What unpopular tech opinions do you have?

Mao_Zedong

I think 4:3 monitors aren't so bad, they're fucking cheap and there's nothing wrong with them (if you can get a good one)

So many things I could write here... things like this.

i love apple. i like my razer stuff.

AIO water coolers are a complete waste of money and you're universally better off with either a conventional air cooler or a custom loop.

True, but custom loop is waste of money too. I mean I see people doing a custom loop on i5's with 1 midrange videocard... like wuuuuuut?

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

hat virus scanners are pointless

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

In my opinion, everybody holds their iPhones the wrong way, when in landscape mode. The home/Touch ID button should be on the left side, not the right! It's that way in apple's ads, commercials, and demonstrations. Yet basically everyone I know with an iPhone holds it with the button on the right. It's kind of a pet peeve I guess...

I'll give you a reason why I do this, my right thumb rest on the home when it's on the right side, yes I can do that with it on the left, but the lock screen button and volume button my finger rest in the volume button and can easily slide down to screenshot or lock my iPad. It's just uncomfortable for me.

Few unpopular opinions...

-I don't agree with SSDs in pcs that cost $1,300 or less. To me you loose quality and performance trying to squeeze an SSD in PCs cheaper then that.

-(This is a few but I'll count as one, it's brands I don't really care for that a ton of people like) I personally don't like Corsair, ASUS, and Fractal design. A ton of people like these brands but I just ant see what people see in them.

-I don't like triple monitor setups ( eyefinity ) for gaming. For productivity like forumn browsing, YouTube, ect... Ect.. It makes perfect sense.

- I don't like cheap chairs... ( Generally $100 and below is what most people use and I've had three, no more after this one. )

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Windows 8.1 is not bad by any means. Windows 10 is horrible because it forces updates.

Razer mouse mats may be expensive, but I really like mine.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

"Gaming" laptops are a waste of money, I prefer having a 1000$ desktop and a 1000$ MacBook Air than having a 2000$ brick that slowly squishes my intervertebral disks. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

"Gaming" laptops are a waste of money, I prefer having a 1000$ desktop and a 1000$ MacBook Air than having a 2000$ brick that slowly squishes my intervertebral disks. 

This is supposed to be unpopular opinions, not ones that 95% of people agree with.

That anyone upgrading to Windows 10 for full time daily use is a mindless sheep.

Enjoy being key logged and spied on, and especially enjoy when that is exploited and all your passwords are stolen.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

970 is an amazing value for the price.

How is that unpopular ?

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

True, but custom loop is waste of money too. I mean I see people doing a custom loop on i5's with 1 midrange videocard... like wuuuuuut?

Especially now with processors being so efficient.  9 times out of ten, you'll hit the limits of the silicone before the temperatures become a major issue.  But outside of that, I still think Custom Loops have plenty of value from a hobbyist's standpoint.  At a certain point, it's not about increasing performance but instead, Custom Loops are about creating something interesting and unique to the builder.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

I'll give you a reason why I do this, my right thumb rest on the home when it's on the right side, yes I can do that with it on the left, but the lock screen button and volume button my finger rest in the volume button and can easily slide down to screenshot or lock my iPad. It's just uncomfortable for me.

Few unpopular opinions...

-I don't agree with SSDs in pcs that cost $1,300 or less. To me you loose quality and performance trying to squeeze an SSD in PCs cheaper then that.

-(This is a few but I'll count as one, it's brands I don't really care for that a ton of people like) I personally don't like Corsair, ASUS, and Fractal design. A ton of people like these brands but I just ant see what people see in them.

-I don't like triple monitor setups ( eyefinity ) for gaming. For productivity like forumn browsing, YouTube, ect... Ect.. It makes perfect sense.

- I don't like cheap chairs... ( Generally $100 and below is what most people use and I've had three, no more after this one. )

My PC cost me roughly $1200 so far and I've got a SSD :P (Specs in sig)

I agree with the triple monitor opinion, I tried it with three of the monitors I had and it made me soo motion sick... but for productivity it was amazing.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Some people swear to the 390 and denounce anybody who faintly suggests the 970 as a viable option. 

That's funny, it's a contrary unpopular opinion to what I said. (I said that most people seem to completely disregard AMD).

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Wii U is the most stable console.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

agreed, though Tesla motors is working on battery swaps at their charging station if I remember right...

Actually Tesla is scrapping the project. They said less than 10% even tried it (they had it optioned at several supercharger stations) and those that did almost never did it again. People just dont like the idea of community batteries. 

Linux on the desktop is crap.  

I am a really big Windows guy, I've also been a programmer since I was old enough to read/write (about 25-30 years ago).  I've been playing with Linux since the 90s, and it hasn't improved at all.  Between hardware incompatibilities, config file edits, missing drivers, etc...you spend more time tinkering with the OS then getting work done.  My desktop runs Windows 10 (gaming, web browsing, some programming) and my laptop is a Macbook Pro running OS-X.  OS-X is the best OS i've used yet.  Combining an easy to use 'it just works' interface with the unixy style environment of Linux.  Note that I'm not an Apple fanboy at all...my Macbook is the only apple product I own.

A programmer friend of mine took his Macbook and replaced OS-X with Linux...I wanted to strangle him.  To each his own i guess.

Also, Linux is an AMAZING server OS.  Specifically, Amazon Linux, CentOS, or Debian.

I bring this up with most 'real' professional developers and they laugh at me.  Me?  I want to get shit done and not have X stop working due to a hardware change.

Apple is the best! No viruses! No troubleshooting!  Overpaying is ok if you are paying for quality!

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Corsair's CX PSUs aren't as bad as most people say they are.

I find people writing about themselves in the 3rd person to be a bit taxing.

You know who you are.   B)

And with regard to the topic of this thread, "Always spend more than you can afford when buying a PC".

I have 3 more:

• PWM fans are unnecessary, voltage control worked just fine(since it was PWM!). I view it as DRM for fans.
  • uEFI was a step back in technology. It literally didn't benefit anything, but over complicated things in some cases.
  • The "good ol' days"(95 to 2009) were the best times for computing, as companies weren't afraid to try new things(remember the ECS boards that had an add in card to make intel boards support AMD chips? I do! I also miss the purple PCBs and bright colors all manufactures used to use).

This is supposed to be unpopular opinions, not ones that 95% of people agree with.

Well, most people I know do not agree with me on this...

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

Mac's aren't all bad if you can get one for a good deal. the tech community is SO much against Apple it's ridiculous.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Elon Musk is over rated.

ATX is almost always unnecessary.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro