Installing NVIDIA driver runs through installer, but device manager still shows Microsoft DA

Hi, i'm running Win10 on my Macbook white mid 2010.

I installed the NVIDIA GPU driver (i've tried 285.62, 306.97, 332.21 and a few others that i can't recall.

After installing one of the drivers, it still shows the Microsoft display adapter in device manager. So i used DDU to uninstall. It uninstalls the driver, and says that it couldn't remove it fully because it was in use.

I rebooted, from safe mode to a normal boot, and installed another driver. Same story.

So i've no idea how to fix this, believe me i've tried...

thanks in advance!

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

what gpu is in there?

NVIDIA Geforce 320m. Designed for this macbook specifically 

i probably should've mentioned that.

Also: email notifications don't seem to be working at the moment..

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

NVIDIA Geforce 320m. Designed for this macbook specifically 

i probably should've mentioned that.

Also: email notifications don't seem to be working at the moment..

dont apple uses a specific driver set?

maybe check their website

They've got their own drivers. I thought that the NVIDIA ones would work as well. I've just run DDU, and i'll try one of apple's drivers.

They're nested in the boot camp software, so i completely forgot about them.

Although, i have the boot camp support software installed, and the nvidia driver didn't show in device manager then.

Okay, i've just installed the apple driver for the GPU, and it's in an automatic repair loop. It's a win7 driver, because that's the only os that my mac officially supports. Although other people have got this working.

I've had this before. So where do i go from here (macbook is sitting on the recovery screen)

Okay, i've just installed the apple driver for the GPU, and it's in an automatic repair loop. It's a win7 driver, because that's the only os that my mac officially supports. Although other people have got this working.

I've had this before. So where do i go from here (macbook is sitting on the recovery screen)

well you could try looking up guides on how other people did it

and then do it in safe mode or 800x600 mode

Hi, i'm running Win10 on my Macbook white mid 2010.

I installed the NVIDIA GPU driver (i've tried 285.62, 306.97, 332.21 and a few others that i can't recall.

After installing one of the drivers, it still shows the Microsoft display adapter in device manager. So i used DDU to uninstall. It uninstalls the driver, and says that it couldn't remove it fully because it was in use.

I rebooted, from safe mode to a normal boot, and installed another driver. Same story.

So i've no idea how to fix this, believe me i've tried...

thanks in advance!

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

you need the mobile drivers

should work

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Sorry for the late replies

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

you need the mobile drivers

should work

I didn't find "320m" or "apple" anywhere on that page

well you could try looking up guides on how other people did it

and then do it in safe mode or 800x600 mode

I've just tried the latest driver for win10 (supports 320m) and installed in safe mode. Back in an automatic repair loop :(

It's difficult to search for the Macbook white mid 2010, because every search always points to the macbook pro

I've just tried the latest driver for win10 (supports 320m) and installed in safe mode. Back in an automatic repair loop :(

you won't find that

you need the device id

check in device manager

whats the device id is

It's difficult to search for the Macbook white mid 2010, because every search always points to the macbook pro

yeah maybe try updating drivers through device manager

device manager > display adapter > select it > right click > "update driver"

yeah maybe try updating drivers through device manager

device manager > display adapter > select it > right click > "update driver"

I've tried that method too :)

I've tried that method too :)

give me the hardware id

and I can show you which one

you won't find that

you need the device id

check in device manager

whats the device id is

Okay, i'll do that after i uninstall the nvidia driver to get out of this repair loop

give me the hardware id

and I can show you which one

I can do that just fine.

Latest is 341.71, which i've already downloaded from NVIDIA and tried.

Do i need to use the INF file?

I can do that just fine.

Latest is 341.71, which i've already downloaded from NVIDIA and tried.

Do i need to use the INF file?

do you know what a hardware id is?

the site already would have the mac version

just need to know which one

do you know what a hardware id is?

the site already would have the mac version

just need to know which one

I just used the hardware id, and yes i know what it is.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers?dev=08A0⊂=00CE106B&whql=0〈=0&orderby=version&dir=desc&os=

probably have to install the 8 drivers...unless you mod the driver yourself  ..its not very hard

probably have to install the 8 drivers...unless you mod the driver yourself  ..its not very hard

Okay, do you know how i'd do that?

Here's two posts i've found that are related

Hi, I have asked for help to nvidia customer support regarding this issue and after exchanging a few troubleshooting emails they suggested I should try downloading the video drivers from an alternative 3rd party source who modifies them to work in notebooks (when you download the package from nvidia you get the message your hardware is not supported).

The 3rd party driver link that supports GeForce 320m is www.laptopvideo2go.com

For windows 7, 32bit the precise driver download link is: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win7x32/258.69/disclaimer

Below are the exact instructions for nvidia support service:

1. On the following page, click on "Click here to download the requested driver." to download and save the driver file on to your Desktop.

2. Also, click on "Click here to download the modified INF file." to download and save the Modded INF file on to your Desktop.

3. Once both the required files are downloaded, Please create a folder on the desktop.

4. Run the driver file by double-clicking on the file and then, click on extract. Extract the driver file on the new folder that you have created on the desktop.

Please Click on the Change button then select the folder, which you have created on the desktop then click on OK.

Next, go to the folder where the files were extracted to. You will find several files in this folder.

5. Now please copy the modded INF file that you have saved on to the Desktop and paste it to the new folder where you have extracted the driver files. If you will get any "file replace message" then click on yes to replace the original driver INF file.

6. Lastly, you will find Setup File in this Folder. Just double click the Setup file and install the drivers.

I have tested this and since a few reboots it looks fine on my system. Please try it out and let me now your feedback.

Eduardo

Ok Folks... I have followed Eduardo's instructions above, and so far... everything looks good. I have gone through a number of different reboots/restarts/sleep-wake cycles and everything works.

I was able to fix this issue for a client using the 314.22 drivers and a bit of creative application of solutions provided by others here. I apologize for the non-exact nature of this guide, but it was over a week ago that I finally got my machine working and I'm having trouble recalling exact details. I'm also afraid to mess with it again out of fear.

1. Boot into Safe Mode (I know this isn't simple on Windows 8, but there are plenty of guides out there on booting to Safe Mode so I won't include those instructions here)

2. Uninstall ALL Nvidia products from Programs and Features AND UNINSTALL the device in Device Manager. (Be sure to check the "Delete the driver software for this device" box!)

3. Download and install DriverFusion: http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Fusion/3000-2086_4-75748005.html

4. Run DriverFusion for the Nvidia Display category using the ANALYZE option, then click clean. (It will tell you you need the full version to delete everything. Ignore that, and look at what files/folders it didn't remove for you and delete them manually)

5. Restart, boot into Safe Mode again.

6. Run DriverFusion AGAIN, just to be sure you got everything. Analyze, then clean, then manually delete anything missing.

7. Delete ALL Nvidia folders/files in your Program Files/Program Files (x86) directories, as well as the Nvidia folder from the root of your drive (Typically C:\Nvidia)

HERE ARE THE IMPORTANT STEPS THAT I DID NOT FIND ANYWHERE ELSE:

8. Run "gpedit.msc" and go to: Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - Internet Communication Management - Internet Communication Settings - "Turn off Windows Update Device Driver Searching" and set this to ENABLED. (As far as I can tell, Windows 8 completely ignores any other policies or settings regarding Windows Update made anywhere else).

9. Open Device Manager and right click your Display Adapter (It should read "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560ti (WDDM 1.1" or something similar, if it doesn't have the "WDDM" then you didn't remove the drivers manually as I directed earlier), hit "Properties", go to "Details" pane, select "inf name" from the dropdown menu.

10. Note down the name of the .inf file listed after completing step 9, and search your Windows directory for the file name. It should be something like nv_disp.inf, there will also be another similarly named file. (It will be pretty obvious which files I mean, basically anything with the nv_disp naming scheme)

11. Delete ALL of these files you just found in steps 9-10.

12. Open Device Manager and right click your display adapter, once again UNINSTALL the device and check the "delete driver" box.

12. Reboot into Safe Mode one more time, and extract, but DO NOT RUN the Nvidia 314.22 driver installer. (I attempted to use the Nvidia installer at this point, but got a BSOD and repeated all of the above steps to get back to this point).

13. Open Device Manager, does your Display adapter show as a "Microsoft Display Adapter" instead of the WDDM drivers for your card model? If you followed all my instructions, it should. If it doesn't, rinse and repeat and come back to this step again.

14. Right click the generic sounding "Microsoft Display Adapter" and hit "Update Driver Software". Select "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and then select the "Have Disc" option. (For some reason it didn't like it when I just tried to tell it where to look for the .inf, using "Have Disk" worked though)

15. Point Windows to the file "nv_disp.inf" that will be in your Nvidia folder, mine was: C:\NVIDIA\Display Driver\314.22\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\English\Display.Driver\nv_disp.inf

16. Click that "Open" button and pray to whatever gods you might worship that your computer does what mine did and installs the drivers.

17. Moment of truth: Reboot into normal Windows.

18. Cry tears of joy that this ordeal is finally over (for now).

I hope this fixes things for you the way it did for me, I will clean up these instructions if anyone can provide me with more information (exact filenames, format suggestions, etc).

You will still notice some weird distortions on the Windows 8 Logo screen as you're booting up but give it a few minutes and Windows WILL boot! Also this method does not include any Nvidia software, and honestly I can't rule that out as the cause, so attempt to install that at your own risk.

EDIT: Okay, i've got the 341.74 installer with the inf i also got from laptopvideo2go. It's not been modified for win10, so this probably won't work, but it's worth a try

EDIT2: Nope, auto repair loop

Okay, do you know how i'd do that?

341.74 should work on that site

Okay, i'll do that.

two things:

EDIT: q1 deleted.

2) the inf file is called nvaowu.inf , whereas that sites says that it should be nvaoi.inf but that shouldn't be a problem

EDIT2: So i've edited the file, but i'll need to add windows 10 to the list somehow.

I did that by adding another line with NTAMD64.6.4  . Not sure if this'll work, since it's a win8.1 driver...

Pf3JkR6.png

So i used the modified driver. It wouldn't install within dev manager. I ran the setup.exe , and it booted, but it's still showing the Microsoft display adapter.

Damn this problem is frustrating..