970 and AA issues

mystic

Hello!

I bought Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 at launch, 0 issues. After few months I noticed more aliasing and shimmering in my games than usual. It happens in EVERY game, I'm 100% sure it wasn't like that before. I know that at 1080p you can't avoid all jaggies etc but it's simply too much. I do know that games (especially these days) aren't perfect and devlopers often piss on proper AA. I also know there are some engine issues in various games aswell but it happens in every game I play. I visited my friend and he gets less jaggies and shimmering at 1080p than me after heavy downscaling :huh: What sorcery is this? I have no idea what's happening. Some people on the Internet suggested that I'm going crazy but I don't think it is true  :lol: . This is extremly annoying, I almost lost my desire to play.  :angry:

Some examples (watch fullscreen in HD):

https://youtu.be/Dg08ZBOKOWw?t=1m24s

https://youtu.be/-aXE_IC1pgw?t=26s

Using DSR or forcing max AA does help A BIT but not much. The only way to get somewhat clear picture is to force SGSSAA.

I also noticed white dots would appear on shiny/wet or metallic surfaces(around edges) and change based on position. Affects mostly armors (Lords of the Fallen, Witcher 3 etc).

My rig:

CPU: 4770k

GPU: GTX 970 Gigabyte G1

RAM: Crucial 8GB Ballistix

MOBO: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4

Monitor: 23MP65

PSU: Evga G2 750W

Resolution 1920x1080. 

I have tried:

- messing with every setting I could,

- changing HDMI cable,

- connecting the monitor via DVI and Displayport,

- changing my monitor,

- different drivers and Windows/Linux,

- even RMAed my first 970, issue still exists.

I found pretty big topic about it here https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/831430/geforce-900-series/pixelated-shadows-texture-popins-gtx-960-970-980-ect-/1/

Seems like this issue could be power related but my card runs great with 0 hitching, temp problems etc. Some people in this thread suggested it's a hardware virus LOL, it does sound ridiculous but everything is possible I guess.

Do you guys think it's normal and I should play like AA was never invented?

Thanks in advance.

Are you running any kind of overclock???? And have you tried a different monitor or cable to monitor??? Also have u tried various old and new drivers???

EDIT: Just finished reading post! So overclock???? Oh and PSU??

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Same issue here. When I first got my G1 970 I didn't notice it. I don't know if the issue was there or I just didn't notice it right away. I also have some weird issues like flickering shadows, lights and for some reason text flickers in GTA V after heists. But then I also noticed something that appears to be z-fightning in BF4 and Crysis 3, which I also didn't spot before either, yet when I put my 290X in the same rig I had the same issue. 

I'm too lazy to put it back in and see if the issues with the AA and the flickering are there as well.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

• 8 months later...

did you find a solution to the issue ,i have a similar issue and cant seem to find an answer as to what is causing this.Many people have this and it is quite annoying.

i have this issues too.. and i have low draw distance,texture popins,jagged aa,pixelated shadows and more.. i never overclock this pc.. can you try underclocking yours? it might work