Budget Router Question, the RT-N12

Cobalt

First post, so excited!!

Ok now, so I have a gateway at my house (the one that came with my internet plan) and I'm planning to start the creation of my home network with: *drums* the RT-N12 router from Asus.

The question I have is: I've read quiet a few about it but, Is it really the best option for my money?? Is there a better one from another brand??

Also, It ain't possible to build a home network with a gateway right??

If the "gateway" is what Im thinking of then yes it would allow you to build a new work. Does the device have more than 1 Ethernet port? If it has more than one port then its a modem and router combo. Some of these have wireless. My friend has one of these and its ok ish. He had to buy a wireless access point because the wireless portion was not great. Im one of those people who rather have a standard cable modem and buy a router that's good. Im sure others will chime in on what router to get. I can say DONT buy Dlink, thats what I got. Its not a bad router just the firmware clunky.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well i'd recommend a gigabit router, if you will be file sharing in your network the speed is definitely worth the extra money. Most cable/dsl modems support bridge mode, which is what you should do when you get a new router.

And about the D-Links, they are not bad, most of the problems can be avoided if you turn off QoS (had 2 routers both had similar problems). Or you can just put dd-wrt on it and forget the troubles.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, sorry for the delay, I would love to go gigabit but "budget" is the money word here. As for my modem/gateway, I just found out where to enable bridge mode, I didn't knew I had to do that, thanks.

I found two other options for the router with a similar pricing: the Linksys E900 LA and the D-Link DIR-905 (I'm taking this one with precautions), what would you guys consider best??

Second, I'm hoping to buy pair of Powerline adapters (Asus X31M) for my brother's Xbox, I don't want an Ethernet cable running through half of my house anymore. I've heard that they are a viable option to that, do any of you have experience with Powerline in general??

Both look good, d-link would probably get you more range on wireless (external antennas).

As far as i know powerline right now is plug and play and should not give any trouble setting up, though never used it and probably never will because i just run a cable to stuff that i need.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Ok, so took out the Linksys, left the Asus vs the D-Link, aaand, the Asus won, I'll be ordering the RT-N12 and my Powerline (would like the cable directly, but it goes from one end of the living room to the other and from there to the bedroom, so yeah, that) in the course of this week, thanks so much rufee