Will I need a new PSU?

Hi guys! I am planning on upgrading my old athlon x3 450 to a new fx series. Depending on whether or not I need a new power supply I may get an 8350. However I only have a 500w PSU and am running a 7870 as well. Nothing is overclocked. Will I need a new PSU?

Thanks alot!

I can cook minute rice in 55 seconds

Which FX exactly?

Assuming you'll be getting the FX 8350, No. You'll be fine with a 500w.

What specs or model of psu is it? The 7870 can run on a cx430 just fine with the included adapter.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

do you have a good psu

if you have 80 plus psu that you will be find

Manners Maketh Man

Hi guys! I am planning on upgrading my old athlon x3 450 to a new fx series. Depending on whether or not I need a new power supply I may get an 8350. However I only have a 500w PSU and am running a 7870 as well. Nothing is overclocked. Will I need a new PSU?

Thanks alot!

^if you didn't get any notifications then check the replies.

I'd get 650W+ with 80Plus bronze or higher rating just in case. Unless its rather new and from good manufacturer.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I would suggest go for a higher wattage psu for that, you will be able to overclock with 500, but the problem is that you are pushing your PSU near it's limit, so a good 650-750 80 bronze PSU, would be a good choice

Another thing is that modern PSU-s can handle max load for a long time, but the other problem is the heat and the noise.

If you do not want to overclock than keep this PSU it it has 80+ rating if not buy a more powerful one!

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

500 watts is more than enough if you not intend to oc or to have multiple graphic cards.

500 watts is more than enough if you not intend to oc or to have multiple graphic cards.

for an 8350? and dual gpu setup? dude maybe low end ones but a mid high end, forget it, only cpu + 1 gpu with no oc

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

for an 8350? and dual gpu setup? dude maybe low end ones but a mid high end, forget it, only cpu + 1 gpu with no oc

depends on what type gpu you takes but most of the time i think 750w is enough for dual cards like people say before its not about the watts its about how many amps it cangive continues.

i have seen psu with 500 wath that give 60 amps and find 600w who give 46 amps get.

for my opinion go with a 600 to 750watt psu and get gold or platinum then you will be settled for a long time + that they are trying to create gpu and cpu who uses less power and better performance so eventualy the 750watts will be more than enough in the future.

depends on what type gpu you takes but most of the time i think 750w is enough for dual cards like people say before its not about the watts its about how many amps it cangive continues.

i have seen psu with 500 wath that give 60 amps and find 600w who give 46 amps get.

for my opinion go with a 600 to 750watt psu and get gold or platinum then you will be settled for a long time + that they are trying to create gpu and cpu who uses less power and better performance so eventualy the 750watts will be more than enough in the future.

Yes this is true, but i have a friend with a 750w corsair tx series 80+ bronze and has an old i7 ( power hog ) and a radeon HD 5850, non of them are oced and that does not pull more than 400W and modern day stuff is more efficient so i you might oc a but, but this is am AMD CPU, it can pull out more than a 1150 intel CPU.

So if you buy a PSU from a good brand you should not worry too much about not being able to power your components.

System

indeed a good brand foor better service after you buy and a good label bronze, silver, gold etc.

i think you misread him, he said that it's okay if you're NOT going for the dual GPU or OC! :P

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

A good quality 500w (80+Bronze at least) is enough for a 8350 and a 7870 setup with a little oc. If a TX650 was enough to run my 7970 CF and a Fx8320

@4,2ghz. Just got the HX850 to OC more and Modular cables.

|VII Hero|4790K@4,6Ghz 1.282v W/Supermacy Evo|Asus R9 290 CF EK Fullcover|HyperX Fury 1600mhz 4x4Gb|EVGA P2 1000|Arc Midi R2|500Gb 850 Evo|Win 10 Enterp.|

|Z87 Gryphon|4770k(Delid)@4.2Ghz 1.198v W/Corator DS|Gainward GTX 570|Genesis 2x4Gb 1600mhz|TX750|350D|SP900 128Gb|Win 10 pro||Nexus 5X|

OP, a few things to factor in.  What is the make/model of your PSU?  What's important is how many Amps are on the 12V rail.  You REALLY need to only have a single 12V rail for this setup.  I'd say if you're at 35A+ you're fine, that's 420V allocated to your CPU and motherboard and other major components.  Here is a breakdown if you will"

HD 7870 uses 2 PCI-E 6 pin connectors each capable of pulling 75W each and the PCI-E slot can pull up to 75W as well.  That totals: 225W

An FX-8350 @ 1.45V @ 4.5Ghz pulls about 175W give or take.

That's 400W, and you're extras ram mobo drives fans etc add about 50W depending putting you at 450W.  So you could overclock BOTH your CPU and GPU to a very high amount and have some left over depending on your 12V rail.  So at stock OP you're fine IF your PSU is decent.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

If your current PSU is a good one without separate rails it will be 100% fine with that set up, even if you overclocked the system a tad.

PSU tend to last a few builds so you could always upgrade if you want, 500W would be enough but you might want to get a larger one for future headroom.

500w is fine if its from a good name brand, just make sure it is NOT DIABLOTEK!

Yes, 500w is more than enough for overclocking. As for dual gpu, no. He also didn't state it was enough for 2 gpu's but instead the opposite.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes, 500w is more than enough for overclocking. As for dual gpu, no. He also didn't state it was enough for 2 gpu's but instead the opposite.

I misread the post, sry all, ty for pointing it out :)

System