Command & Conquer generals universal fix thread

Well I upgraded my laptop to windows 10 now as well and my laptop has the same issue I really wish I could fix this. Generals is a good ol' classic that diserves to be played but it seems microsoft no longer wants it o  be played 

Well I upgraded my laptop to windows 10 now as well and my laptop has the same issue I really wish I could fix this. Generals is a good ol' classic that diserves to be played but it seems microsoft no longer wants it o  be played 

i have win 10 on two computers and it worked on both of them

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

i have win 10 on two computers and it worked on both of them

Hmm 

Well I can't get it running and I don't know what else there is to try

Hmm 

Well I can't get it running and I don't know what else there is to try

updating graphic drivers?

All my CNC games work great in Win 10 and never needed fixes, odd.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

All my CNC games work great in Win 10 and never needed fixes, odd.

i guess it has to do with the DRM or something random like that

I did try a few mods and private servers after the public servers all went down, so however long ago that was, and there was barely anyone online, and any who was either was in a private room, and the one or two games I did join usually mismatched halfway through.

And dam that scud glitch was annoying, I had a full list of cheaters and would check every bugger entering my game, at least near the end of the games life cycle it was the fans playing and not the cheats.

I know I quit playing cause I kept getting mismatches I started using c&c online but its hit or miss for me and my fiends with certain games

I know I quit playing cause I kept getting mismatches I started using c&c online but its hit or miss for me and my fiends with certain games

have you tried game ranger?

it worked great for me

• 1 month later...

Hi, Im really lost trying to find a fix to get C&C Generals even installed. I started by installing C&C Generals on windows 10 fresh install. It did install properly so tried to uninstall it and try again. When I uninstalled it, it mentioned about having to remove other file that weren't removed. Now I've removed all the files from the registry and programs folder and renamed the "installSheild" folder, and can not reinstall C&C Generals. One thing I have noticed is that the first install asked me for the product key. All installs after this are not asking for the Key. It is only getting to 14% before asking for the second disk, where as on the first install it was at I think 38%. Am I missing something. Also attached are some screenshots of what is going on. Help me please if you know the fix for this.

post-270916-0-00721400-1445950451.png

post-270916-0-19168500-1445950456.png

post-270916-0-43735900-1445950458.png

Hi, Im really lost trying to find a fix to get C&C Generals even installed. I started by installing C&C Generals on windows 10 fresh install. It did install properly so tried to uninstall it and try again. When I uninstalled it, it mentioned about having to remove other file that weren't removed. Now I've removed all the files from the registry and programs folder and renamed the "installSheild" folder, and can not reinstall C&C Generals. One thing I have noticed is that the first install asked me for the product key. All installs after this are not asking for the Key. It is only getting to 14% before asking for the second disk, where as on the first install it was at I think 38%. Am I missing something. Also attached are some screenshots of what is going on. Help me please if you know the fix for this.

I have a few fixes that might work

1. Start the installation and wait for the error, abort installation

2. Restart Installation and wait until the installatin process requests CD2 (the datagen.exe should be there at this moment)

3. IMPORTANT: Make the datagen.exe write protected (right click -> properties)

4. proceed Installation

Then I made another attempt to install Zero Hour but this time saved the whole content of the temp folder which is created during installation. Before changing to CD2 I made Datgen.exe write protected again. And finally after the installation has been completed I copied all files from my previous backup back to the temp folder before clicking "Finish". No error occured and Zero Hour runs like a charme now

Run in compatibility mode, admin mode, etc

source

If nothing works, then scroll through my source, and try all of the solutions

If that doesnt work, i have other solutions

Still getting the 1628 error. But the Unable to launch has now gone.

Still getting the 1628 error. But the Unable to launch has now gone.

Ok, nice, now we know that its related to install shield

first try this

If that doesnt work, then try the 3 solutions on this site

http://help.globalscape.com/help/cuteftp8/Installshield_Error_1628__Failed_to_complete_script_based_install.htm

If that doesnt work, then i have a few others you could try

• 2 weeks later...

Still getting the 1628 error. On install it is still not asking for the product key either. Don't know if that has anything to do with it be not properly uninstalled?

All these files are in the EA Games folder and when double click the generals.exe file the screen goes black like how it goes to start but then goes back to windows desktop or what ever was open prior to trying to start game. Its almost like its trying to change the screen resolution.

post-270916-0-22883100-1447159395_thumb.

I remember getting super WET (excited) at the heat haze effects added into Zero Hour.

So many hours.... China FTW!

I was running it from my older Ati x1650 Pro (AFAIK) - Middleweight Turd from back in the day.

Yes, it can run Crysis too :) above 30fps, @1280x1024 @ Medium /w High textures (Custom tweaks to config other non-configurable effects)

I'd like to revisit specs on past GPU's to see how power hungry they were... I'm sure Mind=Blown.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Still getting the 1628 error. On install it is still not asking for the product key either. Don't know if that has anything to do with it be not properly uninstalled?

Ok, download this, uninstall C&C generals using it and let it do a forcefull uninstall (and when its done scanning, delete all relevant files it present (and registry entrys)), or whatever its called (you can do a backup if you really want)

Then download this , run it

And then do the fixes i mentioned in my last post

This should clean the install to the point of how it looked when you first installed it

I remember getting super WET (excited) at the heat haze effects added into Zero Hour.

So many hours.... China FTW!

I was running it from my older Ati x1650 Pro (AFAIK) - Middleweight Turd from back in the day.

Yes, it can run Crysis too :) above 30fps, @1280x1024 @ Medium /w High textures (Custom tweaks to config other non-configurable effects)

I'd like to revisit specs on past GPU's to see how power hungry they were... I'm sure Mind=Blown.

Yeah, the graphics BLEW ME AWAY, even though i had the settings pretty low

I was used to starcraft 1, and warcraft 3 and this was like an whole other world to me

Although this was in like 2008 - 2009, so i was lagging behind by a few years

Then i got AOE 3, and it blew my away even more, mostly because i could run it at higher settings, and the physics... the physics... yes!

Then i got AOE 3, and it blew my away even more, mostly because i could run it at higher settings, and the physics... the physics... yes!

The cannonballs sending lone soldiers into orbit were the best.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

The cannonballs sending lone soldiers into orbit were the best.

yes

There was nothing like buying the best fort in the game, surround it with 4 canon towers, and watch as the AI rushed forward with infantry

Some day i will make it into a live wallpaper

• 2 months later...

noisebomb44,

I got a new laptop with windows 10. I tried installing C&C generals but it wont run. Uninstalled & reinstalled again but i'm getting the same error message.

"Serious error occurred"

Do you think creating "options.ini" will help?

26 minutes ago, arnelenc said:

noisebomb44,

I got a new laptop with windows 10. I tried installing C&C generals but it wont run. Uninstalled & reinstalled again but i'm getting the same error message.

"Serious error occurred"

Do you think creating "options.ini" will help?

Yes, creating the options.ini file should fix the problem but if it doesnt, try running it in windows XP SP2 compatibility mode and if it still doesnt work then feel free to read earlier solutions in this thread or reply back

Thanks a lot noisebomb44. I just created the Options.ini file and it really works. Problem fixed.

I'll try installing zero hour tomorrow and will do the same thing.

Will update you later.

10 hours ago, arnelenc said:

Thanks a lot noisebomb44. I just created the Options.ini file and it really works. Problem fixed.

I'll try installing zero hour tomorrow and will do the same thing.

Will update you later.

Can I just use or copy the same file I made and paste it in the zero hour's document folder? 

1 hour ago, arnelenc said:

Can I just use or copy the same file I made and paste it in the zero hour's document folder? 

now that i think about it, no, the dlc options.ini is a little bit different than the stock options.ini, but it should work without doing all of that stuff

Although if it doesnt work, here is a clean options.ini for zero hour

Spoiler

AntiAliasing = 1
BuildingOcclusion = yes
CampaignDifficulty = 0
DrawScrollAnchor = 
DynamicLOD = yes
ExtraAnimations = yes
FirewallBehavior = 1
FirewallNeedToRefresh = FALSE
FirewallPortAllocationDelta = 0
GameSpyIPAddress = 0.0.0.0
Gamma = 50
HeatEffects = yes
IPAddress = 0.0.0.0
IdealStaticGameLOD = Low
LanguageFilter = false
MaxParticleCount = 5000
MoveScrollAnchor = 
MusicVolume = 68
Resolution = 800 600
Retaliation = no
SFX3DVolume = 79
SFXVolume = 71
ScrollFactor = 16
SendDelay = no
ShowSoftWaterEdge = yes
ShowTrees = yes
StaticGameLOD = Custom
TextureReduction = 0
UseAlternateMouse = yes
UseCloudMap = yes
UseDoubleClickAttackMove = no
UseLightMap = yes
UseShadowDecals = yes
UseShadowVolumes = yes
VoiceVolume = 70

1 hour ago, noisebomb44 said:

now that i think about it, no, the dlc options.ini is a little bit different than the stock options.ini, but it should work without doing all of that stuff

Although if it doesnt work, here is a clean options.ini for zero hour

Hide contents

AntiAliasing = 1
BuildingOcclusion = yes
CampaignDifficulty = 0
DrawScrollAnchor = 
DynamicLOD = yes
ExtraAnimations = yes
FirewallBehavior = 1
FirewallNeedToRefresh = FALSE
FirewallPortAllocationDelta = 0
GameSpyIPAddress = 0.0.0.0
Gamma = 50
HeatEffects = yes
IPAddress = 0.0.0.0
IdealStaticGameLOD = Low
LanguageFilter = false
MaxParticleCount = 5000
MoveScrollAnchor = 
MusicVolume = 68
Resolution = 800 600
Retaliation = no
SFX3DVolume = 79
SFXVolume = 71
ScrollFactor = 16
SendDelay = no
ShowSoftWaterEdge = yes
ShowTrees = yes
StaticGameLOD = Custom
TextureReduction = 0
UseAlternateMouse = yes
UseCloudMap = yes
UseDoubleClickAttackMove = no
UseLightMap = yes
UseShadowDecals = yes
UseShadowVolumes = yes
VoiceVolume = 70

Ok let me find it out tonight after work.