Constant HDD load at 100%

Wiplive

Hello, so I've had this problem on my laptop for a while now, I can't really remember if I had it all the time (I'm pretty sure it has been) but my HDD is running at 100% pretty much all the time.

Here's the screenshot from Task Manager. Sometimes the computer just freezes and I think it's bottlenecking my download speed (270 mbits via Ethernet).

I own Acer Aspire V5-573G. The HDD is 500 GB Toshiba MQ01ABF050. I've had the computer for about 1,5 years. It's not my main computer, so I never really took the issue seriously. It's becoming more apparent with Windows 10 because the search is incredibly slow.

Also, the write speeds NEVER exceed 5 mb/s (even copying files from the same HDD).

What could be the problem?

post-54733-0-86727100-1438632641.png

Hello, so I've had this problem on my laptop for a while now, I can't really remember if I had it all the time (I'm pretty sure it has been) but my HDD is running at 100% pretty much all the time.

Here's the screenshot from Task Manager. Sometimes the computer just freezes and I think it's bottlenecking my download speed (270 mbits via Ethernet).

I own Acer Aspire V5-573G. The HDD is 500 GB Toshiba MQ01ABF050. I've had the computer for about 1,5 years. It's not my main computer, so I never really took the issue seriously. It's becoming more apparent with Windows 10 because the search is incredibly slow.

Also, the write speeds NEVER exceed 5 mb/s (even copying files from the same HDD).

What could be the problem?

Have you scan for malware? 100% disk usage can sometimes lead to malware. 

did you just upgrade to windows 10, mine did the same thing for a few hours while all the apps and shit was being updated

That will stay open until it has scanned your entire computer. 

So it could take a while. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Have you scan for malware? 100% disk usage can sometimes lead to malware. 

Yes, I did scan with MalwareBytes. I'm positive that it isn't malware, it was the same when I did a completely clean install of Windows 8.1 in June.

did you just upgrade to windows 10, mine did the same thing for a few hours while all the apps and shit was being updated

No, I upgraded on the 28th of July (I got the ISO downloaded early on my main PC). It was the same usage when I had Windows 8.1, even clean installation is sitting at 100%.

That will stay open until it has scanned your entire computer. 

So it could take a while. 

It doesn't matter what program uses it. I'm using 0.2 mb/s right now on task manager. And it still shows 100%. System and Chrome using 0.1 mb/s each.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump?

Are you sure it's not your internet speed? My HDD is also always at 100% when downloading games from Steam, 200Mb/s connection

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I think it would be worth downloading a bootable copy of Seagate Seatools or WD Data Lifeguard, booting to it and running HDD diagnostics. Just to make sure the drive isn't going out. Also, try running chkdsk to see if there are any errors on the drive that it can correct.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

Are you sure it's not your internet speed? My HDD is also always at 100% when downloading games from Steam, 200Mb/s connection

I'm sure, because even with Ethernet it's really slow. Ethernet on my main PC with SSD Steam reaches up to 30 mb/s on my 300 mbit fiber connection.

Download CrystaDiskMark: http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

And test the speed of your HDD. If it's really low, it means your HDD is probably dying

I attached a photo of the score.

post-54733-0-48716200-1439836313.png

I think it would be worth downloading a bootable copy of Seagate Seatools or WD Data Lifeguard, booting to it and running HDD diagnostics. Just to make sure the drive isn't going out. Also, try running chkdsk to see if there are any errors on the drive that it can correct.

I'm going to do the long test, not booted but in Windows, overnight. Chkdsk shows no errors.

I'm sure, because even with Ethernet it's really slow. Ethernet on my main PC with SSD Steam reaches up to 30 mb/s on my 300 mbit fiber connection.

I attached a photo of the score.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

I'm going to do the long test, not booted but in Windows, overnight. Chkdsk shows no errors.

Wow what's wrong then... are you sure you aren't running virus tests? Unintsall your antivirus and then check back. 

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Wow what's wrong then... are you sure you aren't running virus tests? Unintsall your antivirus and then check back. 

I don't have an anti-virus. Could it be that task manager is showing it wrong? Also, I read on the internet that I should disable search, windows update in the background, etc? Right now Windows Host Process (rundll32) is running at 3 mb/s and is making HDD 100%