.

From my (now limited) geography, Japan seems one of the worst and best places to have nuclear reactors. While Japan is basically surrounded by water that can be used to cool down the reactor(s), it's also prone to disasters like Fukushima. Wouldn't it be safer to "rent" some space from, say, China and have their reactors there and just run underwater powerlines from there (while giving the Chinese a slice of the generated power)?

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

From my (now limited) geography, Japan seems one of the worst and best places to have nuclear reactors. While Japan is basically surrounded by water that can be used to cool down the reactor(s), it's also prone to disasters like Fukushima. Wouldn't it be safer to "rent" some space from, say, China and have their reactors there and just run underwater powerlines from there (while giving the Chinese a slice of the generated power)?

i'm pretty sure the Chinese and Japanese populous hate each other.

i'm pretty sure the Chinese and Japanese populous hate each other.

T'was an example. NZ is also an option. Hell, even de land down unda' (provided the power distribution would work over that long a distance)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

T'was an example. NZ is also an option. Hell, even de land down unda' (provided the power distribution would work over that long a distance)

I think in general its a terrible idea. A country would sacrifice much of its political power by allowing its energy producing units to be physically elsewhere.

I think in general its a terrible idea. A country would sacrifice much of its political power by allowing its energy producing units to be physically elsewhere.

Trading political power for general population safety seems pretty fair to me. Then again that might just be me

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Trading political power for general population safety seems pretty fair to me. Then again that might just be me

Perhaps. It's really up to the Japanese people I suppose.

Perfect conditions for this in Australia. Come on Australia, pls we need better sources of energy than fossil fuels.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Well Japan doesn't have a lot of choice. Japan is pretty mountainous and a lot of it's grounds (73%) are not suitable for aggriculture or industry (src: wikipedia). Due to a lack of natural resources, Japan has to import a lot of raw materials. This means being dependent on other countries a lot.

Nukes are relatively efficient when compared to coal or oil plants. They don't polute the air as much, as well as the fact they don't need much fuel to burn.

Only downsides are the water that's needed for cooling and the fact that if they go haywire (due to earthquakes/tsunami's for example) you're gonna have a bad time.

But than again, Japan is known for their high quality and low tolerance manufacturing. Also I don't believe they would let such a disaster happen again  ;)

The LFTR for a Thorium reactor doesn't work via water cooling. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BcHx_9DMcc

Its incredibly safe and much more powerful than a Plutonium and Uranium reactor.  

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

We need safer containment vessels. Ones strong enough that the reactor could go full on meltdown, and the vessel still contains the molten fuel as well as the radiation from it.

The LFTR for a Thorium reactor doesn't work via water cooling. 

-snip

Its incredibly safe and much more powerful than a Plutonium and Uranium reactor.  

It's fairly telling that all the politicians could do was make jokes. Telling that either they are in on it, or just don't understand a single thing about it and are afraid of looking like freaking morons.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

the next generation nuclear reactions use molten salt instead of heavy water and would be much safer. also there are reactors that dont use water like pebble bed reactors which use helium gas. if they are switching to wind and solar i wouldnt be too upset about this but they are probably going to go coal which is a huge step backwards

basically you dont have to worry about a nuclear reactor even if there is no coolant if you have no oxygen. people think that the fukushima nuclear reactor exploded because of steam pressure but the ratio of water to water vapor is 1:1000 and the nuclear reactor compared to its housing is built in the same 1:1000 ratio the problem was it got so hot that the water broke down into hydrogen and oxygen and once there is oxygen in those high temps boom thats why many next generation nuclear reactors use sodium as the coolant and something like a pebble bed reactor uses helium gas

Perfect conditions for this in Australia. Come on Australia, pls we need better sources of energy than fossil fuels.

Perfect conditions in Australia to lead the way with just about any power technology we want (including thorium) and for whatever reason we can't get the government to even talk about it. :angry:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Why don't the countries with available cash (such as Japan) support ITER? Obviously this isn't going to help in the short term, but Japan imo is neatly demonstrating exactly why it is necessary.

If ITER is successful, we will herald a new age of potentially limitless energy. I don't understand why the world seems to underestimate fusion technology - almost ALL of our energy already arrives on the earth via a fusion reactor (the sun) - why aren't more people interested in this technology? Fusion simply seems to be the answer to everything. 

Yes, it is merely theoretical physics in 2015, but Nuclear Power was, too once upon a time. From what I can see, Fusion offers greater potential energy output, at substantially lower risk. Am I missing something or do countries such as Japan simply consider it a pipe dream?

edit: Just noticed Japan has already signed up :/

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Why don't the countries with available cash (such as Japan) support ITER?

Japan already supports ITER. It's going to take a long time to get viable fusion power though.

Hell, even de land down unda' (provided the power distribution would work over that long a distance)

Have been saying this for years, we have a massive desert unoccupied, why do we not have massive solar farms?!?! Nuclear power however, i don't think would go down well with the Aus public and i would probably be quite scared to be anywhere near it too.

Good. The more nuclear power generation and less coal/oil the better. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro