Windows 10 has been, or will be downloaded today for those who reserved - Don't delete C:\$windows.~BT

GoodBytes

Hm, I know it launches on the 29th, but according to which timezone? oO

It comes out at midnight EST/5am BST/2pm AEST

well technically you can do a clean install once they release an ISO. but you gotta do a registry edit to get it to validate.

I don't see why you'd do that. Just get your product key after upgrading, then use the ISO to clean install with the product key. It should be that simple. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well, I would have gotten the reservation a long time ago, if GWX.exe did not magically refuse to launch.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

@GoodBytes you seem to know a lot about this stuff so; can I just copy the windows~bt folder when the download is finished on 1 machine to the others? Since I only have 5mbps down... And I have at least 4 machines that I can currently think of to upgrade. Or can I somehow enable LAN peered based downloading? 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Do we know if we'll need the "upgraded" product key or will we just log in with our Microsoft account?

I assume the one Microsoft's Headquarters is in. West Coast in the USA, because that's Washington State.

Hm, I know it launches on the 29th, but according to which timezone? oO

its midnight your time zone, some users in asia and aus/nz have installed the upgrade

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Nice.
Can't wait to do a clean install from USB later on :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

@GoodBytes you seem to know a lot about this stuff so; can I just copy the windows~bt folder when the download is finished on 1 machine to the others? Since I only have 5mbps down... And I have at least 4 machines that I can currently think of to upgrade. Or can I somehow enable LAN peered based downloading?

Well.. As much as I want to say: yes. What bugs me is that Microsoft said you need to upgrade first with the Win10 upgrade app, before you can download the ISO for future clean installs. I don't know how the entire back-end on how it works, so I can't tell if you'll end up upgrade your system to Windows 10, and then see that you can't activate it. And now you need not only install back Windows 7/8, but update it alllllll the way to the latest update, to get the app, and download Win10.

I don't have a system to test this on my side sadly. :/

I would wait 1-2 days for your other system and see if we can get more information either from someone else that tested or preferably Microsoft. Let alone see how the actual upgrade will work.

Just checked to see if I had this folder with the files a few minutes ago, and I do. Hype!

if everything is downloaded, could we technically install it today?

COMIC SANS

Microsoft will unlock and activate the Windows 10 install at midnight tonight. 

Midnight local time or midnight Microsoft's time? Because if the latter is the case, then I'll have to wait until 3AM.

:/

COMIC SANS

I don't think so. My Surface Pro 2 doesn't have it yet, either. You and my Surface Pro 2 (my desktop is on insider preview), are probably on a different wave. So maybe later today, or tomorrow, or next day, or if unlucky.. August. :S

Apparently the 980ti is considered compatible now but the updater doesn't check for compatibility more than once a month, so it still listed my system as incompatible with Windows 10. Annoyingly you can't have it check compatibility on command and you have to wait for the monthly compatibility check... Fiddled around with the system date and time settings, not really expecting it to do anything, but to my surprise it did. The updater checked compatibility again and I'm all clear now :)

Unfortunately no download yet... :(

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Here we go.

For people not seeing it downloaded: it's a hidden folder on your C:\ drive.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Correct. The limited time offer for getting Windows 10 end July 29th, 2016.

So if i bought Windows 8.1 key after 29th i will be able to upgrade to Windows 10

So if i bought Windows 8.1 key after 29th i will be able to upgrade to Windows 10

Correct.

Apparently the 980ti is considered compatible now but the updater doesn't check for compatibility more than once a month, so it still listed my system as incompatible with Windows 10. Annoyingly you can't have it check compatibility on command and you have to wait for the monthly compatibility check... Fiddled around with the system date and time settings, not really expecting it to do anything, but to my surprise it did. The updater checked compatibility again and I'm all clear now :)

I tried that trick but nothing happened yet. Do I have to restart?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I tried that trick but nothing happened yet. Do I have to restart?

Nope, I just moved my date forward one month and back again. That triggered the compatibility check for me.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Guess I'm one of the unlucky ones, oh well doesn't really matter too much. I wasn't going to upgrade immediately anyway. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Nope, I just moved my date forward one month and back again. That triggered the compatibility check for me.

Dammit. I can't seem to get it to force itself. And I'm getting that bullshit "Windows 10 can't be installed because of the 980 Ti." Nvidia needs to get their shit together. Microsoft too. Ugh.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Already have the full version of 10

#InsiderMasterRace

haven't touched my insider install in a while, are there any nasty surprises or is everything fine?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Its official, any Windows Update gets my rig stuck in the failure to configure updates loop-guess I don't have a reason or way to upgrade sidegrade to Windows 10.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

haven't touched my insider install in a while, are there any nasty surprises or is everything fine?

for the most part its stable at the mo just make sure if your running nvidea your running the latest drivers

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Just checked to see if I had this folder with the files a few minutes ago, and I do. Hype!

if everything is downloaded, could we technically install it today?

Nope. Another user tried. 

Is this version 10240?

Yes

I wonder what would happen if you uninstall the update, restart, and re-install it?

Yes.

for the most part its stable at the mo just make sure if your running nvidea your running the latest drivers

Actually, I found the most recent nvidia drivers to be massively unreliable.

Well...got most of the files now.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.