README: How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation

• 3 weeks later...

I have a stick of ram here my pc wont start at all with it plugged in, pull your ram sticks 1 at a time, see which ones causing a problem if any. Trust me on this, it happens.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Also to note, some psu's wont power on if there is a problem with the grounding circuits of your house.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

Also to note, some psu's wint power if there is a problem with the grounding circuits of your house.

Interesting, hadn't heard of that. Got a link to a source for that info? Would love to know more about it :)

Interesting, hadn't heard of that. Got a link to a source for that info? Would love to know more about it :)

Idk what psu my uncle has in his work pc, but he had some headaches from dealing with his old house wiring. His computer would not start on some wall outlets. We figured out that the PSU would only give power if the ground lead was connected properly.

This feature is rare, even more so on the consumer market, but its out there. His computer was some kind of everything proof, sole purpose thing. You could not open the case, and I don't remember who made it.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

• 2 months later...

I am in need of help quickly. I upgraded my gpu and cpu liquid cooler and now cannot get the computer to boot. I replaced the old components and tested the build in the kitchen and it booted up fine with no peripherals connected. I then moved it back to the bedroom and plugged everything in and now it turns on for a fraction of a second then powers off and repeats. It is still doing this with just the cpu, h100i gtx, motherboard, and one stick of ram. I'm about to take the h100i off but wanted to see if anyone has an idea. Sorry for poor format but I'm stuck on my phone for now.

Also just jumped the psu and it works fine. I'll give more components out soon, just need to calm down. I've been trouble shooting for over 2 hours.

Thank you for any help

<I need help quick>

Sorry to hear you're having problems...

Please, as mentioned in the OP, create a NEW thread for your issue. It will keep things clean, and will give you problem better visibility on the forums. Please take the advice from the OP into account, quoted:

If the PC still doesn't POST after this, create a new thread and, as explained here, post IN FULL DETAIL about your problem. Make sure you include the following:

1. System configuration
  2. Troubleshooting steps you already did
  3. Any additional information that may be relevant.

Maybe you should add a point to the part when pc turns on but the screen is black about checking the screws? I'm a newbie, and didn't know it's that important - fans on, USB on, etc. Yet still no vision. Tightening the screws holding the motherboard to the case fixed it. You might want to add it so it might help some other newbies as it helped me.

Best regards :) ,

Mark

PS. Sorry for any grammar errors, english is not my native language.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I suspect that my brand new PSU (CM V850) is faulty. I'm trying to post outside the case with it, nothing happens. Then I tried with my old PSU (Corsair CX500), the LED on the MB lit up and the fans started turning. I tried once again with the CM, rechecked all connections, but still nothing happens. How can I verify that it is faulty?

Using a bent paperclip, short out the green wire on the 24 pin header with any of the black wires, like so.

I don't see a green wire on the 24-pin header, and the link showing how it should look like is not working. 

Hello!

I suspect that my brand new PSU (CM V850) is faulty. I'm trying to post outside the case with it, nothing happens. Then I tried with my old PSU (Corsair CX500), the LED on the MB lit up and the fans started turning. I tried once again with the CM, rechecked all connections, but still nothing happens. How can I verify that it is faulty?

I don't see a green wire on the 24-pin header, and the link showing how it should look like is not working. 

That link seems to work for me?

Also, if your power supply doesn't use color coding on its cables, you can use this site to locate the correct pin: http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html

That link seems to work for me?

Also, if your power supply doesn't use color coding on its cables, you can use this site to locate the correct pin: http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html

Strange, now it works for me, too. 

Thank you for the other link, it's exactly what I was looking for. Although, now I'm scared to try - a friend of mine almost yelled at me for even thinking about doing it. What could actually go wrong with this paper clip test, provided that I'm smart enough not to touch it while live? 

Thank you for the other link, it's exactly what I was looking for. Although, now I'm scared to try - a friend of mine almost yelled at me for even thinking about doing it. What could actually go wrong with this paper clip test, provided that I'm smart enough not to touch it while live? 

The outputs on a power supply are low voltage. You would not even feel anything. I test my supplies using the paperclip method, and I use them as bench power supplies.

Well, I tried it and nothing happened. I'll be returning the unit tomorrow. I guess anything is possible in the tech world, even a faulty piece of "the best 850W PSU out there".

Thank you both for the help!

To elaborate a bit: you are not in danger when doing this test, as long as you touch the low voltage side of the PSU (ie the wires that plug into your components). Everything is below 50V which means it's generally safe to touch with DRY skin (touch it with your tongue and you will get a nasty zap). What could be at danger, though, is the PSU itself. If you take the wrong wires and somehow connect a yellow (12V) or red (5V) wire to a black (GND), you create a short. Most decent PSUs these days have shorcut protections built in, but there's always a chance you kill your PSU. If you do things right and connect green to black, there is absolutely no danger whatsoever.

For the sake of honesty I should say that it was me who was at fault, not the PSU. I clearly saw the 10-pin connector dangling from the 18-pin connector. I clearly saw the 10-pin slot above the 18-pin slot at the back of the PSU. It just never crossed my mind that they need to be joined in holy matrimony, as was explained to me by the kind technician at the store. I feel like an idiot. Hope you have a few laughs at the expense of my shame :)

• 1 month later...

The problems with your machine not booting up may vary, certain wires which may not have been placed properly which have to do with booting you pc and many more factors. Also you might want to check if your power supply might be defective, by properly placing your power supply into another pc which clearly works or have brought to a professional troubleshooter.

This might be a really nooby question with an obvious answer but can someone please help. So I built my pc outside the case minus the graphics card everything powered on fans were spinning etc. Plugged HDMI lead into socket on motherboard and into tv. Then what seemed like no POST. After ten mins or so of reseating things swapping about RAM and repplugging in power cables still no response. Then I decided to give the graphics card a try so I put that into the system and I got a POST when plugged into graphics card. Ok so now theirs not really an issue because I can run my pc but I was under the impression that I could start up without any graphics card. Could someone please shed some light on this issue because I am having a mini freakout that I may have damaged HDMI ports somehow. Any help appreciated thanks. :(

1. . Check if this button is in the position denoted with ON or I

You probably mean I (for on) or O (for off)

This might be a really nooby question with an obvious answer but can someone please help. So I built my pc outside the case minus the graphics card everything powered on fans were spinning etc. Plugged HDMI lead into socket on motherboard and into tv. Then what seemed like no POST. After ten mins or so of reseating things swapping about RAM and repplugging in power cables still no response. Then I decided to give the graphics card a try so I put that into the system and I got a POST when plugged into graphics card. Ok so now theirs not really an issue because I can run my pc but I was under the impression that I could start up without any graphics card. Could someone please shed some light on this issue because I am having a mini freakout that I may have damaged HDMI ports somehow. Any help appreciated thanks. :(

This thread is not meant to post your problems in, please do so in a new thread.

Regardless, your issue is either a broken iGPU, a broken motherboard, or a bad setting in the BIOS (there's usually a BIOS/UEFI setting that controls what GPU to use as the primary. If that's set to PCIe, that could be the source of your trouble).

I would also makes sure that you dont have to many things running on a single power strip and also makes sure everything is plugged in well. Dont be scared to really put them in there. Also make sure the psu is plugged in and its actually on.

my pc has no problem posting and stuff but when I put the pc to sleep when I try to wake it back up it just shuts down and I have to press the power button on my pc

to turn it back on. This only happens when I put the pc to sleep. I've tried switching around the sata connectors on my motherboard around but that didn't do

anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks