Windows 10 has been, or will be downloaded today for those who reserved - Don't delete C:\$windows.~BT

GoodBytes

nop, mine doesn't match any of them

Mine neither...

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

nop, mine doesn't match any of them

2 different things that I've read so far.

1. When upgrading to Windows 10, your computer generated a unique hardware id, where it gets send to Microsoft activation server. The server validates that unique hardware id and then validates and activates your Windows 10 os. Now when you do a clean install, it will activate based on that unique hardware id. If you change too much hardware, then I assume, it will have to create a new hardware id, but if you did it after the free upgrade expires, then, you won't be able to reactivate your Win10 OS as the hardware id will be different than the one you had?

2. When upgrade to Windows 10, your current product key is sent to ms along with a unique hardware id. When you want to reinstall Win10, then you'll have to install 7 or 8.1 first and then perform the upgrade to win10 and it will activate based on  7 or 8.1 key you had, during the free win10 upgrade time frame. If you have a oem license, then your license cannot be transfered to a new computer so that means, you might loose your Windows 10 os. but if you have a retail license, then you can transfer that to a new computer. So with retail license, on a brand new build, you can install 8.1 first and activate with your retail key. After that upgrade to win10 and it should activate.

I'm going to do a clean install, to see if, I'll get a different key, but I can't test if changing too much hardware will render my license invalid and have to get a new one as I've got a retail os.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Anyone who is waiting for the notification and wants windows 10 now follow this

http://www.redmondpie.com/force-download-windows-10-free-upgrade-right-now-heres-how-tutorial/

Just be aware there may be a reason you havent been notified, im on a probook 4530s and i followed this and had some bugs caused by driver support for my device being buggy, causing slow boots. If you want to take the dive and are prepared to take the risk like me go ahead!

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

Telemetry data collecting was there since XP. Nothing is there to identify you, or track you.

This is how Microsoft focuses on features that matters for most people, and cuts out feature that people don't care about.

For example, when they cut Media Center, you don't see a mass number of people complaining... very few people used it.

When Microsoft decided to improve multiple display in Windows 8, Microsoft telemetry data showed that multiple monitor setup is more common these days, and that they should improve it. It is similar to how Steam collects data on how much you play each game, and computer specs.

I sometimes wonder if people where given the option which they would prefer, having telemetry on and getting better improved products for everyone, or go back to the old days where product improvements generally only suited the people who took the time to fill out surveys.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Anyone who is waiting for the notification and wants windows 10 now follow this

http://www.redmondpie.com/force-download-windows-10-free-upgrade-right-now-heres-how-tutorial/

Just be aware there may be a reason you havent been notified, im on a probook 4530s and i followed this and had some bugs caused by driver support for my device being buggy, causing slow boots. If you want to take the dive and are prepared to take the risk like me go ahead!

That reason is still in many cases going to be Microsoft's gradual rollout. My main Windows 7 install only got the upgrade last night, and it had been reserved for a long time. And I'd been dual-booting the tech preview since October.

2 different things that I've read so far.

1. When upgrading to Windows 10, your computer generated a unique hardware id, where it gets send to Microsoft activation server. The server validates that unique hardware id and then validates and activates your Windows 10 os. Now when you do a clean install, it will activate based on that unique hardware id. If you change too much hardware, then I assume, it will have to create a new hardware id, but if you did it after the free upgrade expires, then, you won't be able to reactivate your Win10 OS as the hardware id will be different than the one you had?

2. When upgrade to Windows 10, your current product key is sent to ms along with a unique hardware id. When you want to reinstall Win10, then you'll have to install 7 or 8.1 first and then perform the upgrade to win10 and it will activate based on  7 or 8.1 key you had, during the free win10 upgrade time frame. If you have a oem license, then your license cannot be transfered to a new computer so that means, you might loose your Windows 10 os. but if you have a retail license, then you can transfer that to a new computer. So with retail license, on a brand new build, you can install 8.1 first and activate with your retail key. After that upgrade to win10 and it should activate.

I'm going to do a clean install, to see if, I'll get a different key, but I can't test if changing too much hardware will render my license invalid and have to get a new one as I've got a retail os.

AFAIK, that is very wrong. Your 7/8.1 product key is made invalid, and you get a NEW Windows 10 key. (It is made valid again if you revert) If you make big changes to hardware, you need to activate via phone. This applies to OEM, and sort of retail

AFAIK, that is very wrong. Your 7/8.1 product key is made invalid, and you get a NEW Windows 10 key. (It is made valid again if you revert) If you make big changes to hardware, you need to activate via phone. This applies to OEM, and sort of retail

Well they did not give me a new Windows 10 key, but a generic key that everyone can basically grab from the internet.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Well they did not give me a new Windows 10 key, but a generic key that everyone can basically grab from the internet.

Where you installing using an insider disc?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Where you installing using an insider disc?

downloaded the media creation tool from MS and used that to upgrade. I do have a insider account, but I didn't feel like using that to do the upgrade.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Not sure about the OP, while I have a $WINDOWS.~BT folder of 402kB the main update seems to be in folder $Windows.~WS (5.8GB).

Still on 8.1 for now even though I keep getting nagged via taskbar that W10 is ready. Will give it a little more time yet to see how things are with early adopters.

Not sure about the OP, while I have a $WINDOWS.~BT folder of 402kB the main update seems to be in folder $Windows.~WS (5.8GB).

Still on 8.1 for now even though I keep getting nagged via taskbar that W10 is ready. Will give it a little more time yet to see how things are with early adopters.

If you have a read through the thread (that will take a while wink.png ) it's basically full of everyone's experiences so far (including mine). You might learn a bit more about the Windows 10 experience in the process.

One thing I can say right now though is that the store is dead, It's not allowing any downloads or updates. This appears to be fairly recent as there's reddit entries on Google from around 16-20 hours ago.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
It should exist, but if not, create it.
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001

Does this really work? For people who don't have the GWX.exe on and can't install? (asking for my friend)

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

If you have a read through the thread (that will take a while wink.png ) it's basically full of everyone's experiences so far (including mine). You might learn a bit more about the Windows 10 experience in the process.

Do you really expect everyone to read ~700 posts? Better IMHO if the first post is updated, failing that then search which incidentally only shows one vague reference (post 565) to the folder I mentioned. ;)

Does this really work? For people who don't have the GWX.exe on and can't install? (asking for my friend)

that I do not know

if you're missing GWX.exe, then you're missing KBs

Guys, I guess downloading Windows 10 via Windows Update is pretty waste of time. Sometimes it won't install for some bad reasons.

You can always download your respective version of ISO file here legally.

And then upgrade via that, plus you get to keep ISO file for future clean installation on your PC or some one's PC.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

My key is NOT generic. AND it is not my Win7 key, it's a new one. I don't know why you got a generic

My key is NOT generic. AND it is not my Win7 key, it's a new one. I don't know why you got a generic

Maybe it's because I upgrade with the media tool? Don't know, I'll do a clean install to see if it gives me a new key. I do have media center, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Maybe it's because I upgrade with the media tool? Don't know, I'll do a clean install to see if it gives me a new key. I do have media center, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Retail, OEM - System Builder, or prebuilt? (This is for both of you.)

Desktop: win8 pro retail, update to 8.1 added mce pack retail. Upgrade to win10 pro, using media creation tool, gets generic key.

Laptop: win8 pro oem, update to 8.1 still oem. Added mce pack, license is now retail. Upgrade to win10 pro, using media creation tool. Gets a generic key.

Both os are activated. Still in the process of updating to 8.1 on my laptop.

The os is retail, if it was oem, then under window is activated, that id will have the word oem in it.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

OEM

I upgraded with the Media Creation Tool.

Desktop: win8 pro retail, update to 8.1 added mce pack retail. Upgrade to win10 pro, using media creation tool, gets generic key.

Laptop: win8 pro oem, update to 8.1 still oem. Added mce pack, license is now retail. Upgrade to win10 pro, using media creation tool. Gets a generic key.

Both os are activated. Still in the process of updating to 8.1 on my laptop.

The os is retail, if it was oem, then under window is activated, that id will have the word oem in it.

OEM

I upgraded with the Media Creation Tool.

Interesting... I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I should see what key I get

Just finished updating to win10 on my laptop, still generic key but os is activated.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I got win 7 home premium installed right now but I got a key for win 8.1 pro lying around. I assume if I upgrade from 7, I will get 10 home premium? So I would have to install 8.1 then upgrade to 10 I assume? Sounds like a bother :\

I also have 8.1 running on my macbook. Does anyone know if I can upgrade that one without problems?

Been on Windows 10 MacBook for a week now, and Bootcamp drivers where just updated. You should be good to go.