Windows 10 has been, or will be downloaded today for those who reserved - Don't delete C:\$windows.~BT

GoodBytes

I got win 7 home premium installed right now but I got a key for win 8.1 pro lying around. I assume if I upgrade from 7, I will get 10 home premium? So I would have to install 8.1 then upgrade to 10 I assume? Sounds like a bother :\

I also have 8.1 running on my macbook. Does anyone know if I can upgrade that one without problems?

I got win 7 home premium installed right now but I got a key for win 8.1 pro lying around. I assume if I upgrade from 7, I will get 10 home premium? So I would have to install 8.1 then upgrade to 10 I assume? Sounds like a bother :\

I also have 8.1 running on my macbook. Does anyone know if I can upgrade that one without problems?

Windows 10 Home Premium does not exists.

You have Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro.

Media Center is has been discontinued. And same for the DVD codec. However, Microsoft says that a DVD playback app will be be available for those who have Windows 7 or 8 with Media Center installed for free (although if you clean install, you'll loose the app as there is no way to know that you used to have Media Center before), but the app will be available for purchase at a later date for everyone. No pricing information or date is known yet.

I still didn't get the download :( Only that it is ....reserved ... *sigh*

Stay strong, it will come. Beside, rumors says that Microsoft will release in early August a massive update which they have been working on since the selection of RTM build which will fix a mass number of bugs and issues with Windows 10.

Stay strong, it will come. Beside, rumors says that Microsoft will release in early August a massive update which they have been working on since the selection of RTM build which will fix a mass number of bugs and issues with Windows 10.

Hopefully it fixes the problems with privacy ... :/

Hopefully it fixes the problems with privacy ... :/

Things didn't change from Windows 8. If you want privacy, yet enjoy the full experience of Windows, then this is what I suggest:

-> Make a Microsoft account which you don't put your full name, put your alias. Don't use it for e-mail, calendar. Use you own e-mail service (because Google, Yahoo, all tracks you for targeted ads). If you don't want the full experience, including sync of settings between your devices, switch to a local account, keep the other account for activation of Windows 10 when you clean install.

-> Turn off advertisement ID, and say you don't want targeted ads

-> Set the telemetry data collecting to basic. (telemetry data collecting was there since Windows XP).

-> Don't use OneDrive, or any similar cloud storage service (they all track you), host your own with OwnCloud (https://owncloud.org/) it is free for PC (mobile app is 1$. free for personal usage)

-> Use Mozilla Firefox. It is the only web browser that put privacy first.

-> Turn off the sending Windows and applications crash reports to Microsoft

-> Turn on all privacy settings under Settings -> Privacy

-> Don't use the app store (as you'll need to give your credit card information for purchases, if you purchase anything)

Now you should have a bare bone Windows 10 experience, very similar to Windows XP to 7, where you are avoiding using any Microsoft services, and doing additional steps from using any other company services which all includes tracking.

Things didn't change from Windows 8. If you want privacy, yet enjoy the full experience of Windows, then this is what I suggest:

-> Make a Microsoft account which you don't put your full name, put your alias. Don't use it for e-mail, calendar. Use you own e-mail service (because Google, Yahoo, all tracks you for targeted ads). If you don't want the full experience, including sync of settings between your devices, switch to a local account, keep the other account for activation of Windows 10 when you clean install.

-> Set the telemetry data collecting to basic. (telemetry data collecting was there since Windows XP).

-> Don't use OneDrive, or any similar cloud storage service (they all track you), host your own with OwnCloud (https://owncloud.org/) it is free for PC (mobile app is 1$. free for personal usage)

-> Turn on all privacy settings

-> Don't use the app store (as you'll need to give your credit card information for purchases, if you purchase anything)

Now you should have a bare bone Windows 10 experience, very similar to Windows XP to 7, where you are avoiding using any Microsoft services, and doing additional steps from using any other company services which all includes tracking.

Thank you. It's about time someone silenced all this "oooh microsoft is spying on you" and nsa rubbish regarding Win10.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this or not. But it may help some people wanting to update asap. 

This

will force Windows 7/8.1 to start the update to 10. 

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this or not. But it may help some people wanting to update asap. 

This

will force Windows 7/8.1 to start the update to 10. 

Used the tool yesterday, but installed and updated W8.1 clean first(in order to get the upgrade).

Worked like a cham. W10 Pro activated...

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Used the tool yesterday, but installed and updated W8.1 clean first(in order to get the upgrade).

Worked like a cham. W10 Pro activated...

had a nightmare trying to do thsat. Windows update kept having errors and I had to manually download the failed updates before I could get Windows 10 :/

Finally got Windows 10 installed. Had to use that media creation tool to download a iso file and then use that to upgrade it. So far go good, windows automatically activates and gives me a dedicated Windows 10 key. They removed Media Center so now it's replace with a app call Windows DVD Player. The app was not initially installed with Windows 10. It seems to have installed from Windows Update.For those curious on how it looks like, here is that app.

post-145129-0-90528900-1438575101.png

post-145129-0-90528900-1438575101.png

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Already have the full version of 10

#InsiderMasterRace

i used mirocsoft upgrade from their site, the media creation tool thing, windows 10 pro

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Finally got Windows 10 installed. Had to use that media creation tool to download a iso file and then use that to upgrade it. So far go good, windows automatically activates and gives me a dedicated Windows 10 key. They removed Media Center so now it's replace with a app call Windows DVD Player. The app was not initially installed with Windows 10. It seems to have installed from Windows Update.For those curious on how it looks like, here is that app.

win10 dvd app.PNG

Please check it's not a generic key. Used a key program and realised it was just giving me a generic key

Anyone else having a non working start menu?

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Anyone else having a non working start menu?

Make sure your GPU drivers are the latest version

how long will it take to download?

Based upon the speed. I have 4MBps speed. it took 5hours roughly.

Krrish  B)

Based upon the speed. I have 4MBps speed. it took 5hours roughly.

That is a little late!!!

Now i want to know how long it will take to reinstall all of my programs when i roll back to 8.1

Oops! I saw no reply to yur query. Sorry, I haven't done roll back ever.

Not comfortable with Windows 10??

Krrish  B)

Please check it's not a generic key. Used a key program and realised it was just giving me a generic key

Your right it's a generic key. :(

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I get what your thinking, but people still get concerned about privacy issues that are actually necessary for a service to work properly...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I get what your thinking, but people still get concerned about privacy issues that are actually necessary for a service to work properly...

I understand that and fully respect that. And I am happy that people are aware.  My problem is not that, it is some people are wearing thin foil hat and being super vocal about it, like it is the end of the world, and miss interpret the privacy policy.

So I am trying to make these people realize that it isn't what they think it is. I guess that is the problem.... Companies spend a lot of money on Lawyers to write their Privacy Policy and License agreement, which makes this boring, complicated to understand set of terms of conditions. Microsoft tried something new that is getting popular these days: simplification of all terms and conditions. Microsoft has been working on it since Windows 7. I am sure Microsoft layers went trough hell to type it in a way that is simple, but yet protects the company. Sadly, because not exact technical wording is used, despite explaining why and what the company does with the data (for example: credit card information is received and stored on Microsoft server is for in app purchases or you use Microsoft services like Grove Music streaming service), it leave some to interpretation of their own way, and assume the worst.

Simplifications of terms and condition has always been greatly successful in the business world for company, despite costing them a lot more for the challenge it evolves. I recall a super long time story, I think it was HP, they reduced their contract agreement with companies for buying their computer/servers from the standard 20 page mass document of technical legal word to a simple 1-2 page thing. Since their sales went up considerably because of such. Now other big companies have done the same.

As Microsoft works on this since Windows 7, simplifying trying new layouts for making it all simple to understand, this is where, I think this is why people didn't freak out with Windows 8, like they are with Windows 10, despite being the same.

how can you tell ?!

Use key finder program and see if your key matches with one of the win10 generic keys.

Http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1828275-Windows-10-Generic-Product-Keys

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

What I don't like is telemetry and the ads in the OS. That and if I use oneDrive they reserve the right to hand it over to anyone. The rest I do not really mind.

What I don't like is telemetry and the ads in the OS. That and if I use oneDrive they reserve the right to hand it over to anyone. The rest I do not really mind.

Telemetry data collecting was there since XP. Nothing is there to identify you, or track you.

This is how Microsoft focuses on features that matters for most people, and cuts out feature that people don't care about.

For example, when they cut Media Center, you don't see a mass number of people complaining... very few people used it.

When Microsoft decided to improve multiple display in Windows 8, Microsoft telemetry data showed that multiple monitor setup is more common these days, and that they should improve it. It is similar to how Steam collects data on how much you play each game, and computer specs.