1Gbps connection capped at 100Mbps

Raynold

About 5 months ago, my wired internet connection speed was 1Gbps. Then, I was attached overseas and just came back yesterday. I noticed that my internet was being slow. I ran some tests using speedtest and saw that it was about 100 up and down. I remember that it was about 500 up and down before I left the country. So I went into the status of the connection and saw that the speed was 100.0 Mbps. I checked my dad's computer and saw that it was 1 Gbps. I tried changing the Speed & Duplex in the properties but that didn't fix it. Help pls :c

what are you paying for?

so 100 up & down is running slow?

Wow, so what's my Internet connection, sitting on the couch and getting fat? (7down, 0.8 up)

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

About 5 months ago, my wired internet connection speed was 1Gbps. Then, I was attached overseas and just came back yesterday. I noticed that my internet was being slow. I ran some tests using speedtest and saw that it was about 100 up and down. I remember that it was about 500 up and down before I left the country. So I went into the status of the connection and saw that the speed was 100.0 Mbps. I checked my dad's computer and saw that it was 1 Gbps. I tried changing the Speed & Duplex in the properties but that didn't fix it. Help pls :c

try using a cat6 cable if you know your LAN controller and router both support gigabit.

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

Are you using a 10/100 only cable? Or 10/100/1000?

Its 1000. It was 1Gbps before I left and no one has touched it.

what are you paying for?

Seeing that my dad's speed is 1Gbps, I'd say its 1Gbps.

so 100 up & down is running slow?

Wow, so what's my Internet connection, sitting on the couch and getting fat? (7down, 0.8 up)

100 up & down is really slow  :P

I can't even watch multiple live streams on source, YouTube videos and download stuff at the same time without one of the videos buffering :D

Your cable is faulty.

You don't need to go to Cat 6 - just replace the cable with one which hasn't been pulled around/stretched. If you were getting Gb speeds before, your hardware is fine, it WILL be the cable.

Check your router settings to see if anything's been changed. Also, you might want to check the quality of the cables you are using, and buy new Cat5e or Cat6 cables if necessary.

Another thing: check if there are updated drivers for your network adapter card.

Your cable is faulty.

You don't need to go to Cat 6 - just replace the cable with one which hasn't been pulled around/stretched. If you were getting Gb speeds before, your hardware is fine, it WILL be the cable.

Check your router settings to see if anything's been changed. Also, you might want to check the quality of the cables you are using, and buy new Cat5e or Cat6 cables if necessary.

Another thing: check if there are updated drivers for your network adapter card.

Okay it probably is the cable (probably cause I was the one that crimped it).

I'll try to switch it out and report back :D

Its either the cable or the NIC

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

I can't even watch multiple live streams on source, YouTube videos and download stuff at the same time without one of the videos buffering :D

1gbs lan speed prob not real speed

Go into Task Manager>network

What is the link speed?

Screenshots?

The LEDs on the current cable are both Amber btw (if this helps)

are you fcking kidding me, watching MULTIPLE STREAMS AT SOURCE? Why would you want to do all that at the same time?

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Go into Task Manager>network

What is the link speed?

Screenshots?

I couldn't figure out how to upload the SSs to the forum :c

http://screencast.com/t/hRiR84TbjX

http://screencast.com/t/ppHPKNYc

are you fcking kidding me, watching MULTIPLE STREAMS AT SOURCE? Why would you want to do all that at the same time?

I was kidding :c

But it does kinda buffer while watching streams

Your cable is faulty.

Its either the cable or the NIC

Okay... I switched out the cable and its still telling me its 100Mbps

Okay... I switched out the cable and its still telling me its 100Mbps

On the side of the cable, is it Cat. 5, cat. 5e or cat. 6

On the side of the cable, is it Cat. 5, cat. 5e or cat. 6

Its Cat. 5e

Its Cat. 5e

It should be capable of Gigabit, but I'd troubleshhot it at both ends. It's probably something obvious like drivers but it's worth checking everything.

It should be capable of Gigabit, but I'd troubleshhot it at both ends. It's probably something obvious like drivers but it's worth checking everything.

It should be this "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" in the Device Manager right? If it is, then the drivers are up to date.