Going through hell with a Macbook triple boot situation

Hi, Help... I need somebody...help...not just anybody

So i've been trying to get Windows and Linux onto my Macbook Mid 2010 (Macbook 7,1. 2.4ghz, geforce 320m). And it has not been fun...

I had ubuntu dual booting with yosemite, using refind as the boot manager.

Following this guide [http://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/2fy3be/by_popular_demand_my_better_than_bootcamp_guide/] I wiped the drive, and installed Windows 10, using the "efi trick" (i think thats why an extra partition is made, so that bootcamp can mess with that instead of the windows partition (because Apple really, really don't like anyone not using osx).

My biggest problem, is that i don't have a macbook. Booting mac recovery, it won't let me install Lion (says come back later or something), so the Yosemite recovery is gone. Therefore, i need to get yosemite onto a usb, and boot it.

So here are my two questions.

1) Should i continue with the method linked above. My concern is performance, and boot times. Once i have this setup, I'll be booting Windows or Ubuntu (gnome 15.04) via refind.

2) If i asked a friend with a macbook to help me, can they still download yosemite from the app store, even if their macbook is running yosemite? 

3) The windows 10 install would work fine (i was amazed at how well it runs on this terrible macbook). Until i tried to install bootcamp drivers. I've tried multiple methods, including this one [http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bootcamp-installation-for-unsupported-macs-w8-w8-1-w10-solution.1795357/] to install the bootcamp drivers on my laptop (which is only "compatible" with bootcamp 4, and windows 7)

- I disabled fast startup

- after installing drivers (most notably, graphics drivers). Got stuck in automatic repair loop. 

Now here's a derp moment for you. I thought that the laptop wasn't recognising my ubuntu live usb (when you boot and hold option). Turns out, it was, but has been renamed to efi boot (i think it was "boot" can't remember exactly)

So i've currently got ubuntu 15.04 running off the usb. I just reinstalled refind (0.8.7) and got this error:

"ALERT: There were problems running the efibootmgr program! You may need to rename the refind_x64.efi binary to the default name (EFI/boot/bootx64.efi on x86-64 systems or EFI/boot/bootia32.efi on x86 systems) to have it run!

creating //boot/refind_linux.conf; edit it to adjust kernel options. setting default boot options based on //etc/default/grub"

thanks in advance, for helping me get through hell.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

-snip

When you're using the recovery, are you using the "r" keys or a different system? 

When you're using the recovery, are you using the "r" keys or a different system? 

i'm pressing command+r on the macbook. I've also tried command+option+r. Both get to Lion internet recovery 

Also, command +s to get to single user mode doesn't work. Comes up with a blinking image of a folder and a question mark. This should be fixed when i reinstall yosemite.

At the moment, i think there's a lot going on within the boot manager aspect (efi or whatever, i don't really understand it) that's causing trouble. just a sense

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

i am not of understandings

Is it my wording, i've tried to make it clear, but there's a lot of info i need to provide. If you'v got questions to clarify, ask away.

Thanks for helping me guys.

I'm going to try and fix that error with refind, since refind isn't showing at launch (it just booted off the ubuntu gnome 15.04 usb, which is the only choice)

i'm pressing command+r on the macbook. I've also tried command+option+r. Both get to Lion internet recovery 

Also, command +s to get to single user mode doesn't work. Comes up with a blinking image of a folder and a question mark. This should be fixed when i reinstall yosemite.

At the moment, i think there's a lot going on within the boot manager aspect (efi or whatever, i don't really understand it) that's causing trouble. just a sense

I've heard of that same situation before, I think your hard drive is almost dead. Try using S.M.A.R.T. to see if it is. That's usually the case. In addition is the hard drive making ticking noises? 

I've heard of that same situation before, I think your hard drive is almost dead. Try using S.M.A.R.T. to see if it is. That's usually the case. In addition is the hard drive making ticking noises? 

Nope, sorry but this is definitely not a hard drive issue. I wiped the disk myself, i'd know if this was a HDD problem.

I'll still check SMART and get back to you.

EDIT: SMART reports are okay, one bad sector.

-snip

hmm strange 

edit - yeah they can still download yosemite from the app store, i've done that on my mac mini and take things from there, but I'm puzzled as to how you aren't able to have the process of using the r keys to get a successful recovery, have you tried using ethernet insetad of wifi for that option? 

hmm strange 

don't worry about recovery and single user mode.That's missing, because i wiped Yosemite.

The key to fixing this is:

Fixing refind

1) Should i continue with the method linked above. My concern is performance, and boot times. Once i have this setup, I'll be booting Windows or Ubuntu (gnome 15.04) via refind.

2) If i asked a friend with a macbook to help me, can they still download yosemite from the app store, even if their macbook is running yosemite? 

3) The windows 10 install would work fine (i was amazed at how well it runs on this terrible macbook). Until i tried to install bootcamp drivers. I've tried multiple methods, including this one [http://forums.macrum...lution.1795357/] to install the bootcamp drivers on my laptop (which is only "compatible" with bootcamp 4, and windows 7)

- I disabled fast startup

- after installing drivers (most notably, graphics drivers). Got stuck in automatic repair loop. 

-snip

usually what I would do if I were in a strange situation like this is just factory restore and start over, have you tried talking with apple support and live chat about this? I'm curious to know what they would have to say 

btw I made an edit on a post above not sure if u saw it

hmm strange 

edit - yeah they can still download yosemite from the app store, i've done that on my mac mini and take things from there, but I'm puzzled as to how you aren't able to have the process of using the r keys to get a successful recovery, have you tried using ethernet insetad of wifi for that option? 

Well the recovery is partially successful. but it's the Lion recovery. 

Thanks for tha't i'll get my friend to download yosemite for me.

usually what I would do if I were in a strange situation like this is just factory restore and start over, have you tried talking with apple support and live chat about this? I'm curious to know what they would have to say 

Unfortunately, i have nothing to restore. I backed up ubuntu, but i figured that i had nothing to backup with osx.

talking to apple support is a possibility, but i'm the kind of person that likes to fix things myself. This situation would a good oppertunity to learn more about efi and how all that works.

I'm sure that installing yosemite will fix it, thanks for answering that question.

Next i need to consider whether i should just use bootcamp.

-snip

I would highly recommend using bootcamp, I use that for my mac mini for windows and yosemite and it just seems to be a more natural based choice and everything works great - you don't have I'm just saying, so the problem with the recovery you said was lion, so you erased that then from the hard drive? Again sorry if I'm messing up, I haven't dealt with previous operating systems and recovery for the mac side of things. I must not be fully understanding the recovery options

Okay, i've fixed refind. Just had to install efibootmgr and rename the file as the error said.

But I would look into getting the recovery/factory restore in a working state if possible. That's usually just something good to fall back on if needed. btw I have also had problems triple/dual booting with ubuntu and windows so 

I would highly recommend using bootcamp, I use that for my mac mini for windows and yosemite and it just seems to be a more natural based choice and everything works great - you don't have I'm just saying, so the problem with the recovery you said was lion, so you erased that then from the hard drive? Again sorry if I'm messing up, I haven't dealt with previous operating systems and recovery for the mac side of things. I must not be fully understanding the recovery options

The only way to get the recovery working is by booting a yosemite usb. I've just asked my friend to get yosemite for me, so that's 2 problems down!

I agree, i think i'll use bootcamp. A couple considerations

1) Fixing efi. now i'm kinda theorycrafting here, but i'm not sure that bootcamp is going to work that well unless i can fix EFI (there might be incorrect entries, or something like that). There's another instability here as it is (what with installing win8.1 drivers on win10 with an unsupported drive, lol...)

2) Drivers, now the 5.1.5621 bootcamp support software isn't compatible with my Macbook (mid 2010), and after my previous debacle with the drivers, i need to make sure i get this right the first time. Do you know which drivers i should use after i bootcamp win10

- I've got bootcamp 4.0.4033 and 5.1.5621 downloaded.

I tried this solution [ http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bootcamp-installation-for-unsupported-macs-w8-w8-1-w10-solution.1795357/ ] before with the EFI install of Win10, i'm hoping that it'll work.

However someone in that thread wrote,

"I've tried using the same procedure as above in my 2009 macbook unibody but after installing bootcamp (4 or 5) windows 10 does not allow me to boot back into the system. I receive the infamous automatic repair loop. At first i thought it was office 2007 but confirmed it after several attempts that it was the bootcamp & drivers. System restore works but now i have no sound trackpad seems ok but i would be nice to have sound."

-snip

why not just install windows 10 drivers instead of 8.1?

Because at the moment they don't exist. Apple will take about six months to release win10 drivers. 

I can get some of the drivers from the manufacturer. E.g. the NVIDIA graphics driver. 

Any thoughts on the other stuff that i wrote?

btw, thanks for your time!

-snip 

okay why not just do an 8.1 install and then keep the files and what not 

as for drivers, i don't know drivers if the answer was right in front of me, I don't know what much sorry :\

Are you saying install win8.1 then do the upgrade to win10? That would cause more problems, upgrading is known to have issues.

My issue isn't so much win10, it's the fact that my macbook isn't supported bootcamp 5.1.xxxx. I can do a trick to let them install, but i still don't know if the drivers within the bootcamp5.1.xxxx package will actually work.

Are you saying install win8.1 then do the upgrade to win10? That would cause more problems, upgrading is known to have issues.

My issue isn't so much win10, it's the fact that my macbook isn't supported bootcamp 5.1.xxxx. I can do a trick to let them install, but i still don't know if the drivers within the bootcamp5.1.xxxx package will actually work.

I didn't know there were issues like that when upgrading, are you sure you would want to have windows 10 then? It doesn't seem like the best choice for now. And about the bootcamp thing, you have to have a specific version of it in order for it to work? If so why? Why wouldn't the latest version work? 

as for drivers, i don't know drivers if the answer was right in front of me, I don't know what much sorry :\

Okay, i've got a plan for what i'm going to do. I'll use windows 8.1 in boot camp (if it runs really slowly i'll try win10) as you suggested.

I'm just waiting on getting that Yosemite image

thanks for your help.

I didn't know there were issues like that when upgrading, are you sure you would want to have windows 10 then? It doesn't seem like the best choice for now. And about the bootcamp thing, you have to have a specific version of it in order for it to work? If so why? Why wouldn't the latest version work? 

Sorry i didn't reply to your post earlier, it appeared on page two, which i didn't notice.

A clean install of win10 won't have those issues.

So there's bootcamp suppoft software 4.x.xxxx (for windows 7,and is supported by my macbook white mid 2010). Then there's 5.0.xxxx for Windows 8 (unsupported by my mac) and 5.1.xxxx (for win8.1, also unsupported).

I'm going to run bootcamp 4.0.4033, then fix any other devices by picking the individual driver from bootcamp 5.1.5621.

Hopefully that'll work...

Any version of bootcamp support software beyond version 4 (which is for windows7) 

Also going to use some third party drivers. And an old version of NVIDIA graphics drivers (since i don't need performance, i just need it to work.

Just a quick update.

I used the Yosemite installer, and now Yosemite (and 10.10 recovery) is running fine.

I'm getting a "non system disk, press any key" when trying to bootcamp windows. So i'll just have to troubleshoot that.

It's related to restrictions on usb booting.