Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoodBytes

Windows 10 has been, or will be downloaded today for those who reserved - Don't delete C:\$windows.~BT

Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
It should exist, but if not, create it.
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001

You sir, are a legend

does anybody know a fix for the something happened error in the media creation tool?

If nothing else works you can try changing all your language and region/location settings in Control Panel to English US, that's how my brother got it to work on his laptop.  I think there's something a little screwy with the AU servers because no other method worked for us.

Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Region and Language

Change the location to United States, change keyboard and language to English (US) and go to the Administrative tab and Change System Locale to English (United States).

You may have to restart a couple of times while making these changes.  After you've done all of them and restarted run the media creation tool and hit upgrade.  If it still doesn't work, download it using IE and hit run so it ends up in your temp files.  For some reason that along with all the region changes fixes the problem.

After you've installed Windows 10 leave it be for a while and let it install updates and stuff in the background, have a fiddle with some basic visual settings and stuff while you're waiting.  Make sure your antivirus is working correctly (the update borks some of them and requires them to be updated), then go into either control panel or settings and change all the region and language stuff back to how it was.  You'll have to go hunting for them, they'll be in slightly different locations.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

If it still doesn't work, download it using IE and hit run so it ends up in your temp files.  For some reason that along with all the region changes fixes the problem.

holy shit this one worked, is now downloading :D

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

She looks so unhappy being there, but atleast they put the effort into tell people what's going on.

Also those teeth are the whitest I've seen since Ross on Friends. Also there are no Microsoft, or even Apple stores in Ireland. I shall forever suffer. :P

She looks like she's really struggling to keep that weird Microsoft upbeat style going.

still waiting on the download here :( anyone else still waiting?

Yeah, the main OS install (Win 7) on my main rig is still waiting. It's funny, I've been dual booting the tech preview on that machine since like October, and reserved the upgrade forever ago, but it's somehow not ready to upgrade me. I have had practically zero issues with the tech preview too, so I don't think it's holding back because of hardware that could cause issues. I guess there's just a really long queue for Win 10.

I don't really mind. I could have just forced it, but I've been fine on Win 7 for several years, I think I can handle a few more weeks.

I had Win 10 Insider on my old laptop. Now it won't even POST anymore D:

Also, no download here yet.

For the record, I fixed the issue. Reseated the RAM and it works without any problems.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

For the record, I fixed the issue. Reseated the RAM and it works without any problems.

#LinusRAMTips

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

#LinusRAMTips

"If it ain't POST-in', reseat the RAM."

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It did not download yet for me ... on both my desktop and surface pro...

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

Posted · Original PosterOP

It did not download yet for me ... on both my desktop and surface pro...

Yes, Surface Pro is not ready. Microsoft is waiting for Intel for it's HD graphics which isn't power saving.

Yes, Surface Pro is not ready. Microsoft is waiting for Intel for it's HD graphics which isn't power saving.

Surface Pro 3 has it alrdy fyi. i got it on the first day.

Surface Pro 3 has it alrdy fyi. i got it on the first day

Yeah except I have the surface pro 1 

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

Surface Pro 3 has it alrdy fyi. i got it on the first day.

Yea. But not the Pro 1 and Pro 2. I think the wireless card drivers is also an issue.

I got win 7 home premium installed right now but I got a key for win 8.1 pro lying around. I assume if I upgrade from 7, I will get 10 home premium? So I would have to install 8.1 then upgrade to 10 I assume? Sounds like a bother :\

I also have 8.1 running on my macbook. Does anyone know if I can upgrade that one without problems?

I got win 7 home premium installed right now but I got a key for win 8.1 pro lying around. I assume if I upgrade from 7, I will get 10 home premium? So I would have to install 8.1 then upgrade to 10 I assume? Sounds like a bother :\

I also have 8.1 running on my macbook. Does anyone know if I can upgrade that one without problems?

Windows 10 Home Premium does not exists.

You have Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro.

Media Center is has been discontinued. And same for the DVD codec. However, Microsoft says that a DVD playback app will be be available for those who have Windows 7 or 8 with Media Center installed for free (although if you clean install, you'll loose the app as there is no way to know that you used to have Media Center before), but the app will be available for purchase at a later date for everyone. No pricing information or date is known yet.

I still didn't get the download :( Only that it is ....reserved ... *sigh*

Stay strong, it will come. Beside, rumors says that Microsoft will release in early August a massive update which they have been working on since the selection of RTM build which will fix a mass number of bugs and issues with Windows 10.

Stay strong, it will come. Beside, rumors says that Microsoft will release in early August a massive update which they have been working on since the selection of RTM build which will fix a mass number of bugs and issues with Windows 10.

Hopefully it fixes the problems with privacy ... :/

Hopefully it fixes the problems with privacy ... :/

Things didn't change from Windows 8. If you want privacy, yet enjoy the full experience of Windows, then this is what I suggest:

-> Make a Microsoft account which you don't put your full name, put your alias. Don't use it for e-mail, calendar. Use you own e-mail service (because Google, Yahoo, all tracks you for targeted ads). If you don't want the full experience, including sync of settings between your devices, switch to a local account, keep the other account for activation of Windows 10 when you clean install.

-> Turn off advertisement ID, and say you don't want targeted ads

-> Set the telemetry data collecting to basic. (telemetry data collecting was there since Windows XP).

-> Don't use OneDrive, or any similar cloud storage service (they all track you), host your own with OwnCloud (https://owncloud.org/) it is free for PC (mobile app is 1$. free for personal usage)

-> Use Mozilla Firefox. It is the only web browser that put privacy first.

-> Turn off the sending Windows and applications crash reports to Microsoft

-> Turn on all privacy settings under Settings -> Privacy

-> Don't use the app store (as you'll need to give your credit card information for purchases, if you purchase anything)

Now you should have a bare bone Windows 10 experience, very similar to Windows XP to 7, where you are avoiding using any Microsoft services, and doing additional steps from using any other company services which all includes tracking.

Things didn't change from Windows 8. If you want privacy, yet enjoy the full experience of Windows, then this is what I suggest:

-> Make a Microsoft account which you don't put your full name, put your alias. Don't use it for e-mail, calendar. Use you own e-mail service (because Google, Yahoo, all tracks you for targeted ads). If you don't want the full experience, including sync of settings between your devices, switch to a local account, keep the other account for activation of Windows 10 when you clean install.

-> Turn off advertisement ID, and say you don't want targeted ads

-> Set the telemetry data collecting to basic. (telemetry data collecting was there since Windows XP).

-> Don't use OneDrive, or any similar cloud storage service (they all track you), host your own with OwnCloud (https://owncloud.org/) it is free for PC (mobile app is 1$. free for personal usage)

-> Use Mozilla Firefox. It is the only web browser that put privacy first.

-> Turn off the sending Windows and applications crash reports to Microsoft

-> Turn on all privacy settings

-> Don't use the app store (as you'll need to give your credit card information for purchases, if you purchase anything)

Now you should have a bare bone Windows 10 experience, very similar to Windows XP to 7, where you are avoiding using any Microsoft services, and doing additional steps from using any other company services which all includes tracking.

Thank you. It's about time someone silenced all this "oooh microsoft is spying on you" and nsa rubbish regarding Win10.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this or not. But it may help some people wanting to update asap. 

This

will force Windows 7/8.1 to start the update to 10. 

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this or not. But it may help some people wanting to update asap. 

This

will force Windows 7/8.1 to start the update to 10. 

Used the tool yesterday, but installed and updated W8.1 clean first(in order to get the upgrade).

Worked like a cham. W10 Pro activated...

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Used the tool yesterday, but installed and updated W8.1 clean first(in order to get the upgrade).

Worked like a cham. W10 Pro activated...

had a nightmare trying to do thsat. Windows update kept having errors and I had to manually download the failed updates before I could get Windows 10 :/

Finally got Windows 10 installed. Had to use that media creation tool to download a iso file and then use that to upgrade it. So far go good, windows automatically activates and gives me a dedicated Windows 10 key. They removed Media Center so now it's replace with a app call Windows DVD Player. The app was not initially installed with Windows 10. It seems to have installed from Windows Update.For those curious on how it looks like, here is that app.

post-145129-0-90528900-1438575101.png

post-145129-0-90528900-1438575101.png

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Already have the full version of 10

#InsiderMasterRace

i used mirocsoft upgrade from their site, the media creation tool thing, windows 10 pro

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Finally got Windows 10 installed. Had to use that media creation tool to download a iso file and then use that to upgrade it. So far go good, windows automatically activates and gives me a dedicated Windows 10 key. They removed Media Center so now it's replace with a app call Windows DVD Player. The app was not initially installed with Windows 10. It seems to have installed from Windows Update.For those curious on how it looks like, here is that app.

win10 dvd app.PNG

Please check it's not a generic key. Used a key program and realised it was just giving me a generic key