i5-6600K Road to 5GHz Overclocking

So I am currently at overclocking my i5-6600K on an Asus Z170-A.

Coming from X79 and berfore that Z77, I still dont quite fully understand the Z170 bios and all of its components. So I need your help...

1. Is there a way to prevent the cpu from going back to stock clock at the desktop? I have intel speed step and c-states disabled, and turbo enabled. Is there another setting I need to configure?

2. I am currently stuck at 4.8GHz @ 1.45V. It passed 5 minutes of AIDA64 stress test and stayed under 65C. (H100i GTX) What Voltage settings apart from the cpu core/cache voltage are worth rising to improve system stability? I played around a bit with pch, vccio and system agent voltage, seemingly without any big affect, didnt go over 1.2V on any of them though. What exactly are all these voltage settings and which should I adjust?

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

I wouldn't feel very good at 1,45V on 14 nm...

This is a signature.

Coming from X79 and berfore that Z77, I still dont quite fully understand the Z170 bios and all of its components. So I need your help...

1. Is there a way to prevent the cpu from going back to stock clock at the desktop? I have intel speed step and c-states disabled, and turbo enabled. Is there another setting I need to configure?

2. I am currently stuck at 4.8GHz @ 1.45V. It passed 5 minutes of AIDA64 stress test and stayed under 65C. (H100i GTX) What Voltage settings apart from the cpu core/cache voltage are worth rising to improve system stability? I played around a bit with pch, vccio and system agent voltage, seemingly without any big affect, didnt go over 1.2V on any of them though. What exactly are all these voltage settings and which should I adjust?

1.45v wtf you doing bro, you gonna kill it.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

1.45v? Aida 64? that isn't going to end well. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1.45v? Aida 64? that isn't going to end well. 

1.45v wtf you doing bro, you gonna kill it.

I wouldn't feel very good at 1,45V on 14 nm...

Ok, lets say I was at 1.3V. What would I need to do to get a higher clock?

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Ok, lets say I was at 1.3V. What would I need to do to get a higher clock?

more volts?  :P whot bosd code are you getting? or is it not posting? are you using bclk or just multi or a combo? 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Remember to play around with the BCLK. For more info check out TTLs review of Skylake.

you seem to be at your limit m8. 

my 2 cents: return the 6600k and get a 5820k. 

1.45v? That cpu will be dead in less than a year.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Remember to play around with the BCLK. For more info check out TTLs review of Skylake.

Yeah, I saw that and really enjoyed it. I think I will do the bclk overclocking after wan show. Just multiplier for now... ;)

How did you get one already O.o

I ordered one from my etailer of choice xD

you seem to be at your limit m8. 

my 2 cents: return the 6600k and get a 5820k. 

It's just for testing around with skylake and maybe building a lan pc, running a 4930k on my main rig. ;)

Have you tried Bace Clock overclocking ? apparently the best way to get high OC's is to have a mixture of both 

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

Yeah, I saw that and really enjoyed it. I think I will do the bclk overclocking after wan show. Just multiplier for now... ;)

I ordered one from my etailer of choice xD

It's just for testing around with skylake and maybe building a lan pc, running a 4930k on my main rig. ;)

if you are just using the mutli atm then that might be your max on the multi. i would find the max bclk that your board can do by lowering the ram speed and multi fully. then you need to find the best combo of the two as bclk oc's are usually faster the multi oc. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

the i5 6600k is out?

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

if you are just using the mutli atm then that might be your max on the multi. i would find the max bclk that your board can do by lowering the ram speed and multi fully. then you need to find the best combo of the two as bclk oc's are usually faster the multi oc. 

alright, Ill try that and check back soon. thx

1.45V doesn't seem that extreme to me when you consider both the CPU VCore and the Cache Voltage are linked which is where the extra voltage is coming from...

1.45V doesn't seem that extreme to me when you consider both the CPU VCore and the Cache Voltage are linked which is where the extra voltage is coming from...

I also thought that as long as I am under 80C, it should be fine.

It feels kind of strange, because 1.4V was normal on 32nm, then basically impossible on 22nm due to heat, and now again possible at 14nm. I get that it sounds kinda high, but is it actually too high?? I mean my chip ran at 1.35V out of the box at stock clocks, so 0.1V to add doesnt seem insane at all...

It feels kind of strange, because 1.4V was normal on 32nm, then basically impossible on 22nm due to heat, and now again possible at 14nm. I get that it sounds kinda high, but is it actually too high?? I mean my chip ran at 1.35V out of the box at stock clocks, so 0.1V to add doesnt seem insane at all...

It's hard to say whether it's too high but I doubt it's as extreme as people are making it out to be. It'd be a better idea to see what the safe limits are before doing anything serious imo, though with them coming out the box at 1.35V the boundary has obviously moved up, it's just a question of how far.

is this the cpu core voltage in the bios or software? also what are you using to measure the temps as it might not have been properly reconfigured for skylake yet. also its not nessacly the size of the transistors that determines to voltage that the cpu without degrading, it is the architecture as well. sandy degrades faster than ivy, and amd 32nm are fine with you using 1.5v 24/7 without degrading quickly as long as you keep them cool where sandy at 1.5v under water would be dead in a year or 2 even though they are both 32nm.

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

so 8x290 @ 1.4V seems to be a limit, running 3min of AIDA64.

8x300 wont even boot.

is this the cpu core voltage in the bios or software? also what are you using to measure the temps as it might not have been properly reconfigured for skylake yet. 

thats hwmonitor for all the voltage and temp readings. It's pretty close to the acutal setting and the bios sensor, so it seems accurate.

Would using a dedicated gpu help?

so 8x290 @ 1.4V seems to be a limit, running 3min of AIDA64.

8x300 wont even boot.

thats hwmonitor for all the voltage and temp readings. It's pretty close to the acutal setting and the bios sensor, so it seems accurate.

Would using a dedicated gpu help?

okthe z170 a is a lower end board so 300ish is about right. i've seen higher end boards getting 400+. i would say something in the 150-200mhz bclk will probably be the sweat spot, but i haven't actually used skylake so i can't really say. you need to find the highest stable ram speed and cache speed using the bclk and then try to find a mutli to get you around 4.8ghz and see how high you can go. another thing you can try is set the multi of the cpu to 46 or something and use ~110 just to bump it up or something.

as you play around with different settings you should get a feel for what works and what doesn't, it might seem ram at first. but there will be a pattern.  

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

okthe z170 a is a lower end board so 300ish is about right. i've seen higher end boards getting 400+. i would say something in the 150-200mhz bclk will probably be the sweat spot, but i haven't actually used skylake so i can't really say. you need to find the highest stable ram speed and cache speed using the bclk and then try to find a mutli to get you around 4.8ghz and see how high you can go. another thing you can try is set the multi of the cpu to 46 or something and use ~110 just to bump it up or something.

as you play around with different settings you should get a feel for what works and what doesn't, it might seem ram at first. but there will be a pattern.  

so basically higher bclk means higher cache clock, which means more performance? So 24x200MHz is better than 48x100MHz ?

so basically higher bclk means higher cache clock, which means more performance? So 24x200MHz is better than 48x100MHz ?

in theory yes. it will also speed you ram up. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Guys stop saying anything about cpu voltage. It literally means nothing when skylake uses and handles higher voltage overall.

According to literally every review this far sub 1.5 V is easily fair game and safe for skylake (as long as your cooler can deal with it).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Guys stop saying anything about cpu voltage. It literally means nothing when skylake uses and handles higher voltage overall.

According to literally every review this far sub 1.5 V is easily fair game and safe for skylake (as long as your cooler can deal with it).

I'm sorry what? Where do you get your info, voltage matters.... That's like saying if you over volt your electic curcuits they won't fry eventually when they will.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |