MS plans to return to PC gaming, by supporting STEAM on W10

zMeul

source: http://www.pcgamer.com/games-for-windows-wasnt-the-right-approach-says-microsoft/

you should sit down, this one is pure gold from Microsoft

Kevin Unangst, senior director for PC gaming in the Xbox group, was more forthright in his assessment of Games for Windows than expected when we caught up with him at Gamescom today.

"Games for Windows was a prior approach where it was more, at that time, like 'how do we take things?'" he said, "We knew we wanted to help make great multiplayer, we knew we wanted to bring things over... but it wasn't the right approach. It was the approach of 'let's just take those things and transplant them'."

With the launch of Windows 10 and a renewed push to unify Xbox and PC into one huge ecosystem, it's a busy time for Microsoft. PC gamers who had to put up with the old Games for Windows system have cause to be cynical, however. Will the refreshed Windows Store included with Windows 10 be any different, and is Microsoft planning to use the Windows userbase to challenge Steam?

No—at least not according to Unangst: "We are not intending to compete with Steam," he told me, "If anything, we want Steam to be even more successful—they've done great things for PC gamers in terms of having a single store.

"Over time do we want more developers to come over to our store and offer it in addition to Steam? Absolutely. Is competition good for people? Absolutely. But our goal right now isn't to do anything else other than support Steam and help it run great on Windows 10."

---

at least they recognized GFWL was a complete failure
what does that all mean? will it mean MS will be releasing their games over STEAM platform? you bet your arse they will
why is MS pushing STEAM? because MS, beyond XBox services on Windows 10 doesn't hany any other intention for PC gaming - MS' idea of PC gaming doesn't go beyond XBox; that's their primary platform and will stay as such

Why is MS pushing STEAM? Because they're the only ones that make a god damn profit around here!

if STEAM was the only one making a profit, a whole lot of other services wouldn't still be around; like GoG, Origin ...

me? I'd rather support GoG Galaxy than STEAM

Why is MS pushing STEAM? Because they're the only ones that make a god damn profit around here!

Well, MS had to ride one of the two hype trains. Steam or GOG Galaxy. Getting Steam would cost them money, but GOG Galaxy would mean they can't put DRM on their games. And we know how AAA loves DRM.

if STEAM was the only one making a profit, a whole lot of other services wouldn't still be around; like GoG, Origin ...

GOG > Steam > Origin, especially for us Europadudes. But Origin is quite-sheit. Even though it's good and gives old school games for free, nothing in it gets patched (not even a 2 year old bug which has been confirmed).

AAA just doesn't like GOG cause no DRM

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

me? I'd rather support GoG Galaxy than STEAM

Well Steam is the one that pulls away the most sales if what I meant.

Microsoft still doesn't know what it's doing on the PC platform. So sad.

Microsoft still doesn't know what it's doing on the PC platform. So sad.

MS actually know what to do with PC gaming - exactly nothing

Not sure if this is good news or bad news. But I do hope they embed steam to windows. :D

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Steam? on Windows? wow revolutionary 

Basically they are going to do nothing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Lol so Gaben's gigantic brainfart, creating SteamOS, because he had a hissy fit on Windows 8 (because it had an app store), is now completely unfounded? Well we already knew that. SteamOS is pretty much DOA (less than 0.9% Linux marketshare in Steam users). Much derp Gaben.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Bullshit for media, if they wanted to really support PC gaming they would have at least, at least included a download steam app in win10 install/upgrade

No one gives a shit about xboxlive and store on win10 except those who probably already own consoles.

Kinda hard to judge his quote without any specifics. Steam already runs fine, so it all depends what's meant by "supporting Steam". 

give me a remake of Halo 1-4 (+5 & 6) for PC on steam and we are good to go..

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

I'll stick with my Atari 2600 while the heat cools down...

oNdWotp.jpg

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Interesting, Sounds more like making statements to the press is part of his job description and he realised he hadn't said anything for a while so he just started talking to the nearest media rep.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Kinda hard to judge his quote without any specifics. Steam already runs fine, so it all depends what's meant by "supporting Steam". 

I really want MS to make a windows specific app or feature that embeds steam on your windows. Like tile support. And yes i use steam tiles.

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I really want MS to make a windows specific app or feature that embeds steam on your windows. Like tile support. And yes i use steam tiles.

True. I wish most software would have a live tile. So for steam it could be an update of notifications (how many friends are online, new comments, trading and so on). For something like HWinfo64 it would be nice to see the most important levels for instance. I love live tiles, but there needs to be more. Imagine pressing aa922834-ed43-40f1-8830-d5507badb56c_39. and you get an overview of every information you need (like CPU temps, weather, new emails, new steam notifications, etc etc).

I would say that Windows 10 new notification center (or whatever it's called in English), is a really good idea, but it's not exactly the same, so both things could be useful and complement each other.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

True. I wish most software would have a live tile. So for steam it could be an update of notifications (how many friends are online, new comments, trading and so on). For something like HWinfo64 it would be nice to see the most important levels for instance. I love live tiles, but there needs to be more. Imagine pressing aa922834-ed43-40f1-8830-d5507badb56c_39. and you get an overview of every information you need (like CPU temps, weather, new emails, new steam notifications, etc etc).

I would say that Windows 10 new notification center (or whatever it's called in English), is a really good idea, but it's not exactly the same, so both things could be useful and complement each other.

This is the main reason why i really liked windows 8.1 because of live tiles. I do hope they do this. As this will be convinient for us, opening windows, then poof, steam is already on your notification center.

Great to hear, will be years before seen though.

This list is probably outdated, but;

That's the list I was looking for, thanks! Yeah we've heard this before. Words means nothing from Microsoft anymore, only actions. Let's see them act.

This is the main reason why i really liked windows 8.1 because of live tiles. I do hope they do this. As this will be convinient for us, opening windows, then poof, steam is already on your notification center.

Exactly the same for me. I love android for their widgets, which is a modern thing. The lack of something similar on PC made them feel obsolete (and yes I know we had 4 gadgets for Vista and 7, but that hardly counts). The issue here (that I forgot to mention) is that Windows cannot force these things and make the apps/live tiles themselves. The software developers has to do it themselves (so Valve would need to make a live tile for Steam, and make Steam use the notification center), as Microsoft doesn't have access to these informations from the 3rd party software.

That's the list I was looking for, thanks! Yeah we've heard this before. Words means nothing from Microsoft anymore, only actions. Let's see them act.

I think there is a more updated list somewhere else, but this is the best I could find on a short notice...

To be fair, they have announced Gears of War Ultimate and Halo Wars 2 for "Windows 10", whatever that means, hopefully it'll be a Steam release, but afaik no one knows.

I haven't seen anything other than Gears of War that shows they're serious, but even then that could just be them throwing us a bone.