README: How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation

Please create a separate thread. Make sure you cover all the details we need, that means not only the PC specs, also what it does or doesn't do and what troubleshooting steps you've tried already.

i have done all the steps of your tutorial on page one and still nothing is working the one stick of ram two i have sent back my cpu and mother board because i think they were doa i am going to test with other sticks or ram at my friend place this weekend

but i am prety shure its the missing pece in the puzzle.

wen i try to boot it up everithing start spining and thats it.

it powers my gpu to but no signal

i tried the dvi and the hdmi plug nothing is going out to my screan

What part of create a seperate thread did you not get?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since the pic for shorting the psu seems to be down, here's a link showing it step by step.

http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_on_psu_without_motherboard_the_paperclip_trick

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Since the pic for shorting the psu seems to be down, here's a link showing it step by step.

http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_on_psu_without_motherboard_the_paperclip_trick

Thanks for notifying me, have updated OP accordingly!

• 3 weeks later...

i personally think flash the bios on your router should be on here 

i personally think flash the bios on your router should be on here 

Why?  On the forum, go ahead.  In this thread, not so much

This thread is 'about' a PC that will not POST you should not be checking for POST with anything  attached.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

• 3 weeks later...

well, this topic describes my problem aswell, but however doesn't solve it. this is what's happening: all the psu cables are in the psu. the main power is connected to the psu. and the main psu switch is set to "Ï". now all the lighting on the motherboard light up and the onboard start and reset button become live, but when i press start nothing happens... hope you guys can help

well, this topic describes my problem aswell, but however doesn't solve it. this is what's happening: all the psu cables are in the psu. the main power is connected to the psu. and the main psu switch is set to "Ï". now all the lighting on the motherboard light up and the onboard start and reset button become live, but when i press start nothing happens... hope you guys can help

Sorry for doing this, but please do create a new thread if you're actually looking for help, as also pointed out in the original post:

If the PC still doesn't POST after this, create a new thread and, as explained here, post IN FULL DETAIL about your problem. Make sure you include the following:

1. System configuration
  2. Troubleshooting steps you already did
  3. Any additional information that may be relevant.

Sorry for doing this, but please do create a new thread if you're actually looking for help, as also pointed out in the original post:

Aah okay, i'm sorry.. Didn't catch that one properly, ask my question in a new topic! Thanks for the info!!

• 3 weeks later...

really nice guide

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

• 3 weeks later...

hello, my pc won't turn on. before this, it already has some problems. I tried to plug my iPad and iPhone to sync it, but it gave me errors, so I rebooted it. when I rebooted it, it gave me 1 long beep and 6 short beeps. so I tried checking my wiring and clearing the CMOS. after doing that, I tried rebooting it again, but the screen was blank. the fans and drives were running perfectly fine. so how do I fix it.

spec sheet:

Intel pentium e5200

msi g31m3 v2

windows Xp professional

4gb ram, but due to xp, so only 3gb used.

maxtor 500gb and seagate 1tb hard drive

atop 500watt psu

cpu over clocked to 2.75 ghz, stock cooler.

help please.

• 1 month later...

I had this problem before. The motherboard was shorting out because I screwed it right into the case. So someone shoud add "make sure you didn't screwed the motherboard right into the case and shorted out the system"

• 2 weeks later...

1. 14. Make sure your RAM works, try it another computer.

Step number 14 in black screen says "try it another computer" where it should say "try it in another computer", like line 13 does.

I'm here to learn and help others!

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday my mother turned off the mains on the socket. The computer was working perfectly fine before that. Now I can't start up my computer, I'm using an ROG maximus 6 hero and i used the start button on the motherboard itself, the computer did not power on. The light itself on the start button lit up. However it might still be a problem with the PSU or motherboard.

It could be anything, even the CPU might be at fault

I tried shorting the start up pins and it didn't work too

Please help! ><

PSU: 1000W CM silent pro

Motherboard: maximus 6 hero

CPU: 4770k

GPU: GTX 970

RAM: Crucial ballistix 8GB

Any other info U guys might need im happy to provide!

I did switch it off and on, the PSU is delivering power as the manual start and reset button is lit up but when I press it nothing happens

But not sure what's wrong.

Can we eliminate some issues

Is there and issue with my mobo?

CPU?

It's a strange situation but I haven't managed to get my PSU fan started yet, so I suspect it's delivering power but it can't start

• 3 weeks later...

I found this tutorial very useful. Great work! However, a problem with a PC I’m trying to get to a working state goes a bit further than that, motherboard mechanical failure I suspect. And that is not my area of expertise so I was hoping for some advice. After leaving the motherboard without the battery or PSU for a day, when I put the battery back in and plug the PSU it POST-s but freezes not long after that and after restarting won’t POST again. I’ve been repeating the steps for a few days now and every day it’s the same. Only cpu and ram are in the motherboard for testing purposes and they have all been tested and are cleared. So why would motherboard POST after spending some time unplugged and then crash and not POST not long after getting some electricity again? Visually I can’t find any defects. I was thinking of motherboard reflow as a next course of action?

I found this tutorial very useful. Great work! However, a problem with a PC I’m trying to get to a working state goes a bit further than that, motherboard mechanical failure I suspect. And that is not my area of expertise so I was hoping for some advice. After leaving the motherboard without the battery or PSU for a day, when I put the battery back in and plug the PSU it POST-s but freezes not long after that and after restarting won’t POST again. I’ve been repeating the steps for a few days now and every day it’s the same. Only cpu and ram are in the motherboard for testing purposes and they have all been tested and are cleared. So why would motherboard POST after spending some time unplugged and then crash and not POST not long after getting some electricity again? Visually I can’t find any defects. I was thinking of motherboard reflow as a next course of action?

I would recommend making a thread about it within the troubleshooting subforum so that people will be able to help you :)

HTTP/2 203

• 2 weeks later...

after I get back from my classes, I will try reading this again..it may help me solving my problem as I also did post a topic here..

Guys this is my first build and in facing this exact same issue where the fans turn on but display doesn't.

i have posted on a seperate thread -http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/328495-system-fan-and-cpu-fan-turn-on-but-display-isnt-detected/?p=4459448#entry4459448

It would be great if you guys could take a look and tell me what's wrong here.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to go further in diagnostics, grab a multimeter (absolutely any multimeter will do) and probe the gray pin in the 24-pin connector and ground. This pin is PWR_OK (or POWER_GOOD) signal coming from the PSU, it should be 5v. I've seen Power Supplies thrown away because people thought they were bad, and it might actually be something like a loose power connector from the wall, or even the voltage selector switch, if said PSU has one.

This test may not apply if you buy a really cheap PSU.

-Edit: To check if the PSU has a proper self-test circuitry, you can backprobe for continuity in both the gray pin and any 5v rail. There should be at least some significant ressistance. If the resistance is near-zero, the PSU doesn't have any sort of Self-test and should stay away from it...

-= I'm TheXDS! =-

• 2 months later...

Maybe a point in the list you can add is to check if the motherboard is placed on stand-offs.

Some people forget that :(

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon