Is there anyway to start Task Manager on startup and Minimized in Windows 10

PhiberOptik

As the title says, is there anyway to set the task manager to run on startup and minimized in windows 10? In windows 7 it was simple, you just made a shortcut in the startup folder, having googled this I can't come up with anyway I can replicate. I tried the task scheduler "trick", but I don't know how to have it minimize task manager, and when task scheduler opens task manager it doesn't give me a notification icon for cpu usage like opening task manager normally does.

edit: you can make a shortcut in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"

turns out it works

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

easy. create the regular shortcut and open the properties...

cbbdf24df5d0bcd7643a7e7ea2c38030.png

The best way to open the Startup folder in Windows 10 is with the address shell:startup, you can enter this path in address bar of MS Explorer. 

Or use the Run-Dialog Box [Windows-logo] + [R] in Windows-10 and enter the command shell:startup (... see Image-1 Arrow-1

The second startup folder in Windows 10 shell:common startup is responsible for all users, when here, an entry is created, or deleted, this is valid for all users on the Windows-10 PC
Here is the alternative addresses, this can you use to create a new Windows 10 desktop shortcut.  

Autostart for currently logged-on user:
shell:startup = %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
And startup folder all users:
shell:common startup = %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup 

TIP:
shell:start menu = start menu in Windows-10
shell:common start menu =All user start menu in Windows-10 

Unless I'm missing something that's exactly what I did and it does not work in windows 10. That only works in windows 7.

Unless I'm missing something that's exactly what I did and it does not work in windows 10. That only works in windows 7.

I just tested the shortcut in the startup folder thing, it doesn't work for task manager for some reason like you said, but works for a lot of other things, pretty weird..

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

I would suggest a putting it into the registry but I wouldn't want to be held responsible if anything did happen to your system.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Wi57t1M.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Created a batch file with the code

start /min Taskmgr.exe - Shortcut.lnk

with a task manager shortcut on my desktop will open it minimized but task manager isn't catching the minimization and hiding itself.. so well halfway there.

I tried the registry and put "C:\Users\MYNAME\Desktop\Taskmgr.exe - shortcut.lnk" for the value, in quotes, which I think should work, and it didn't.

Edit: Doesn't work without quotes either. Would try an .exe but that would present a new problem of calling the program minimized.

• 1 year later...

I might be a little late here, but I finally decided to go to Win 10 this week and am one who wants my task manager to boot with my PC.

After much deliberation I finally devised something that worked for me and wanted to share it on here if anyone's still looking for a solution. This is a stupid amount of work to get done, what should have been as easy as creating a shortcut in your startup folder to point to task manager, but evidently Microsoft has to protect us even from ourselves now -_- 

Step 1: Create a shortcut to Task Manager "C:\Windows\System32\Taskmgr.exe" and save that shortcut to a folder not protected by system security, I just used my documents folder.

Step 2: Make sure the shortcut to task manager is set to "Run as Administrator"

Step 3: Create a batch file that will launch that shortcut you made.

Step 4: Create a shortcut for that batch file which runs your other shortcut and stick it in your startup folder  (C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup)

Step 5: Benefit

I've attached a photo to try and help guide you along.

The downsides are:

• It takes about 5 of seconds or so after the PC boots to actually run the batch file (I imagine this depends on PC's boot speed)
  • It leaves task manager in your toolbar and not in the tray notification area by the clock which is where I keep mine minimized to, so I just have to maximize and minimize it to get it minimized to the tray.

But hey! It saves you from having to open it yourself and that's what it's all about right? xD For me it's a matter of my forgetting to do it if it doesn't boot with my PC and I like task manager always on and logging things like CPU,Network, and Disk usage. Being able to glance down at my tray and see if my CPU usage spikes gives me peace of mind lol.

Task Manager on Boot.png