Watercooling motherboard worth it?

So currently for my new build I plan to watercool my CPU and two gtx 780's. I was looking into watercooling my motherboard (asus iv rampage extreme) and I've found mixed feelings. I have been looking at getting an EK waterblock for it because Koolance no longer makes their asus iv rampage extreme waterblock. These are the ones I was looking at:

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/motherboard-blocks/full-board-blocks/ek-fb-kit-re4-acetal-en-nickel-csq.html

I'm going to use a MCP655 pump so I don't think it should affect my loop that much, but do you guys think spending $150 dollars on a waterblock for a motherboard is worth it? Will I see temperatures much cooler than the default cooler? And my last question, are motherboard blocks hard to install? 

Thanks in advance!

4930k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB Corsair Vengance Pro 2133Mhz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black edition - 780Ti Classified SLI watercooled

Samsung EVO 1TB SDD - 2x 3TB Seagate barracuda - AX1200i - Corsair 900D

Corsair K70 brown - Razer Mamba - X-Star 2710 @ 120hz - Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250Ohm

So currently for my new build I plan to watercool my CPU and two gtx 780's. I was looking into watercooling my motherboard (asus iv rampage extreme) and I've found mixed feelings. I have been looking at getting an EK waterblock for it because Koolance no longer makes their asus iv rampage extreme waterblock. These are the ones I was looking at:

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/motherboard-blocks/full-board-blocks/ek-fb-kit-re4-acetal-en-nickel-csq.html

I'm going to use a MCP655 pump so I don't think it should affect my loop that much, but do you guys think spending $150 dollars on a waterblock for a motherboard is worth it? Will I see temperatures much cooler than the default cooler? And my last question, are motherboard blocks hard to install? 

Thanks in advance!

well basing off the fact my dad has that exact motherboard block :) personally i think if its in the budget its not a terrible idea especially if your planning on a heavy oc the boards vrm's and whatnot will get pretty toasty however whether its totally necessary is another matter, i think your board would last longer if your using a heavy oc otherwise its kinda meh more for bragging rights then anything

unless your going to try for a massive overclock it's not needed.  if your going for 5-800Mhz more I wouldn't worry about it.

Its needed if you are doing very (dangerous) high >5GHz overclocks and have little to no airflow on the passive heat sinks.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

If you are doing extreme overclocking it can be beneficial but if you are doing it for everyday use or normal overclocking it is pretty much for aesthetics. Makes the motherboard sexy ;)

Its needed if you are doing very (dangerous) high >5GHz overclocks and have little to no airflow on the passive heat sinks.

Yea when I was trying to get a 5+ ghz over clock my main limiting factor was my mother board

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Okay, do you guys know if it is very complicated installing a motherboard waterblock? I know you have to take off the air cooler then apply thermal paste then screw on the new one, but I'm just afraid I'm going to screw up and ruin my whole motherboard...

If it's easy enough, I might just get one for aesthetics. 

4930k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB Corsair Vengance Pro 2133Mhz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black edition - 780Ti Classified SLI watercooled

Corsair K70 brown - Razer Mamba - X-Star 2710 @ 120hz - Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250Ohm

Okay, do you guys know if it is very complicated installing a motherboard waterblock? I know you have to take off the air cooler then apply thermal paste then screw on the new one, but I'm just afraid I'm going to screw up and ruin my whole motherboard...

Its easy. You mostly use thermal pads. Its comparable to mounting a GPU block.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

just use common sense

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Its easy. You mostly use thermal pads. Its comparable to mounting a GPU block.

Okay sounds good, I guess I will add the block to my part list, hope it looks good when I put it on :)

I mean my mosfets get really really hot and I got fans all over my case but theres no way I can get direct airflow over/away from them.  Samething with my NB.

Would it be worth it for the PCH? I'm looking to push my 780's as far as I can when I finish my custom loop, I was kinda pondering it for the VRM's too, since I'd really like to try for 5+ GHZ on my 3930k, (I hear it's very difficult so I've got my fingers crossed)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Watercooling the motherboard is just for show really, unless you have a seriously high overclock the heatsinks are pretty much overkill.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Would it be worth it for the PCH? I'm looking to push my 780's as far as I can when I finish my custom loop, I was kinda pondering it for the VRM's too, since I'd really like to try for 5+ GHZ on my 3930k, (I hear it's very difficult so I've got my fingers crossed)

Its just as effective to point a fan at your motherboard heatsinks.

Even so an msi mpower board can handle 5.0ghz w.o blowing out the vrm

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Even so an msi mpower board can handle 5.0ghz w.o blowing out the vrm

From what I have heard a cooler VRM gives "cleaner" power to the CPU which can lead to more stable overclocks.

From what I have heard a cooler VRM gives "cleaner" power to the CPU which can lead to more stable overclocks.

Not EVERYTHING needs to be wa-er cooled.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Not EVERYTHING needs to be wa-er cooled.

Was just making the point that just because you don't blow out the VRM doesn't mean that its running as well as it can. You shouldn't run things near their thermal limits anyway. You have to remember the other important factor while watercooling; which is that you don't have the CPU fan next to the VRM and in some cases the VRM can be covered by rads which really limits the airflow around it. That can really raise the temp.

• 1 year later...

Seems like a good idea to water cool your motherboard, CPU and GPU if you're building a super snug, X99, overclocked beast in a small Micro ATX case. Temperatures rise really fast in an mATX air cooled system and fans get very noisy. Bitspower makes freakin' awesome waterblocks for mATX motherboards that cover the CPU as well ! Can't wait for them to release models for the ASRock, EVGA and Gigabyte mATX X99 boards.

Seems like a good idea to water cool your motherboard, CPU and GPU if you're building a super snug, X99, overclocked beast in a small Micro ATX case. Temperatures rise really fast in an mATX air cooled system and fans get very noisy. Bitspower makes freakin' awesome waterblocks for mATX motherboards that cover the CPU as well ! Can't wait for them to release models for the ASRock, EVGA and Gigabyte mATX X99 boards.

This thread is like 6 months old, it's already been answered :P no reason to post now

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089