DVI-D port on my GTX 980 TI gygabyte G1 Gaming stopped working

progamer94

I bought a gtx 980 ti G1 Gaming edition a few weeks ago and was running 2 monitors both via dvi and it was fine but now the second dvi port which is dvi-d only has stopped working, when I plug a monitor into it, it acknowledges that there's a cable plugged in but no signal is coming through. I should also note that the hdmi port is already taken for my tv and neither of my monitors have display port so the dvi is all I can use. The things I've done to try and fix this is:

• try the gpu in another pc, it worked in the other pc
  • update the bios
  • uninstall and reinstall graphics drivers
  • tried different dvi cables
  • tried different monitors (no monitor or cable combination works on that port)
  • put in my old gpu (a gtx 660) which runs both monitors on dvi just fine
  • checked the drivers for the monitors but they were fine
  • tried different pci-e  power cables

My pc components are:

• PSU : SS-1050XM Active PFC F3
  • CPU : 3570k
  • RAM : Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FBK2/16 16GB
  • Motherboard : ASUS p8 z77-v
  • GPU : Gigabyte gtx 980 ti G1 GAMING

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the store I bought it from cant do anything with it because it worked fine in there test system.

• try the gpu in another pc, it worked in the other pc

Do both DVI ports work as they should in the other PC? 

"Rawr XD"

Do both DVI ports work as they should in the other PC? 

When I took it back to the store the guy said he tried both ports in there test system and it worked fine.

Use a DisplayPort-to-DVI cable.

^ this

but if a port really stopped working... please just rma the card

(◑‿◐)

^ this

but if a port really stopped working... please just rma the card

I will look into getting that cable but as for the rma as I said they cant do anything because it worked fine in there test system

When I took it back to the store the guy said he tried both ports in there test system and it worked fine.

i had a guy test my dead cpu saying its fine aswell ( chip wouldnt boot in 5different mobos ) finally decided to replace my chip and then problem solved ( another guy tested it after that and the cpu was 100% dead.. lol )... some ppl are stores arent really smart somtimes ( he prolly using a different dvi port then u were using ... wouldnt suprise me.. lol )

dont always buy the ....  IT WORKS FINE IN OUR TEST SYSTEM SO IT IS FINE...  if it doesnt work for u it doesnt work and they need to resolve that issue for u coz u have ur rights on warranty and replacements

(◑‿◐)

i had a guy test my dead cpu saying its fine aswell ( chip wouldnt boot in 5different mobos ) finally decided to replace my chip and then problem solved ( another guy tested it after that and the cpu was 100% dead.. lol )... some ppl are stores arent really smart somtimes ( he prolly using a different dvi port then u were using ... wouldnt suprise me.. lol )

dont always buy the ....  IT WORKS FINE IN OUR TEST SYSTEM SO IT IS FINE...  if it doesnt work for u it doesnt work and they need to resolve that issue for u coz u have ur rights on warranty and replacements

In that case I might try and take it back in and get them to let me watch when they do there test (unlikely as they do it out the back in there warehouse) other then that I might have to t=get the dvi to display port cable and see if that works.

If the store tested it and it works, you sir, have a wonky DVI cable ;)

I have tried 4 different cables and a different monitor and all of them worked fine on the other dvi port

In that case I might try and take it back in and get them to let me watch when they do there test (unlikely as they do it out the back in there warehouse) other then that I might have to t=get the dvi to display port cable and see if that works.

even if u would see it personally that it works fine on their end... i would still use my rights for a replacement with warranty :P thats me...   but if it does work great on their machine id might rma my motherboard instead xD  cuz then its prolly mobo/pci lane related

(◑‿◐)

even if u would see it personally that it works fine on their end... i would still use my rights for a replacement with warranty :P thats me...   but if it does work great on their machine id might rma my motherboard instead xD  cuz then its prolly mobo/pci lane related

I will definitely try and get a new card out of them but as for the motherboard, that thing is almost 3 years old so no chance on an rma 

I will definitely try and get a new card out of them but as for the motherboard, that thing is almost 3 years old so no chance on an rma 

in my country its a law to give atleast 3years warranty wether its 2years through retailer and 1year through manufacturer... 3years is a must here

if the mobo is the issue id still claim a rma even if the store says 2year warranty    ( aslong the board aint older than 3years )

anyways besides that u can try different pci express slots :P see if that helps.. after all ^^, if that doesnt help id blame gpu even if it works in their test bench... if they dont believe it just make a video of it and claim ur warranty ( if they would refuse id personally would become a little more violent coz i got my damn rights and my warranty, and even sue them if i have to xD haha )

(◑‿◐)

in my country its a law to give atleast 3years warranty wether its 2years through retailer and 1year through manufacturer... 3years is a must here

if the mobo is the issue id still claim a rma even if the store says 2year warranty    ( aslong the board aint older than 3years )

anyways besides that u can try different pci express slots :P see if that helps.. after all ^^, if that doesnt help id blame gpu even if it works in their test bench... if they dont believe it just make a video of it and claim ur warranty ( if they would refuse id personally would become a little more violent coz i got my damn rights and my warranty, and even sue them if i have to xD haha )

I'm heading to the store now so fingers crossed , but thankyou for all the input. :)

I'm heading to the store now so fingers crossed , but thankyou for all the input. :)

finger cross mate(for them not beeing dicks about it)... claim that warranty!! gogo!!

(◑‿◐)

UPDATE: I went to the store they again told me they couldn't give me a replacement card, but when I got a bit more aggressive towards them about it they said they would let me pick another model of 980ti, so I got the msi gaming card which works perfectly in my system :D

UPDATE: I went to the store they again told me they couldn't give me a replacement card, but when I got a bit more aggressive towards them about it they said they would let me pick another model of 980ti, so I got the msi gaming card which works perfectly in my system :D

You should never settle for a broken GPU's. 980Ti's are not cheap, so don't ever think you need to just deal with it.

Even if I bought something for £1 and it doesn't work, I would return it. If I wanted a paper weight or door stopper then I would buy one for that specific reason.

It's not a race to the bottom.