Which headsett should i buy? ~200-250usd

erikmidtun
Go to solution Solved by Oktyabr,

Would you recomend these for mostly gaming and movie watching? and how are they in general? 

Edit: Are they comfortable to use for about 7 hours a day?

They are excellent.  They do away with the bumpy headbands of some of the earlier AKG K/Q models, have the same (expensive!) earpads made of velour covered memory foam as the K712, very light weight for a headphone their size and the adjustment bands are great!  Just put them on your head.  No messing around trying to get just the right fit.  They adjust their fitment automatically.

Sound quality?  Superb, but I AM an AKG fan so perhaps I'm biased.  I use them for gaming, movies, and of course music... everything from jazz and classical to heavy metal and electronica.  If they didn't make me happy I would have replaced them by now.

Hi!

Recently I broke my current gaming headsett, Corsair Vengence 1500 V2. I currently have it duck taped together, but it won't last. It is a headsett I bought a little over a year ago, because i didn't realy have any money at the time, and because i had broken my previous headsett, the Logitch G45 (loved the mic mute when taking the mic up). I never really liked the the Corsair Vengence 1500, the audio wasn't too good, the mic was terrible and I always hated the volume/mic controls on the wire. But they were really comfy  :)

I watch alot of video content (youtube, netflix etc.), but i rarely listen to music. I also play some games and i am skyping with my friends all the time. I want a headsett which is built well, have a good mic, and ofcourse have good audio quality. 

I have looked around and there was two that peaked my interest:

Sennheiser PC 353d - The headsett seems to be good all around, but im a little worried about it being an open driver headsett. Im not used to that, and I don't know what to expect. Also, it is wired, which is the reason my two previous headsetts broke, since the wire got caught in my chair and the headsett fell on the floor when i stood up. Also, it doesn't look too good in my eyes (it doesn't really matter too much, but we all kinda want the coolest looking stuff, right?)

Steelseries H Wireless - This headsett looks cool, and by what i have heard, it is supposed to be pretty good for a wireless headsett. The only concern i have here is the mic.

Do you guys think i should buy one of these? or should i go for something else, maybe a pair of headphones and a seperate mic? 

EDIT: it seems that i didn't include my budget in this description, I did have it in the title, but i guess it wasn't clear for everybody  :). my budget is 200-250 usd, but the prices in my country may vary. Also if there is a need, and if you guys have really good options, i can up the budget a little bit.

This is the site where i check for prices in Norway: http://www.prisjakt.no/

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I have ordered the AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition, it was too good of a deal, and i will order the modmic 4.0 at a later date.

i would get separate 

m50x+http://www.modmic.com/

Agreed, no headset is worth its price IMO, if you already have a good pair of headphones that you are comfortable with just get a blu snowball or something like that.

Hi!

Recently I broke my current gaming headsett, Corsair Vengence 1500 V2. I currently have it duck taped together, but it won't last. It is a headsett I bought a little over a year ago, because i didn't realy have any money at the time, and because i had broken my previous headsett, the Logitch G45 (loved the mic mute when taking the mic up). I never really liked the the Corsair Vengence 1500, the audio wasn't too good, the mic was terrible and I always hated the volume/mic controls on the wire. But they were really comfy  :)

I watch alot of video content (youtube, netflix etc.), but i rarely listen to music. I also play some games and i am skyping with my friends all the time. I want a headsett which is built well, have a good mic, and ofcourse have good audio quality. 

I have looked around and there was two that peaked my interest:

Sennheiser PC 353d - The headsett seems to be good all around, but im a little worried about it being an open driver headsett. Im not used to that, and I don't know what to expect. Also, it is wired, which is the reason my two previous headsetts broke, since the wire got caught in my chair and the headsett fell on the floor when i stood up. Also, it doesn't look too good in my eyes (it doesn't really matter too much, but we all kinda want the coolest looking stuff, right?)

Steelseries H Wireless - This headsett looks cool, and by what i have heard, it is supposed to be pretty good for a wireless headsett. The only concern i have here is the mic.

Do you guys think i should buy one of these? or should i go for something else, maybe a pair of headphones and a seperate mic? 

Thanks guys!

I'd recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50X or M40X + an Antlion Modmic

Or if you're okay with a desktop mic, the Audio Technica AT2020USB is an amazing choice. (Blue snowball and yeti sound poopy in comparison.)

Or maybe the Rode NT-USB.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I would get the DT 990 Pro, and a seperate microphone, just don't get something like a ATH-M50x and you should be fine.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I'd recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50X or M40X + an Antlion Modmic

Or if you're okay with a desktop mic, the Audio Technica AT2020USB is an amazing choice. (Blue snowball and yeti sound poopy in comparison.)

Or maybe the Rode NT-USB.

I am not sure about a desktop mic, but i guess i would get used to it.

I think i would rather have a modmic. How is the audio quality on those? and is it easy to use?

Good set of headphones + External mic is always better, especially if you have $200-$250 to spend. You can get a lot more out of buying separate than just getting a headset.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Audio technica m40x and a modmic, don't go for the m50x as there's near enough no difference sonically, however you could also go for the beyerdynamic dt770/990 and a modmic or a desktop mic like the Samson meteor/blue snowball.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I would get the DT 990 Pro, and a seperate microphone, just don't get something like a ATH-M50x and you should be fine.

Do i need an AMP for headphones like that, or will i be ok with the onboard soundcard?

I am not sure about a desktop mic, but i guess i would get used to it.

I think i would rather have a modmic. How is the audio quality on those? and is it easy to use?

Very good audio quality, and very easy to use.

I saw one in perfect condition in the classifieds for like $30 a few days ago, maybe check that out unless you'd rather get it new.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Very good audio quality, and very easy to use.

I saw one in perfect condition in the classifieds for like $30 a few days ago, maybe check that out unless you'd rather get it new.

In Norway, where I live, a new Modmic cost about 700 nok, which is about 85 usd. so it is kinda expensive, but it looks pretty good.

Do i need an AMP for headphones like that, or will i be ok with the onboard soundcard?

It would be ok, with onboard.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

if you need closed the dt770+ mod mic is also good

I have watched alot of reviews and such, and now there is three that looks good in my eyes:

• Audio Technica ATH-M50X
  • Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 Ohm
  • Sennheiser HD598

Which one should i go for? There is a price gap between them, but it does'nt really matter that much, but of course if I don't have to spend extra money, Ill be glad  :) 

Seems like this forhum is useless if people just get their info from video "reviews" anyway. Why not buy an M50x, sure, $50 for a silver plastic ring.

Seems like this forhum is useless if people just get their info from video "reviews" anyway. Why not buy an M50x, sure, $50 for a silver plastic ring.

Isn't it good that im trying to educate myself? Of course i value all of yours answers, i wouldn't ask here otherwise. Also you guys had different opinons. About half said to buy M50X/M40X, and some said it wasn't a good choice. I looked at the M50X becouse i think they looked better than the M40X, and the different cables. If I were to buy the M50X i guess i would use it on something else than my computer too. The DT990 or the HD598 is headphones i defenetly would use on my computer, and on my computer only.

I have watched alot of reviews and such, and now there is three that looks good in my eyes:

• Audio Technica ATH-M50X
  • Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 Ohm
  • Sennheiser HD598

Which one should i go for? There is a price gap between them, but it does'nt really matter that much, but of course if I don't have to spend extra money, Ill be glad  :) 

Isn't it good that im trying to educate myself? Of course i value all of yours answers, i wouldn't ask here otherwise. Also you guys had different opinons. About half said to buy M50X/M40X, and some said it wasn't a good choice. I looked at the M50X becouse i think they looked better than the M40X, and the different cables. If I were to buy the M50X i guess i would use it on something else than my computer too. The DT990 or the HD598 is headphones i defenetly would use on my computer, and on my computer only.

Well, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say you should give the AKG K612 a try. See how much it costs first, but as far as I know its around the same price (if not cheaper) as the DT990 with not as much bass but is rather neutral.

For your budget, I'd stay away from the M50X.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

What's with the unwarranted hate for m50x around here, every time someone mentions m50x people would starts flipping out. xD

Alright they're terrible value for the current price and I'd much prefer the ad900x, but m50x are frequently discounted to $100-120 and at that price it's not too bad. It's an overpriced mediocre headphones, but it's not a bad headphones at any price bracket or the second coming of Beats. It's the same case with hd650 tbh, and no one flips out on those when it's $450-500 now when I wouldn't spend more than $300 maybe $350 for them.

Anyway op, +1 for dt770/990 and a clip mic. 

What's with the unwarranted hate for m50x around here, every time someone mentions m50x people would starts flipping out. xD

Alright they're terrible value for the current price and I'd much prefer the ad900x, but m50x are frequently discounted to $100-120 and at that price it's not too bad. It's an overpriced mediocre headphones, but it's not a bad headphones at any price bracket or the second coming of Beats. It's the same case with hd650 tbh, and no one flips out on those when it's $450-500 now when I wouldn't spend more than $300 maybe $350 for them.

The main issue is that the M50x gets recommended by every shitwit who thinks they're hot stuff because they watched a single youtube review on headphones.

This means that it gets trotted out in 100% of headphone recommendation threads regardless of whether it is

• Appropriate for the OP's requirements and use case
  • Within or a good use of the OP's budget
  • Inferior to other options

No I'm not "dumb" or "stupid", maybe the OP should include it in their post instead of just the damn title next time.

And how about you be less of an asshole next time?

Calm your fucking tits asshole, No reason to get so worked up over a little mistake.

How about reading the damn title or even asking how much OP's budget is if you didn't notice the title? I am allergic to things that are dumber than me.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

How about reading the damn title or even asking how much OP's budget is if you didn't notice the title? I am allergic to things that are dumber than me.

Thanks for quoting this. The awesome mods went and deleted posts for some reason, because that obviously is a great way to deal with forham conflict.

Thanks for quoting this. The awesome mods went and deleted posts for some reason, because that obviously is a great way to deal with forham conflict.

I'm surprised they kept that one.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Forget the ModMic, get a BoomPro.

It is not only cheaper but has much cleaner cabling, with similar mic quality.

Headphones depend on your preference, Philips SHP9500V-MODA Crossfade LP, Koss Pro4S, AudioTechnica AT-M40xPhilips Fidelio X1, or any other one with standard 3.5mm cable port will do.

If the quality on the mic is the same as the modmic, which i assume is good (based on all of you guyses recomendations  :) ), i would gladly go for something cheaper. How does the BoomPro work? it seems like the 3,5 mm connects to the headsett, but no all headsetts have removeble cables, so will this be a problem if i decide to go with something like the dt 770/990? Also thanks for listing some other choises of headphones :). I will take a look at them.

Ok, let's say that the m50x are out of the picture and i should consider to get the m40x instead, like some of you have said previously.

Currently i'm leaning on the dt770/990 headphones, since they seems good all around. If i were to go with either, which should it be? In my understanding, they are very similar. The 770 is closed, and the 990 is open. Is the 990 worth the upgrade from the 770? The 250 Ohm models are priced with 250 nok (30 usd) difference between them. A thing to consider is that i go to a local LAN party once or twice a year + sometimes with my friends. It tends to get loud, and will there be a problem with me using open back headphones then? 

Thanks!

although I don't think it was a reason to get mad about, it is my fault for not adding it in the description and im sorry for it. I will update the description so noone will be confused if they try to help me  :D.

Im also adding here that i won't make a real decions before the end of the month, because currently my wallet is empty :P.

Thanks again everyone!

It's up to your preference really whether to go open or closed.  I find that open are better for competitive gaming due to a better sound stage.  The drawback is that you can hear everything around you.  Therefore if you have your tv on it can mess you up if you're trying to listen to footsteps.  Either way though I use open myself and wouldn't change.  As for recommendations, the two that mentioned are usually highly recommended.