Kim Dotcom answers questions on slashdot

original source: http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/07/27/200204/interviews-kim-dotcom-answers-your-questions

Select Q and A's (emphasis mine)

Mega Technique 

by Anonymous Coward

I've seen some criticism from open source advocates and hackers that Mega can't be trusted because the source isn't available.What assurance could you give someone to the point that their files may not be kept secret while hosted on your platform? 

Dotcom: I'm not involved in Mega anymore. Neither in a managing nor in a shareholder capacity. The company has suffered from a hostile takeover by a Chinese investor who is wanted in China for fraud. He used a number of straw-men and businesses to accumulate more and more Mega shares. Recently his shares have been seized by the NZ government. Which means the NZ government is in control. In addition Hollywood has seized all the Megashares in the family trust that was setup for my children. As a result of this and a number of other confidential issues I don't trust Mega anymore. I don't think your data is safe on Mega anymore. But my non-compete clause is running out at the end of the year and I will create a Mega competitor that is completely open source and non-profit, similar to the Wikipedia model. I want to give everyone free, unlimited and encrypted cloud storage with the help of donations from the community to keep things going.

Well damn. This is the first time that I've heard anything about the Chinese taking it over and then the NZ government taking it back. I actually trust Dotcom and his business practices always seem to be legally gray, with a big middle finger to "the authority" and siding with the technologically literate commonfolk. I regularly use Mega and Mega sync, and will move where ever he goes. I'm more attached to the "CEO" than I am to the company.

And somehow or another, no mainstream journalism is capitalizing on this quote. 

yWDhmu8.png

edit while writing: perhaps it's not true? dunno.

3dcbdbc5f0.png

If you could rewrite copyright 

by NotInHere

What would be your proposed copyright rule set, so that content producers still can live off their creations? 

Dotcom: Copyright & technology need to co-exist. Copyright creators need to adapt to new technologies and not the other way around. The Internet is threatening the old copyright models but it is also offering an enormous opportunity to monetize copyright with innovative concepts that are better than those of the past. Today we are living in a world of copyright extremism. It is completely misguided and it's hurting technology companies and the Internet as a whole. I believe that the companies and people creating content should be compensated for their work and investments. But just like any other industry the copyright industry has to evolve, constantly. It isn't right to censor the Internet and stifle innovation just because the creative industry is struggling to find newer, better business models.

I don't know what to emphasize here. Everything said is like the biggest no shit Sherlock that companies should be seeing, but somehow aren't. 

Modern Warfare 3 

by Spy Handler

Did you achieve your rank all by yourself, or were there other people you shared your account with?

What is your favorite
-Game type? (Team Deathmatch, Search and Destroy, etc)
-Loadout
-Perks

Any other comments or stories you'd like to share about your COD experience?

Dotcom: I played on my account the vast majority of the time. I have always achieved the #1 spot in any Call of Duty without help. But to maintain the #1 spot I would sometimes ask someone to help me out when I had long business meetings or other time consuming engagements. I played free-for-all and I had so many players chasing my #1 spot that it would have been impossible to maintain it without help because of my time constraints.

A story I like to share is this: I would rarely verse players in free-for-all who could impress me. Especially in 1on1 matches. But every now and then there was a standout talent. One kid impressed me with his skills and I decided to sponsor him to become a top competitive player. If given the opportunity he could win COD champs one day. We became good friends and he is currently living at the mansion and we play video games together.

I'm in love with Destiny at the moment. AW was a disappointment but I can't wait for Black Ops 3 to come out.

Damn, now I know why he tried to save Christmas, to play Destiny. Too bad LS didn't appreciate their gift and dissed him a few months later.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

" I will create a Mega competitor that is completely open source and non-profit" I thought this is what mega was to megaupload.... 

" I will create a Mega competitor that is completely open source and non-profit" I thought this is what mega was to megaupload.... 

My impression of Mega was a "legal" Megaupload (partly) to spite the RIAA/MPAA/US government/etc.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!