Cheap budget camera with professional level features

I'm looking to purchase a CHEAP, BUDGET FRIENDLY video camera that can do at least great 1080p and perhaps with good capability for 4K.  I'm mainly going to be doing videos for an amateur Youtube Channel, something I have never done before.

After looking at various options, one option I am strongly considering is this:

Sony PXW-FS7

pxwfs7_LP_pxwfs7.jpg

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.latest.bbsccms-assets-micro-xdcam-latest-pxwfs7.shtml?PID=I:hp_landingpage:xdcampxwfs7_landing_page

I am considering this because I want PROFESSIONAL quality.

I previously considered the FS700, especially after Sony dropped the price, but it just didn't have all the features I want built in.  For example, to record 4K video I would have to purchase an additional piece of hardware.

Other options include:

Sony PMWF3L/RGB

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/cat-camerascineproduction/product-PMWF3L%2FRGB/

PMWF3K/RGB

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/cat-camerascineproduction/product-PMWF3K%2FRGB/

Red cameras

http://www.red.com/products

ARRI Alexas

http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/

Remember, your recommendations must be CHEAP, Enthusiast budget level and have Professional level features.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

SNIP

Personally getting an A7rII

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So youve never shot video before and want to use this for amateur video recording, yet its an $8,000 camera... Maybe start with something a bit smaller?

EDIT: And thats the body only, youre looking to spend much more as well on glass and external equipment on top of the just the price of the body.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

So youve never shot video before and want to use this for amateur video recording, yet its an $8,000 camera... Maybe start with something a bit smaller?

EDIT: And thats the body only, youre looking to spend much more as well on glass and external equipment on top of the just the price of the body.

Yeah, is there any problem with that?  At least I'm willing to spend the $$$$ necessary to get true quality and professional level of gear.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Cheap and budget friendly = $500 not 8k, lol. And yes....if you got so much money, why ask plebs about what camera to get? Go to a video specific forum where they discuss tons of features you might want.

I had a Canon GL2 which was top of the budget-line at one point @ 2 grand. I didn't ask PC users if it was good. I went to video forums. Just a thought.

Cheap = 8k$? You must be rich...

Yeah, like all the other people posting in this section looking for cheap or low cost gear that can do everything except cause another Big Bang and create a new Universe, I went looking around for options and realized that anything below $5000 wasn't going to cut it for me.

Yeah, is there any problem with that?  At least I'm willing to spend the $$$$ necessary to get true quality and professional level of gear.

Cheap = 8k$? You must be rich...

Cheap and budget friendly = $500 not 8k, lol. And yes....if you got so much money, why ask plebs about what camera to get? Go to a video specific forum where they discuss tons of features you might want.

I had a Canon GL2 which was top of the budget-line at one point @ 2 grand. I didn't ask PC users if it was good. I went to video forums. Just a thought.

First off, read those as well ^^ @OP

Secondly, I find it dumb to spend near $10K or more on camera equipment (regardless of how deep your pockets are, because honestly that doesnt matter)  for amateur videography that you may find yourself quitting or giving up on down the line if it is not going as you maybe foresee it in your head, so sorry for trying to save you a bit of your time and money by recommending to step it down to something more affordable that will be more than enough for what you need to do, at least for a start and if it goes to plan later, then put more money into it.

EDIT: And if you think professional grade gear is what will get you to the top of the YouTube world, then youre also wrong. Look back at Linus' old content, granted it was years ago that he filmed it, but they started with some cheap camcorder and they made their way up and grew as LMG because of their personalities and their consistency. The more time you put into something like this, the more you get out of it, the more money you put into it will matter later on when youve grown a fan base and actually have reason to upgrade to 4K-ready hardware and camera gear that costs thousands of dollars.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I know it's expensive, but I am really going to save up my weekly allowance of $50 without spending any of it on anything else.  My parents and grandparents will also support me by each getting 6 different jobs.

Secondly, I find it dumb to spend near $10K or more on camera equipment (regardless of how deep your pockets are, because honestly that doesnt matter)  for amateur videography that you may find yourself quitting or giving up on down the line if it is not going as you maybe foresee it in your head, so sorry for trying to save you a bit of your time and money by recommending to step it down to something more affordable that will be more than enough for what you need to do, at least for a start and if it goes to plan later, then put more money into it.

EDIT: And if you think professional grade gear is what will get you to the top of the YouTube world, then youre also wrong. Look back at Linus' old content, granted it was years ago that he filmed it, but they started with some cheap camcorder and they made their way up and grew as LMG because of their personalities and their consistency. The more time you put into something like this, the more you get out of it, the more money you put into it will matter later on when youve grown a fan base and actually have reason to upgrade to 4K-ready hardware and camera gear that costs thousands of dollars.

Hmm good points, so can you recommend a say sub $500 camera that has all the same features and functionality?  Keep in mind I am looking for a single device that can do EVERYTHING.

Also I'm a super genius.  The moment I touch a device, all the knowledge on how to operate and use it gets downloaded into my brain instantaneously.

Hmm good points, so can you recommend a say sub $500 camera that has all the same features and functionality?

Also I'm a super genius.  The moment I touch a device, all the knowledge on how to operate and use it gets downloaded into my brain instantaneously.

I'm pretty much a newb at camera gear, but how many YouTubers have 4k-capable camcorders? Linus uses one of the Canon XA models, and those only go up to 2.5k. Canon has a consumerized version of the XA10 called the G30, iirc, which is only $1k, by the way. It competes with the Panasonic X920 or its successors, I think.

Hmm good points, so can you recommend a say sub $500 camera that has all the same features and functionality?  Keep in mind I am looking for a single device that can do EVERYTHING.

I wouldn't call myself a genius if I never used a professional camera before and wanted to buy one for 10k$ as my first one

I wouldn't call myself a genius if I never used a professional camera before and wanted to buy one for 10k$ as my first one

I never said I have done videography before, I said I have never done one for a Youtube channel.

I never said I have done videography before, I said I have never done one for a Youtube channel.

Well what videography have you done? What experience do you have with professional equipment?

I personally think that spending so much money for an "amature" YouTube channel is pointless, and it's not what will boost your subscriber count.

PC Specs: i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, HyperX Red 16Gb (4x4), Define R5, EVGA G2 750, Samsung 850 Evo 120gb + WD Blue 1TB, MSI TF5 GTX 970.

Peripherals: 1 x Asus VX239H, Logitech G502, Masterkeys Pro S, Superlux HD668B.

Nice thread tags you have there.

Were they there from the start or did you add them in later?

SNIP.

It was good enough for Philip Bloom

barbie_1777939b.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Nice thread tags you have there.

Were they there from the start or did you add them in later?

Some were there from the start, a few others I added later

Well now that someone has pointed out what should've been obvious, I wouldn't buy gear I didn't need.  I'm still in the market or a good video camera, to replace the one I gave away to my brother when his kid was born.  But I certainly wouldn't buy that big monstrosity for $8000.

Until I find the right primarily video first camera that has some features I want (1080p recording perhaps with 4K capability or not, 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p, 60p and perhaps some 120-240fps recording capability, and some more), small enough to travel without having to pay extra luggage weight all the time, within a reasonable budget... I will still use my D4 and D800E's video features.

The one I am really considering is the Sony FDR AX100, but waiting to see what new stuff Sony and other brands will come out with.  A friend of mine, who has actually decided to get that $8000 camera for his department, is suggesting to me the Black Magic cameras.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022653-REG/sony_fdrax100_b_hdr_ax100_full_hd_handycam.html

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products

I'm a professional photographer and videographer that works freelance for the UN.

In the photo, video and audio industry, if you want quality and features you have to pay for it.  Nothing is free or cheap.

Until I find the right primarily video first camera that has some features I want (1080p recording perhaps with 4K capability or not, 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p, 60p and perhaps some 120-240fps recording capability, and some more), small enough to travel without having to pay extra luggage weight all the time, within a reasonable budget... I will still use my D4 and D800E's video features.

A7rII !!! DO ITTTTT, there is possibly an AF compatible nikon adapter coming out too :D my friend who is a D800 shooter is this close to moving across 

Would be a great piece of kit for you IMO, it does everything you want

A7rII !!! DO ITTTTT, there is possibly an AF compatible nikon adapter coming out too :D my friend who is a D800 shooter is this close to moving across 

Would be a great piece of kit for you IMO, it does everything you want

Would love to but I need something with a video camera look and feel to it.  A fellow freelancer I recently worked with was using a Lumix DSLR to video some events, using a rail system for shoulder mount, people saw the camera and thought he was photographing and paused to pose for him all the time.  And I want something "Video First", and Sony's optical steadyshot image stabilization in their camcorders is superb.

The HDR-PJ760, now with my brother, was my travel field video camera.  I was traveling via speed boats in Asia once and managed to record smooth videos hand held with that camera.

Would love to but I need something with a video camera look and feel to it.  A fellow freelancer I recently worked with was using a Lumix DSLR to video some events, using a rail system for shoulder mount, people saw the camera and thought he was photographing and paused to pose for him all the time.

This is my friends A7s fully set up for a shoot (and he just got his A7rII yesterday)

post-17790-0-87485500-1438964819.jpg

post-17790-0-80614600-1438964824.jpg

This is my friends A7s fully set up for a shoot (and he just got his A7rII yesterday)

My photo kit already takes up 2 suitcases when I travel, I wouldn't have room for this many additional parts.  I'm a photographer first, videographer second.

But that rig looks sweet.

Just my photography equipment (bodies, lenses, tripod) on my last travel, clothes and other accessories (spare batteries, chargers, cables, etc.) were shipped by DHL to location.

994913_536752589737211_1227469504_n.jpg?

My interview rig, not pretty but it works.  Since then I've added some more accessories to make it more streamline.  D800E, Atomos Ninja 1, SmallHD DP4, Sennheiser Lavs and Tascam DR-100

315702_397102190368919_54433639_n.jpg?oh

665348_397102207035584_1229473722_o.jpg

I don't even have any extra room to add my favorite camera.  I sadly remember the day I took this photo of my Hasselblad, I had partially taken out the metal film protector and forgot about it.  Kept taking one photo after another till I ran out of film for this one back and wasted an entire roll.  Didn't realize it until I left the location... :angry:

1492600_580865105325959_88362449_o.jpg

I don't even have any extra room to add my favorite camera.

See thats why I love E mount and the A7, since its so light and small and the lenses are so light and small

Personally getting an A7rII

Man he got you two good, to bad you wasted so much time.

Very clever prank, I'm surprised more people didn't catch on sooner.

sold