Which headsett should i buy? ~200-250usd

erikmidtun
Go to solution Solved by Oktyabr,

Would you recomend these for mostly gaming and movie watching? and how are they in general? 

Edit: Are they comfortable to use for about 7 hours a day?

They are excellent.  They do away with the bumpy headbands of some of the earlier AKG K/Q models, have the same (expensive!) earpads made of velour covered memory foam as the K712, very light weight for a headphone their size and the adjustment bands are great!  Just put them on your head.  No messing around trying to get just the right fit.  They adjust their fitment automatically.

Sound quality?  Superb, but I AM an AKG fan so perhaps I'm biased.  I use them for gaming, movies, and of course music... everything from jazz and classical to heavy metal and electronica.  If they didn't make me happy I would have replaced them by now.

If the quality on the mic is the same as the modmic, which i assume is good (based on all of you guyses recomendations  :) ), i would gladly go for something cheaper. How does the BoomPro work? it seems like the 3,5 mm connects to the headsett, but no all headsetts have removeble cables, so will this be a problem if i decide to go with something like the dt 770/990? Also thanks for listing some other choises of headphones :). I will take a look at them.

That is precisely the case.

The BoomPro works by utilizing a headset's existing 3.5mm port. Rather than a separate mic that you attach with magnets and adhesive to your headphones (potentially damaging them) the BoomPro acts as an in-line microphone as part of your 3.5mm cable. Unlike most inline mics you usually see for mobile devices, etc. the microphone is high quality, noise canceling, and has an integrated boom.

Downside is of course not all headphones have removable cables and those that do sometimes use non-standard or proprietary connectors, IE AKG uses MiniXLR and Sennheiser though they use 3.5mm they also have a proprietary locking mechanism. So the BoomPro is limited in the headphones you can use them with, but I had already made the decision not to support companies that don't allow for easily replaced cables.

When choosing headphones in this price range the build quality and long term use should definitely be something to consider. The #1 point of failure for my old headphones were cables, followed distantly by pads. When I chose a higher end headset for myself an easily replaced cable and user replaceable pads were high on my priority list and why I paid the extra for my Fidelio X2 vs the X1 version which was cheaper and sounded very similar overall.

What's with the unwarranted hate for m50x around here, every time someone mentions m50x people would starts flipping out. xD

Alright they're terrible value for the current price and I'd much prefer the ad900x, but m50x are frequently discounted to $100-120 and at that price it's not too bad. It's an overpriced mediocre headphones, but it's not a bad headphones at any price bracket or the second coming of Beats. It's the same case with hd650 tbh, and no one flips out on those when it's $450-500 now when I wouldn't spend more than $300 maybe $350 for them.

Anyway op, +1 for dt770/990 and a clip mic.

They're not hated just overpriced and when they're recommended it's just wasting other people's money which isn't cool.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

What's with the unwarranted hate for m50x around here, every time someone mentions m50x people would starts flipping out. xD

Alright they're terrible value for the current price and I'd much prefer the ad900x, but m50x are frequently discounted to $100-120 and at that price it's not too bad. It's an overpriced mediocre headphones, but it's not a bad headphones at any price bracket or the second coming of Beats. It's the same case with hd650 tbh, and no one flips out on those when it's $450-500 now when I wouldn't spend more than $300 maybe $350 for them.

Anyway op, +1 for dt770/990 and a clip mic.

See, just about any time that the hd650 is recommended, it is for a specific reason, or its recommended in line with its cheaper brother, the hd600 or, we suggest they get it used/only buy it for about $300 or less. Pretty much nobody that suggests the m50x suggests anything along those lines. That's why none of us freak out about it; the recommendation gets qualified. Also, if someone is recommending the hd650, they usually get suggested by someone that *actually* has listened to more than a single headphone that costs more than $100 (that headphone being the m50x)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

@iShad as SSL and Kaminkevcrew said, a lot of people who recommend M50x either never listened to it in the first place or it's the only true audio branded headphone they've ever tried.

When HD650 cost around $450-500, it's considered as a high end headphone with HD800 costing $1500. At the time, it sounded good for the price and competes with K702 and DT880 in the same price bracket.

M50x suggestion gets thrown every single time someone asks for a headphone recommendation. Who the hell would suggest m50x for classical genres other than morons?

In my mind, HE-500 is the perfect headphone for a perfect price. Lush yet detailed headphone at $500. But it doesnt mean i'd recommend it to someone looking for dark sounding headphone for EDM, oppo PM2 and LCD-2 are the headphones for that kind of requirement

@iShad as SSL and Kaminkevcrew said, a lot of people who recommend M50x either never listened to it in the first place or it's the only true audio branded headphone they've ever tried.

When HD650 cost around $450-500, it's considered as a high end headphone with HD800 costing $1500. At the time, it sounded good for the price and competes with K702 and DT880 in the same price bracket.

M50x suggestion gets thrown every single time someone asks for a headphone recommendation. Who the hell would suggest m50x for classical genres other than morons?

In my mind, HE-500 is the perfect headphone for a perfect price. Lush yet detailed headphone at $500. But it doesnt mean i'd recommend it to someone looking for dark sounding headphone for EDM, oppo PM2 and LCD-2 are the headphones for that kind of requirement

Exactly! :)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

It's up to your preference really whether to go open or closed.  I find that open are better for competitive gaming due to a better sound stage.  The drawback is that you can hear everything around you.  Therefore if you have your tv on it can mess you up if you're trying to listen to footsteps.  Either way though I use open myself and wouldn't change.  As for recommendations, the two that mentioned are usually highly recommended.

Will there be a problem with open back headphones and a modmic? Will the mic pick up the sound from the headphones? or is it noise cancelling? i never have the volume too high. On my current headsett, the Corsiar Vengence 1500 V2, I usually have the volume on max 50%.

Will there be a problem with open back headphones and a modmic? Will the mic pick up the sound from the headphones? or is it noise cancelling? i never have the volume too high. On my current headsett, the Corsiar Vengence 1500 V2, I usually have the volume on max 50%.

Unless you set the volume to extremely loud, the mic wont pickout the sound

The M50X and family are highly recommended because they are good value (i.e. under the $200 mark), well made (I used mine every day for years before I gave them to my wife), collapsible for travel, have replaceable ear pads and cables, and already have thousands of reviews, so they are recommended quite often, and they sound GREAT too... and that's coming from an old AKG fan boy!  The hate?  See all of the above.

Open backed vs closed back?  I personally prefer open backed but if I was going to a LAN party or similar I would be taking a pair of closed back instead... not because of the sound that leaks out from open backed but because of the sound that leaks IN.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

The M50X and family are highly recommended because they are good value (i.e. under the $200 mark), well made (I used mine every day for years before I gave them to my wife), collapsible for travel, have replaceable ear pads and cables, and already have thousands of reviews, so they are recommended quite often, and they sound GREAT too... and that's coming from an old AKG fan boy! The hate? See all of the above.

Open backed vs closed back? I personally prefer open backed but if I was going to a LAN party or similar I would be taking a pair of closed back instead... not because of the sound that leaks out from open backed but because of the sound that leaks IN.

Try at the $100 mark. For anything over that, they are overpriced and not very good.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

The M50X and family are highly recommended because they are good value (i.e. under the $200 mark), well made (I used mine every day for years before I gave them to my wife), collapsible for travel, have replaceable ear pads and cables, and already have thousands of reviews, so they are recommended quite often, and they sound GREAT too... and that's coming from an old AKG fan boy!  The hate?  See all of the above.

Open backed vs closed back?  I personally prefer open backed but if I was going to a LAN party or similar I would be taking a pair of closed back instead... not because of the sound that leaks out from open backed but because of the sound that leaks IN.

That is one of the reasons i might be concerned about getting a open back headphone. After reading all of you guys recomendations, and when I hear the that most of the audiophiles on the internet likes open back headphones for gaming and in general, I kinda grew into liking the idea of a open back headphone. I use a headsett for about 4-7 hours every day, and that's why I want to get the best experience possible, both in comfort and quality. I think maybe im going to try buying an open back headphone and check if it's something for me. If it's not, well then ill just refund them and buy a closed back one. Or maybe if I like them, ill keep them, and buy a pair of m40x in a while, so i can use in situations where i can't use a open backed one, like on a LAN party. The price of the m40x isn't too bad, so if they are good, i can justify that buying decision. 

Have you tried the M40X? That's basically an M50X without the silver ring...

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

But silver is pretty and it costs more so it much be better.

/s

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Honestly I have not.  But the silver ring is NOT the only difference either.  The M50X has a 1.77" diaphragm, the M40X is 1.57" (45mm driver vs 40mm).  The M50X is also listed as having a slightly higher impedance, sensitivity, and is *advertised* as having treble extension to 28kHz.  The M40X is advertised as having 24 kHz.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Try at the $100 mark. For anything over that, they are overpriced and not very good.

Really?  Each to their own, of course, but if there is a better built (with a similar number of satisfied customers), better sounding closed back can for under US$169 (Amazon...  white ones are actually $149 right now), I'd like to know what it might be.  Don't forget detachable cables (two are included with the M40X, three with the M50X), folding for travel, replaceable ear pads, a pleather storage bag, and of course that magical silver ring!!!  

They are a jack of all trades and pack a ton of value.  I'd buy them again in heart beat, if I didn't already own a pair.

Honestly I have not.  But the silver ring is NOT the only difference either.  The M50X has a 1.77" diaphragm, the M40X is 1.57" (45mm driver vs 40mm).  The M50X is also listed as having a slightly higher impedance, sensitivity, and is *advertised* as having treble extension to 28kHz.  The M40X is advertised as having 24 kHz.

Driver size doesn't do much in terms of sound quality, and that 4khz difference between the two... let me tell you, based on measurements and even perceived sound, their both different by a hair. Spec sheets don't say much about sound quality other than sensitivity (which matters more than impedance), but in terms of the M40X and the M50X... the M50X isn't worth its added price tag.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Driver size doesn't do much in terms of sound quality, and that 4khz difference between the two... let me tell you, based on measurements and even perceived sound, their both different by a hair. Spec sheets don't say much about sound quality other than sensitivity (which matters more than impedance), but in terms of the M40X and the M50X... the M50X isn't worth its added price tag.

Not to YOU, it isn't ;)  What's that extra cable worth, if you went out to buy one for the M40X (US$19-29.99 on Amazon for OEM replacements)?  Did you know the earcups on the M50X rotate 90 degrees in either direction?  The M40X (apparently), only in one direction.  The 45mm driver may help with bass reproduction... as many reviewers claim.  The M40X is also 1.5 ounces lighter than the M50X...  Why, I wonder?  Certainly a driver that is only 5mm smaller couldn't make that much difference.

The point is that while I would fully expect the M40X to serve to all the same capacity as the M50X, at least how *I would use them*, with a sound more similar than not, the differences are much more than just a "silver ring"...  And while it's perhaps appropriate to recommend the 40 over the 50 to some people, especially if the budget is rather tight, it is not accurate to recommend them to everyone on the "silver ring" premise.

Its not just features both the M40x and the M50x have different sound profiles.

I have listened to both and the M50x has too much bass emphasis for me and I actually prefer the sound on the M40x over its bigger, more expensive brother, because I found the bass on the M40x to be less overbearing.

They may be related, but they each have their own sound and not comparable in the least in my book, it really depends if you like that modern, more "fun" sound with (in my opinion) overbearing low end that appeals to so many people.

I saw on massdrop just now, the AKG K7XX for 200 usd, is this headphones to consider? It says that it usually is priced 650 usd.

I saw on massdrop just now, the AKG K7XX for 200 usd, is this headphones to consider? It says that it usually is priced 650 usd.

The K7XX is the headphone I use all day, every day now.  I LOVE them, and at US$200 I can't recommend them enough.  They ARE open backed though!  But if you are good with that and can afford them, yeah, I would jump on them.  I have no regrets!

650 usd?  I don't know about that.  I would compare them to the AKG K712, whatever those cost in Norway.  I used to own both and sold the K712.  No differences I could detect (besides the orange trim on the K712).

The K7XX is the headphone I use all day, every day now.  I LOVE them, and at US$200 I can't recommend them enough.  They ARE open backed though!  But if you are good with that and can afford them, yeah, I would jump on them.  I have no regrets!

650 usd?  I don't know about that.  I would compare them to the AKG K712, whatever those cost in Norway.  I used to own both and sold the K712.  No differences I could detect.

Well on the massdrop site, it started on the 650 usd, and then when enough people bought them they dropped to 200 usd.

In Norway, the K712 Pro costs about 440 usd.

If this is as a good of a deal as it seems, i might actually just drop everything else and buy these  :P.

Yup!  K7XX = K712.  The K712 does come with an extra cord and a velour travel bag but I never used the bag and extra cords are cheap for the AKGs.  

Yup!  K7XX = K712.  The K712 does come with an extra cord and a velour travel bag but I never used the bag and extra cords are cheap for the AKGs.  

Would you recomend these for mostly gaming and movie watching? and how are they in general? 

Not to YOU, it isn't ;)  What's that extra cable worth, if you went out to buy one for the M40X (US$19-29.99 on Amazon for OEM replacements)?  Did you know the earcups on the M50X rotate 90 degrees in either direction?  The M40X (apparently), only in one direction.  The 45mm driver may help with bass reproduction... as many reviewers claim.  The M40X is also 1.5 ounces lighter than the M50X...  Why, I wonder?  Certainly a driver that is only 5mm smaller couldn't make that much difference.

The point is that while I would fully expect the M40X to serve to all the same capacity as the M50X, at least how *I would use them*, with a sound more similar than not, the differences are much more than just a "silver ring"...  And while it's perhaps appropriate to recommend the 40 over the 50 to some people, especially if the budget is rather tight, it is not accurate to recommend them to everyone on the "silver ring" premise.

Extra cables, rotatable earcups, 5mm extra driver size, 1.5 ounces heavier, and you're most likely basing it off of reviews and spec sheets and reviews that most likely don't explain why bigger is better. If you want large driver sizes, go with the MA-900. Not big enough for you? Go planar magnetic headphones since its common to see them passed the size of 70mm. Weight? Get lighter headphones. Rotatable earcups? Not like the M50X is the only headphone that can do that. Extra cables? Take care/Don't lose your cables. Better sound quality? Brainwav HM5 can outdo those. I don't even care how and why the M50X got in Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame, but okay...

The point is that since OP has a higher budget, why recommend the goddamn M50X? If it was a tighter budget, why recommend the M50X as well? Its little brother does the same thing anyways, arguably more neutral (though I usually do legit blind tests with a blindfold and some of my mates swapping headphones to actually have a more audio perception to tell the difference. The benefits of having meetups with headphone enthusiasts.), just has less "add-ons", and other cheaper headphones that even do a better job than the M50X. 

Its not just features both the M40x and the M50x have different sound profiles.

I have listened to both and the M50x has too much bass emphasis for me and I actually prefer the sound on the M40x over its bigger, more expensive brother, because I found the bass on the M40x to be less overbearing.

They may be related, but they each have their own sound and not comparable in the least in my book, it really depends if you like that modern, more "fun" sound with (in my opinion) overbearing low end that appeals to so many people.

This is why I do my tests with blindfolds so I don't have any bias and have a better chance to actually NOT know whats on my ears. IMHO, the M40X is a better deal while the M50X is just overhyped.

Fuck me, the same conversation again.

I know the feeling... I guess.

BUY IT! I basically hate what happens to companies under Harman (I don't like how they made JBL and AKG drop their quality control, but I have to hand it to both of them for pumping out great products. I like my Studio 230 from JBL and like the AKG K7XX, though I much prefer the K612, but I miss the times that AKG would make something crazy like the K 240 Sextett/DF/600 ohm headphones that actually sound really good despite being rather not-so-stellar in the bass department) but give them a shot. The K7XX is a China-fied K702 65th anniversary edition as far as I know. Nothing wrong with China, I just hope the factory they have doesn't use children who've been stripped away of their rights to go to school or have fun like kids.

They are excellent.  They do away with the bumpy headbands of some of the earlier AKG K/Q models, have the same (expensive!) earpads made of velour covered memory foam as the K712, very light weight for a headphone their size and the adjustment bands are great!  Just put them on your head.  No messing around trying to get just the right fit.  They adjust their fitment automatically.

Sound quality?  Superb, but I AM an AKG fan so perhaps I'm biased.  I use them for gaming, movies, and of course music... everything from jazz and classical to heavy metal and electronica.  If they didn't make me happy I would have replaced them by now.