Crackdown 3 100% destructible environments, powered by the "cloud"

werto165

To everyone that says a single PC can do this, please watch this video, it will change your mind : http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/08/06/17-minutes-of-explosive-crackdown-3-gameplay-gamescom-2015?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=2&utm_campaign=Coverstory

To those why say why? ​or who cares? Well, why not? This is awesome and this bitterness and elitism is getting tiring. We should appreciate developers trying to push boundaries.

To everyone that says a single PC can do this, please watch this video, it will change your mind : http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/08/06/17-minutes-of-explosive-crackdown-3-gameplay-gamescom-2015?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=2&utm_campaign=Coverstory

To those why say why? ​or who cares? Well, why not? This is awesome and this bitterness and elitism is getting tiring. We should appreciate developers trying to push boundaries.

I have a needlessly powerful PC, I game a lot. But physics? Yea, those kill any rig. GPU based, physics based? You will end your computer. Physical calculations are just too demanding for hardware today and especially on the range that a game like Crackdown wants, where its calculating it for everyone and making sure it actually, you know, follows them pesky rules of physics with respect to collisions and interactions. 

Crackdown 3, IIRC, demands that you have a 2-4mbps internet connection at the lowest end. It needs to send a decent chunk of data back and forth, so its not something "light" and easy to do for any hardware natively. 

What we need to also realize is that this IS NOT MS exclusive tech. MS can just leverage all the Azure servers they have to make this happen in a cost effective manner. But if EA decides they want to have this in Battlefield 5 and Frostbite 4 to really make that destruction shine? Nothing stopping them from doing it. It would be costly on their end to have the servers to simply handle all that information, but anyone can implement it. 

Like I said, MS simply has one of the single largest server systems on this planet to leverage. People like to make fun of MS's "Cloud" but Azure powers a lot of enterprise and MS does know a thing or two on implementing something of this scale, which is why its easy for them to talk it up and use it as an advantage. This isn't something Sony or Nintendo or really many PC developers can up and do on their own right now. Nvidia has the right idea with GRID, they can implement something like this on their end for physics calculations, but its still a long ways off to being viable. 

inb4 BF5 420% destructible enviroments

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

If they make it so you can run Xbox games solely off a pc instead of needing a console also and release a server image or software then I can see this being a problem solver but I highly doubt that would happen. Most enthusiasts have PC's that are more than powerful enough to render things like this.

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

If they make it so you can run Xbox games solely off a pc instead of needing a console also and release a server image or software then I can see this being a problem solver but I highly doubt that would happen. Most enthusiasts have PC's that are more than powerful enough to render things like this.

The difference being that a PC that is even close to being powerful enough to do that probably costs about $1000+, whereas you can pick up an Xbox One for like a fifth of that.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

See, the problem with all this off-site computing is that it makes Microsoft (or Sony for that matter) not invest in better local processing power.

Ye ole' train