Certain Swedish high schools add 3 hours of eSports classes a week

novasae

Three high schools in Sweden will be featuring eSports as a class in the coming semester. Pupils will be able to practice and learn games such as Dota and Counter-Strike, to name a few.

Certain schools in Sweden will now be supporting eSports for the upcoming semester. Three high schools (one in Karlstad, one in Ovanåker and one in Stockholm) will be featuring eSports as a subject in their classes. Neither school will be providing a full blown eSports program but outside of the mandatory subjects such as math and language there will be subjects such as eSports, Dota and Counter-Strike offered for certain alignments.

The eSports subjects will be treated like regular athletic oriented ones, where the students get access to rooms and areas designated for practice and similar. There will also be school teams within the different games, aiming to compete at tournaments such as Dreamhack. Known players and personalities will be invited to give guest lectures. At the school of Voxnadalen located in Ovenåker, students studying events will also get to host a larger tournament as their end project for the third year. A few hours a week would be committed to eSports in the schedule.

"The school system must get better in general in educating people about the contemporary society and this is good evidence of that very fact", says Ibrahim Khalifa in a press message. Khalifa is Chairman of the Education and Employment Board in Sigtuna county, located in Stockholm. Magnus Alehed, principal of the school in Karlstad, tells Swedish media Aftonbladet how "there have been some frowning noses and some wondering why they get to play computer games during school hours, but we aim to kill the myth that it has to be a bad thing. Furthermore, it is about showing respect to this group of pupils."

http://www.gosugamers.net/counterstrike/news/32120-certain-swedish-high-schools-add-3-hours-of-esports-classes-a-week

This is awesome, I wanna move to Sweden now

INTEL i5 4670 (non-K) | MSI H81I | XFX Black Edition R9 280 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB

Seasonic M12II EVO 620W | SEAGATE Barracuda 2TB

CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport 8GB | CM Elite 130

@techswede want to switch countries?

I would love to be able to play CS:go in school. I hate PE.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Seems really nice. Though kids should also learn that only a small percent of them actually might go professional. I personally don't have a issue with it, people accept gym classes, why not Esport too?

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Seems really nice. Though kids should also learn that only a small percent of them actually might go professional. 

Football etc is taught in schools and it's recieved perfectly fine. I see no problem with it.

INTEL i5 4670 (non-K) | MSI H81I | XFX Black Edition R9 280 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB

Football etc is taught in schools and it's recieved perfectly fine. I see no problem with it.

Lol just before you quoted me i edited it :P

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I Love PE,Maybe Cause I Bench 150 :)

That's physical activity to keep your healthy, this is just a waste of time.

I actually wanna see studies which confirms this. I had gym classes, but it just made me hate sports even more.

Sure.. This is idiotic

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I Love PE,Maybe Cause I Bench 150 :)

I enjoy going to the gym I go twice a week min BUT I dont like sports at all

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Sure.. This is idiotic

It Is Pretty Stupid,Without PE,I Would Be 250 Pounds

Same But Im Thinking Of Going Into Football Again

I actually wanna see studies which confirms this. I had gym classes, but it just made me hate sports even more.

Congratulations, you hate exercise. What in my post needs "studies to confirm it?" Hmm?

Yeah i talked with a lot of people who did sports outside school and they also hated gym class.

That's physical activity to keep your healthy, this is just a waste of time.

There are Chess clubs, how is that any different?

Chess is also consider a sport by the Olympic committee. 

I personally LOVED PE and it was hands down one of my favorite classes, but having this is cool IMO.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Chess clubs are usually not held during school hours, this is.

I'm sure if we looked hard enough, we could find a class all about chess :P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It Is Pretty Stupid,Without PE,I Would Be 250 Pounds

Same But Im Thinking Of Going Into Football Again

They could split the hours they waste on this up to add two or three hours every week where the students could do their homework in school.

I know i would've loved that back when i was in school. More time after school to not give a shit about school

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Congratulations, you hate exercise. What in my post needs "studies to confirm it?" Hmm?

Well i did hate gym classes, boring and waste of time. I have nothing against going to a gym. 

What i put in question is if gym classes actually make students more active? Which i don't believe they do.

Calm down, nothing stated that they're cutting pe or anything, these are additional and likely optional classes

Well i did hate gym classes, boring and waste of time. I have nothing against going to a gym. 

What i put in question is if gym classes actually make students more active? Which i don't believe they do.

I can confirm, most PE teachers are directly evolved from Neanderthals 

They could split the hours they waste on this up to add two or three hours every week where the students could do their homework in school.

I know i would've loved that back when i was in school. More time after school to not give a shit about school

I Agree,Or More Time In Classes,My Classes Have 50 Minutes,No Where Enough Time To Finish Anything

I'm sure if we looked hard enough, we could find a class all about chess :P

And if you do it should be moved to after school.

What i put in question is if gym classes actually make students more active? Which i don't believe it does.

What part of what I said implied that it's 100% effective? It's there to keep you healthy, whether or not you're a lazy bum is besides the point. It's there for a good reason.

tumblr_lmyn47BlIN1qa9689.gif

I'm wondering who is going to teach them. Hiring few pro players seems like the way to go I guess.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB