[Solved] Windows 10 & Hyper-V 2012 R2 Config

BillytheSkids
Go to solution Solved by TheHeloy,

after a windows 10 upgrade you need to re-authorize the Hyper-v server again, and you can do this by : running cmd as an admin and type in" winrm quickconfig " and hit enter. After that you get a few prompts and you gotta accept them all when thats done 

type in: winrm set winrm/config/client @{TrustedHosts="Your Hyper-v Server IP address"} and press enter. after that you should be good to go.

Hello all,

I've recently been encountering more and more businesses running Hyper-V and with my desire to become more intimately familiar I decided to change my lab over from ESXi to Hyper-V 2012 R2. I am using old retired hardware for bare metal machines in a Workgroup configuration as I have a multiple platform lab. I must say the plug and play nature of Hyper-V over ESXi was definitely nice on this hardware but I immediately hit a wall.

After my initial attempt at configuration I received and error. I began researching online, tried running hvremote and numerous other methods of configuring to connect to the server with Hyper-V Manager on my recently installed Windows 10 laptop. The error states "An error occurred while attempting to connect to server" and "The WinRM client cannot process process the request." The error suggests configuring TrustedHosts and when I attempt to force add server to TrustedHosts it states WinRM cannot process the request.

Just for clarification I have the server listed in both my DNS server and in the laptops Hosts file. I have enabled Anonymous Login in Component Services and opened up the correct ports on the firewall. I have also launched a Windows 8.1 VM on the same laptop and been able to access the server with no issue. I have gone through the MSDN on what's new for Hyper-V in Windows 10 and found no source of this problem. It even lists Windows 2012 R2 as compatible. Is there something that I am missing in Windows 10 in a Workgroup that is causing this?

While I appreciate any help I was more curious if this was something anyone else has encountered. There appears to be simultaneously no documentation of this issue and no instruction or documentation of this configuration post release.

Why not use VMware, or any other solution instead of Hyper-V, which in my opinion is junk. I've had more issues with it than VMware.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Why not use VMware, or any other solution instead of Hyper-V, which in my opinion is junk. I've had more issues with it than VMware.

I've been using ESXi and agree that I do overall like their software better and is probably far more stable as they have been doing purely cloud for longer then anyone.  I am transitioning my lab for my own knowledge and understanding as I'm finding more and more companies want to enter the cloud era and their vehicle of doing so is Hyper-V.  The cheap cost of entry I believe is their primary reason I encounter it so much, but I think the cost of support is where it will get them in the end.

after a windows 10 upgrade you need to re-authorize the Hyper-v server again, and you can do this by : running cmd as an admin and type in" winrm quickconfig " and hit enter. After that you get a few prompts and you gotta accept them all when thats done 

type in: winrm set winrm/config/client @{TrustedHosts="Your Hyper-v Server IP address"} and press enter. after that you should be good to go.

Gaming pc:cpu: i7 4770k // gpu: ZOTAC GTX 980 TI AMP EXTREME EDITION 6GB//ram kingston hyper x 16GB DDR3// hdd:2TB seagate //ssd: samsung 850 pro 256 gb ssd) // mb: MSI z97 gaming 5 

Gaming/work laptop asus n551jk :cpu: i7 4710hq //gpu: GTX850m 2GB //ram: 8GB //hdd: 750GB HDD

Server: HP ML350 G5 //cpu : 2x intel xeon e5130 quadcore // ram:12GB // gpu: nvidia 6200 256mb //hdd: 500 GB 15K SAS RAID-0 // 2x 700w hp power supply

It seems so clear in hind sight that WinRM was not able to process the request on the client side as opposed to the server side. I ran winrm quickconfig on the server side so many times I couldn't understand why it wouldn't process my request. Glad to know it was an issue on my part however as I was considering rolling back OS to prevent any other issues going forward. Thank you so much, I guess this is my first learning experience in Hyper-V, I hope the rest aren't as frustrating.

you're welcome. Im glad that i could help you out.

Gaming pc:cpu: i7 4770k // gpu: ZOTAC GTX 980 TI AMP EXTREME EDITION 6GB//ram kingston hyper x 16GB DDR3// hdd:2TB seagate //ssd: samsung 850 pro 256 gb ssd) // mb: MSI z97 gaming 5 

Gaming/work laptop asus n551jk :cpu: i7 4710hq //gpu: GTX850m 2GB //ram: 8GB //hdd: 750GB HDD

Server: HP ML350 G5 //cpu : 2x intel xeon e5130 quadcore // ram:12GB // gpu: nvidia 6200 256mb //hdd: 500 GB 15K SAS RAID-0 // 2x 700w hp power supply