The Librarian! (Proposed Build)

Ifeagan

The build will be named "The Librarian" due to a emphasis on quiet operation (I plan on having this on my desk and really value quiet/cool operation).  Main usage will be gaming, streaming console exclusives (and retro games not via emulation) along with regular office usage (ArcGIS, some AutoCAD although nothing too crazy).    I'm located in Canada, so with the dollar in it's current state and Skylake/1151 being new prices are very high.  That said, this build will likely be purchased over the coming months if/when components are on sale...  I just want some opinions on the build as a whole (minor things may change eg.ram, ssd, case (may go for the silent base 600 windowed silver)). I would like comments on the main hardware primarily (CPU/Cooling, GPU, MOBO).  My initial budget was $1000, but figured $1500 can be done, so I am currently over that budget at $1700 which is not a big deal as I want this to be a quality build and one to last me a good while.

I don't see any incompatibilities so without further ado: The Librarian! http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/fPVnvK

Thanks for taking a look,  Look forward to comments/suggestions!!

Seems pretty good :P Although i would change the PSU that's better for less the price, but 100 less wattage 

Edited it a little bit:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.98 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($216.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($94.99 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($431.95 @ Vuugo)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($140.39 @ DirectCanada)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  ($19.75 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($124.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1755.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-06 23:31 EDT-0400

Edit: @Ifeagan don't forget to follow your own posts, and make sure to make a build log :P

Dear god @mosin40 No no no no, why would you even suggest he should get a $330 i5 6600k? 4790k is the same price if not cheaper and is better without a shadow of a doubt. Not to mention ddr3 is almost half the price of ddr4 now. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

DDR4 is currently not worth it. If you're buying it in the next month or so, go with 1150. With 4690k, ATX z97 mobo and DDR3 ram you should be able to shave off around 150-200$.

Also go with a PSU with less wattage. If you're not planning on CF, then go with ~650W. 

Also :P

the-librarian-quest-for-the-spear.16744.

Dear god @mosin40 No no no no, why would you even suggest he should get a $330 i5 6600k? 4790k is the same price if not cheaper and is better without a shadow of a doubt. Not to mention ddr3 is almost half the price of ddr4 now. 

In the US YES, but since he's from canada an i7 4970k is 409.99 CAD

In the US YES, but since he's from canada an i7 4970k is 409.99 CAD

Something tells me the price of ddr3 might negate that. And it will still cost roughly the same, in which case a couple extra bucks might be worth it for the i7 anyway. Correct me if im wrong. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Something tells me the price of ddr3 might negate that. And it will still cost roughly the same, in which case a couple extra bucks might be worth it for the i7 anyway. Correct me if im wrong. 

Well...

Ddr3 is waay cheaper than ddr4, but eventually its price will drop and I guess OP wants to get a Skylake cpu

And It wouldn't hurt if OP wants to go with Haswell and save some money :P so... Let's leave it to OP's decision 

Btw check this link to see 4970k's price: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k and OP is CANADiAN, no from the US, these means currency is different 

Edited by mosin40

Agreed

While it may not negate it all, it would still negate a part of the cost. And i'd rather take a CPU with 4/8 that's a little bit older than 4/4 that's newer...

Agreed

While it may not negate it all, it would still negate a part of the cost. And i'd rather take a CPU with 4/8 that's a little bit older than 4/4 that's newer...

Yeah those extra threads can make a huge difference when utilized. The new cpu may be a few % faster clock for clock thread for thread but having double threads makes a much bigger difference than a couple extra percent. 

Like i said in the post components aren't being purchased tomorrow.  This build will be compiled likely within the next ~6~ months, that way I can shop around and hopefully find ram or other components on sale...I'm aware of a certain premium for Skylake platform, but I want this build to hopefully be relevant for  3 years with  solid performance, therefore I thought going sky lake would be my best option.

Agreed

Yeah, but you've gotta know where op's from, currency is not the same in country A and country B

In this case OP is canadian, hence i7 4970k is ~409.99 CAD converting it to USD would be ~311.5 (since the i5 6600k is ~330 CAD in USD would be ~250)

Like i said in the post components aren't being purchased tomorrow.  This build will be compiled likely within the next ~6~ months, that way I can shop around and hopefully find ram or other components on sale...I'm aware of a certain premium for Skylake platform, but I want this build to hopefully be relevant for  3 years with  solid performance, therefore I thought going sky lake would be my best option.

Save all the money, go to the US and wait for black friday. lol. 

Then wait for some sales. Skylake will surely drop in prices by then. Just beware if you have a doa component. Find a way to test them as soon as you get them.

Then wait for some sales. Skylake will surely drop in prices by then. Just beware if you have a doa component. Find a way to test them as soon as you get them.

Agreed :P

Better wait till Skylake drops :D

If you can't wait this is what I would get . . .

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($409.99 @ Newegg Canada)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ NCIX)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.98 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($128.75 @ shopRBC)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($407.09 @ Newegg Canada)

Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800 ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ NCIX)

Power Supply: be quiet! POWER ZONE 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($19.75 @ Vuugo)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($124.99 @ Memory Express)

Total: $1793.49

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-06 23:49 EDT-0400

Agreed :P

Better wait till Skylake drops :D

Yes, our dollar is out of control.... I have some savings in USD, but not enough to buy the whole system.  Honestly I am busy this fall so I can deal with waiting a bit till ddr4 has some sales and the initial hype begins to dissipate.

Yea... good point, testing components will be really difficult for me without another PC or a friend who has a gaming PC.  However don't most manufacturers have some sort of warranty? I guess I will have to think out the component purchase order carefully haha... oh god :(... some advice on that order would be great! :lol: 

Yea... good point, testing components will be really difficult for me without another PC or a friend who has a gaming PC.  However don't most manufacturers have some sort of warranty? I guess I will have to think out the component purchase order carefully haha... oh god :(... some advice on that order would be great! :lol:

I'm not from Canada or US, so i wouldn't know what to tell you. They do have warranties, that much i know, but i heard it exceptionally hard to return broken/dead stuff. I really wouldn't know since for me i simply went to the store where i bought something, they would tell me where the service stations are, i would go there, fill what's wrong with my part, and see if it's fixable. If it isn't, then i go to the store to get a replacement. I don't know how it'd done there. If it's withing the warranty period (it's usually between 1-3 years).

Yes, our dollar is out of control.... I have some savings in USD, but not enough to buy the whole system. Honestly I am busy this fall so I can deal with waiting a bit till ddr4 has some sales and the initial hype begins to dissipate.

Yeah, you should wait a bit :D

I know this is a bit off topic, but i wish ops should write their currency like USD or CAD instead of putting the $ symbol, because it confuses people.

@SeanBond i'm not sure if was being rude or not, but i just want to say sorry if i was. Also, better check ops location (this includes pcpp links) to avoid this type of discussions :D

Yeah, you should wait a bit :D

I know this is a bit off topic, but i wish ops should write their currency like USD or CAD instead of putting the $ symbol, because it confuses people.

@SeanBond i'm not sure if was being rude or not, but i just want to say sorry if i was. Also, better check ops location (this includes pcpp links) to avoid this type of discussions :D

Yea  I could have made it a bit clearer I suppose, oh well, next time I will put it in title haha.  As a side note, do you @moshin40 have any suggestions on what parts to order in order to be able to test DOA components without a complete set up?  If I understand building correctly the bare minimum will be a mobo, psu, cpu and ram, which really only means I can test my GPU... maybe I need to just wait for everything to lower in price instead of ordering single components... yea that seems easier hahaha, btw thx for input!!

Yea I could have made it a bit clearer I suppose, oh well, next time I will put it in title haha. As a side note, do you @moshin40 have any suggestions on what parts to order in order to be able to test DOA components without a complete set up? If I understand building correctly the bare minimum will be a mobo, psu, cpu and ram, which really only means I can test my GPU... maybe I need to just wait for everything to lower in price instead of ordering single components... yea that seems easier hahaha, btw thx for input!!

Haha, no problem.

As i said, better wait a bit, it wouldn't hurt and since you're planning to build you pc in ~6 months or so, remember that prices fluctuates, either goes up or down, additionally, when waiting you can get discounts and rebates as well :D

Also, skylake has higher TDP, so average operational temps will be higher, requiring more cooling and higher fanspeeds, and or bigger radiators for watercooling.

For quiet operation, nothing beats a Corsair 900D with full custom loop, using loads of radiators with ULN noctua fans, with LNAs to make them barely turn at all. Just enough to make the whole rig run cool, little to no noise aslong as fan speeds is set to super super low. All you need is a wiff of air if you have enough radiators, you wont need a mini hurricane