A New Company Called Alphabet Now Owns Google

Blade of Grass

IMG_5684.jpg

GOOGLE HAS REORGANIZED itself into multiple companies, spinning off several of its most ambitious projects alongside its core Internet business under a new umbrella company called Alphabet.

“What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google,” Google co-founder Larry Page said in a blog post this afternoon. “This newer Google is a bit slimmed down, with the companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products contained in Alphabet instead.”

In other words, Google will continue to run internet-centric services such as Google Maps, YouTube, Chrome, and Android. But “moonshot” projects such as its X Lab and its Calico life extension project will operate as somewhat separate entities.

“Fundamentally, we believe this allows us more management scale, as we can run things independently that aren’t very related. Alphabet is about businesses prospering through strong leaders and independence,” Page wrote.

Via: WIRED

Interesting idea, not too sure how this 'new' owner will affect how Google is run, but I'm willing to see what happens.

Here is the new company's website: https://abc.xyz/

The website contains the same press release as their blog page.

EDIT: just noticed something at the bottom of the article

According to Page’s post, Alphabet will eventually report earnings of Google separate from the other spinoff companies. For the moment, according to the company’s SEC filing, Alphabet will eventually replace Google as the publicly traded company on the Nasdaq stock exchange, and all shares of Google will convert to shares of Alphabet. Company shares will continue to trade on the Nasdaq under the same GOOGL and GOOG ticker symbols.

Great Tl;dr

• Larry Page, Co-Founder & Ex-CEO of Google Makes New Parent Company for Google: Alphabet
  • Larry Page now CEO of Alphabet
  • Sundar Pichai (Worked on Creating Gmail, Maps, & Android) is appointed the CEO position for Google
  • Alphabet is a company with divisions like google, android, youtube, nest...

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Wow, what? Isn't Google basically the god of the internet? It's a little weird to me that they can simply be acquired...

EDIT: Oh, this is a Google project thing, I see.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Spinning off companies to stop the FTC throwing the anti-monopoly rulebook at Google and the IRS from auditing their books?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Heard a rumor about this a week ago and got myself some options. A very nice move of 5% on after hours trading. Making a holding company is a nice way to avoid paying taxes.   

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

Wow, what? Isn't Google basically the god of the internet? It's a little weird to me that they can simply be acquired...

GOOGLE HAS REORGANIZED itself into multiple companies, spinning off several of its most ambitious projects alongside its core Internet business under a new umbrella company called Alphabet.

They weren't acquired.

Alphabet was made by Google basically.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

This is the beginning of the end for people who look up to google's practices. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

do they really own google?

Conglomorate 101.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I suppose it is a way of breaking down what Google does for the public, as to many people 'Google' means a search engine, but 'Google' actually covers android, search engines, self driving cars, advertising, youtube etc so 'Google' is almost too vague a term. Along with some tax savings I guess.

-snip-

Probably just a way to avoid certain taxes or something :/

Also, that title is so misleading, it's the same people -_-

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

This is going to be great, breakdown of google itself into (almost) single entities.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Guy...please make better titles that the one you made.....i almost pushed the..........

Probably just a way to avoid certain taxes or something :/

Also, that title is so misleading, it's the same people -_-

I just copied the title from the WIRED article :P

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Spinning off companies to stop the FTC throwing the anti-monopoly rulebook at Google and the IRS from auditing their books?

i don't mind.

I just copied the title from the WIRED article :P

I would edit it....it's a little bit clickbait/misleading...it sounds as if a company bought out Google :S

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Great for keeping Europe on it's toes and looking silly. Now we will see News Headlines reading "EU Fines the Alphabet for 100 Million Euros." 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Just trying to weasel its way out of EU and FTC scrutiny... Which will fail in the prior case and succeed in the latter case.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This is like reclassifying a species in another genus. It's still the same animal.

So they've finally acknowledged that people mainly use Google to find out how to spell difficult words and are rebranding accordingly.