What unpopular tech opinions do you have?

Mao_Zedong

What opinions do you have about technology (especially computers) that most people disagree with? My example is that I think that the 960 and 970 are still great values. The 380 is slightly better than the 960, but the 960 can be overclocked to be practically the same speed as the 380 can be OCed to. I think one reason people overvalue the 380 is because they are just reposting things they've heard, and the 280/285 used to be a better value than the 960 because they were a bit cheaper. Even in cases where the 960 is $40 less, people still argue for the 380. So thats mine, but I want to hear your unpopular tech opinions.

A lot of people seem to think that AMD is shitty. (Those people don't know shit :P) They say they should just use intel and nvidia all the time because reasons.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

970 is an amazing value for the price.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

A lot of people seem to think that AMD is shitty. (Those people don't know shit :P) They say they should just use intel and nvidia all the time because reasons.

Because AMD is obselete and not worth paying for with what they are offering CPU wise.

Intel makes the only CPU which you can justify paying for right now.

Because AMD is obselete and not worth paying for with what they are offering CPU wise.

lol this is for unpopular opinions

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

It depends what you're doing. For gaming, yes (besides the 860k in some cases). For budget productivity, no.

AMD processors are not worth buying under any circumstances, all hail Intel!

Yeah... no. AMD processors are more than capable playing triple-A titles when paired with an appropriate graphics card. Intel is great if you have the money but a lot of times an upgrade just isn't worth it if you already own an AMD CPU or if you can get one for very cheap. I own and use an i7 4790k as well as an AMD FX 6100 on a daily basis, both can play all the games I want to play on the highest settings with, believe it or not, minimal FPS differences. This testing was done on the same R9 280 that I own. 

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation

• Low-mid range graphics cards are more fun than flagship cards. You have to push them harder to get the desired performance, and they're cheaper, so you can buy more of them :)
  • ^ Same thing with low-mid range PC's in general.
AMD FX isn't terrible nor garbage, people are just using it wrong.Windows 7 was the last good Windows operating system. Also, Windows 95 was the last time Microsoft truly innovated.The Apple MacBook is a great machine.

i love my amd fx 9590! (blahblah blah i know i5 is better blah blah blah ctisicn critiscm....)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

That AMD CPUs/APUs are a viable option if a G3258 isn't going to be enough for someone.

That Apple is an okay company (though there are places that they could improve in (Namely how their products are manufactured), OS X is nice (and so is Linux)...

I don't particularly care for Windows 10 especially because out of the box privacy is limited (and the charms bar wasn't bad, the placement of the searchbar sucks but at least that can sort of be remedied.) 

(I know by using Google services I can throw privacy out the Window too but at least that's easier to moderate, so it looks like if I buy W10 I'll probably have to get the Pro version so I can regulate what the OS does instead of the OS doing whatever the hell it wants to do.)

Windows 8.1 isn't a bad OS. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

An unpopular opinion of mine: I don't see much of a value in overclocking ... and therefore have never really been interested. I play all my games at 1080p (another unpopular thing lolol) so I just don't see much difference in like a ~10 fps boost when you're getting 150fps anyway. Im sure if I played games at 4k then I would care a bit more, but as of right now, overclocking is irrelevant to me. 

However, I often under clock my hardware to reduce power consumption. Why pay more for power when you don't really need to?

MacBooks are cool.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

An unpopular opinion of mine: I don't see much of a value in overclocking ... and therefore have never really been interested. I play all my games at 1080p (another unpopular thing lolol) so I just don't see much difference in like a ~10 fps boost when you're getting 150fps anyway. Im sure if I played games at 4k then I would care a bit more, but as of right now, overclocking is irrelevant to me. 

However, I often under clock my hardware to reduce power consumption. Why pay more for power when you don't really need to?

Yeah i've been feeling the same way, I don't see overclocking as that big of a thing personally, But then again im just not one for pushing my things to the limit :).

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

My unpopular opinion ; For light usage and even light gaming a C2Q will be enough ...

*run to cover*

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Corsair's CX PSUs aren't as bad as most people say they are.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Macs are good value.

Probably that AMD has a lot to work on to still satisfy me. I am no Nvidia elitest and I would gladly use an AMD card but their drivers and software are meh to me, and their cards seem lackluster. Especially the Fury X. Sure, the 4 gigs of HBM is equivalent to 6 gigs of GDDR5, but it's new, and still slower than the 980 Ti. AMD needs to impress me sooner. Also that using a fan controller isn't a rip off. Why use a motherboard's automated systems when I can just adjust things the way I want it right on my case?

I'm going to punch your face- IN THE FACE.

Handheld consoles are not obsolete.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

unpopular? oh boy, you're gonna hate me for this..

i think most of us are way too enthusiastic about unnecessary gaming & hardware technology & frequent update buys , just saying that  that money could've been used for a better cause for humanitarian purposes , in a way we're selfish but don't want be seen as selfish when we're discussing it.. 

*grabs a huge bucket of heavily salted popcorn*

Details separate people.

Got my 4K monitor today. It's utterly completely BULLSHIT. Now I had a 4K IPS TV for about 1 year now, so I knew how 4K looks like, but seriously the colours of this TN piece of shit xD! The 60hz refresh rate makes me puke just 1 month after getting my glorious Acer XB270HU monitor which is IPS 144hz 1440P.

It's the Acer Predator XB280HK by the way.

Bring on a Rog Swift with  8K, with an OLED panel and 120 or 144hz refreshrate and G-SYNC. My body is ready!

42516_87_asus-teasing-4k-60hz-ips-based-

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Kubuntu is the best OS.

Electric cars will only be successful if at service stations their batteries are changed, not charged. (you leave them there and they charge them for someone else. You get other ones that are charged already) It's quicker that way. Standardising batteries isn't hard. We did it with AA, we can do it with car batteries.

Controlling a fan by voltage is oftentimes better than using PWM. 

Noise dampening in a pc is an important aspect in case design

AMD's project Skybridge was the way forward and it's a damn shame it got delayed.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Electric cars will only be successful if at service stations their batteries are changed, not charged. (you leave them there and they charge them for someone else. You get other ones that are charged already) It's quicker that way. Standardising batteries isn't hard. We did it with AA, we can do it with car batteries.

agreed, though Tesla motors is working on battery swaps at their charging station if I remember right...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !