8-pin 12v CPU cable melted due to arcing.

Hiya everyone, I would like to ask what are the possible outcomes from my "experiment" with a Corsair CX750 power supply.
So recently, my friend's  8-pin CPU cable from the power supply melted due to arcing. My friend managed to unplug by force the 8pin cable, but it is destroyed. I was wondering if we can cut the cable, place a new 8-pin socket to connect to the motherboard and use a cable extension to plug it into the motherboard. What could be the negative outcomes from this "experiment"? My friend does not currently have a power supply and he would like to use his 8320 and GTX 780TI as opposed to a Core 2 Quad and GTX 650. This is purely just to temporarely replace as a power supply, he's really low on money at the moment and he has everything we need to do this (8pin plastic connector, cable extension etc)

FOR THE LOVE OF "insert name here" DO NOT EVER BUY A CORSAIR CX POWER SUPPLY THEY WILL KILL YOUR COMPONENTS!!!

(my cx600 destroyed a i7 3770 with the OEM mobo and it still didn't work after changing to 970 chipset with fx 8320)

EDIT: Friend claims it arced, I thought it was because of him being a retard for using a 9590 on a incompatible motherboard

UPDATE 1: We used our mediocre soldering skills to solder back a plug that he had, we only soldered the 4 first pins and tried it on a pentium 4 computer : IT WORKS! IT BOOTED!

UPDATE 2: We soldered the other 4pins for the 8pin 12v and we are currently stress testing a I5 4690K at 4.7ghz and 1.350v (runs at around 1.380)

FINAL UPDATE: We stressed tested the power supply plugged in to my I5 4690K at 4.7ghz and my R9 290X overclocked for 2 hours and it works fine!

wait how the hell did it arc

I mean it should work, but you know. you managed to arc something that doesnt

This is why you dont buy CX series PSU's

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Hiya everyone, I would like to ask what are the possible outcomes from my "experiment" with a Corsair CX750 power supply.

So recently, my friend's  8-pin CPU cable from the power supply melted due to arcing. My friend managed to unplug by force the 8pin cable, but it is destroyed. I was wondering if we can cut the cable, place a new 8-pin socket to connect to the motherboard and use a cable extension to plug it into the motherboard. What could be the negative outcomes from this "experiment"? My friend does not currently have a power supply and he would like to use his 8320 and GTX 780TI as opposed to a Core 2 Quad and GTX 650. This is purely just to temporarely replace as a power supply, he's really low on money at the moment and he has everything we need to do this (8pin plastic connector, cable extension etc)

Welcome to the forums!

As for arcing and that occur they must have been drawing a lot of current for that to occur with a bad connection, but if you are able to source a new 8 pin receptacle for the motherboard and solder it in it should work as long as nothing else was damaged. 

This is why you dont buy CX series PSU's

Sounds like they unplugged it while the computer was on.

wait how the hell did it arc

I mean it should work, but you know. you managed to arc something that doesnt

This is my friend claiming that it arced due to misplug, I thought it was because he was retarded enough to use his 9590 on a motherboard that wasn't even compatible.

i have a CX for a long ass time. it has served me well :)

Then you sir, are very lucky. I just can't believe my CX600 killed my I7 3770 with the OEM motherboard then my friend has a melted 8pin cable I'm never trusting corsair CX ever again.

i have a CX for a long ass time. it has served me well :)

CX500/600Mfor a total of four years. Works fine.

I've been running a CX PSU for years

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Running a CX750M PSU for over a year now....

You yanked out the 8 pin CPU cable so RMA will def be rejected.

Unless you can do some good soldering then you need to buy a new PSU.

This is my friend claiming that it arced due to misplug, I thought it was because he was retarded enough to use his 9590 on a motherboard that wasn't even compatible.

No harm is done by putting a 9590 into an AM3+ board that isn't compatible with it. It just won't boot.

"Rawr XD"

No harm is done by putting a 9590 into an AM3+ board that isn't compatible with it. It just won't boot.

It actualy did boot, the cpu just ran at 1.7ghz all the time

It actualy did boot, the cpu just ran at 1.7ghz all the time

What motherboard?

"Rawr XD"

Arcing?  At 12 volts?

Do you mean it somehow was shorted?  That would lead to excess current draw, and enough heat to melt the insulation.

Arcing?  At 12 volts?

Do you mean it somehow was shorted?  That would lead to excess current draw, and enough heat to melt the insulation.

I told him everyone thinks it's not arcing but he keeps claiming that it is. I have absolutely no idea about specificaly why it melted.

I've NEVER seen 12v arc... ever. 120v? yeah, I can see that, but 12v... cant happen. WHAT CAN happen, is if the plug wasnt connected correctly/poor plug quality and had excessive resistance, that would cause it to melt. If it was arcing, chances are you would hear it.