LinusMediaGroup internet speeds?

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

What people seem to forget is the service associated with business & enterprise grade connections. I've got FTTP but my internet goes out, cool, what happens? I wait up to a week, maybe more for the ISP to get it fixed and that's if they can find an issue with it. Business and enterprise grade connections come with SLA's; guarantee's to meet a certain product being supplied. Your internet fails on an SLA'd connection? The response time for most of the customers I've seen is between 15 to 60 minutes for acknowledgement and about 4-8 hours for service to either get back to normal or have a time as to when that'll happen.

I'd assume around $300/mo. Idk how expensive Internet is in Canada xD

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Can you guys guess how much linus pays for his internet? I was wondering what your guesses might be, because over here in california i have this: http://www.speedtest.net/result/4569349402.png

Also what do you guys pay for internet? In all seriousness i wanted to ask someone with google fiber how it is to have 1gbps

Also what is linus's internet speed :P

You don't need google fibre to have 1gbps (125mB), here in Portugal Vodafone has 1gbps internet too, though only in Lisabon, I think :(

EDiT: for like 40€, it was for 24,9€ a month but that was only till 31 July

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

actual data cap or fake data cap? 

All of eastlink's home plans have a 250gb cap, then its $1 per gb after. We use about 300-350gb a month.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

All of eastlink's home plans have a 250gb cap, then its $1 per gb after. We use about 300-350gb a month.

oh cause at&t has a 250gb too but they don't enforce it. i have used over and no charge

LMG is getting FTTP, which is much more expensive and more redundant than any other form of connection, and is also the fastest, and is also the most expensive.

FTTP pricing is usually based on distance to the nearest exchange, and linus said that the iTel guy said that he's only a couple of blocks away from the hub and so I'm guessing from a number of variables he paid $900 setup and $1200 CAD monthly for the connection.

Seems pricey.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

wow i pay for 100 maps and get like 10 mbps.

How much do you pay for 100 maps? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

they get around 200 mb per second

meanwhile me in aus getting 10 mb per second, fast for aus

u wot m7+1

How much do you pay for 100 maps? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

i don't know but a lot. With cable about $200 a month.

i don't know but a lot. With cable about $200 a month.

How much bananas is that?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I got 120/12 just because I can't get any better in the area where I live...

i pay $30 for 36 down and like 6-7 up

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Paying £40 for a 8/0.7mbps speeds...damn it's expensive for that speed 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

What people seem to forget is the service associated with business & enterprise grade connections. I've got FTTP but my internet goes out, cool, what happens? I wait up to a week, maybe more for the ISP to get it fixed and that's if they can find an issue with it. Business and enterprise grade connections come with SLA's; guarantee's to meet a certain product being supplied. Your internet fails on an SLA'd connection? The response time for most of the customers I've seen is between 15 to 60 minutes for acknowledgement and about 4-8 hours for service to either get back to normal or have a time as to when that'll happen.

Out here in NJ Im getting 50/50 for $120 but that also includes TV and phone since we use the same provider for home phone, internet, and TVs (3 cable boxes)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

4574122409.png

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

I pay way too damn much for 20mbps up, 2mbps down, shitty data but actually good ping because ISPs don't give a shit about people in the Midwest. We're stuck with the worst and most expensive internet.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

How much bananas is that?

100 mdps.

attachicon.gifhm.JPG

My ping is because I'm 30+ miles away, so it jumps between 10-20 depending on various things.  We pay 105 for this.

I get that on a wireless connection from my router. Is this test wired or not?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

This is wired, but we are also on a dying router.  R6300 v1.

oh lord,

i understand now

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"