Tiny Silverstone SG13 build

Slam.

Hi everybody!

In March my laptop that i have been using for about 5 years now, gave up on me. Luckily I had bought a Chromecast just before that and I've been using it with my phone for the last few months.

I have been planning this build forever and now I'm finally able to make it happen. I am also a huge fan of compact computers that can pack a punch.

I will list down the parts and briefly explain why I chose them.

So I'll start with the case. It's a Silverstone Sugo SG13-Q, the one with a solid front panel. It's portable, looks great and can fit a powerful system inside.

For the processor I have chosen an Intel core i5 4690k. I'm not going to overclock it at the beginning, but I like the idea that i could do it later.

The motherboard will be a Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI. One of the cheapest Z97 ITX boards around here. Supports overclocking and has all the features I need.

Graphics card, an EVGA 970 SSC. I want to max out games at 1080p and I believe this card will do it quite well.

Nothing too special for RAM. Just one 8GB stick of Kingston's HyperX Fury. Can you believe the 1866MHz version is cheaper than the 1600MHz?

For storage I'm going with a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo and a 1TB WD Black combo. Fast SSD speeds and the capacity of a HDD, that's how it should be.

And powering it all will be a Silverstone SFX-L 500W power supply. It is small, but still has a 120mm fan to keep it cool and quiet. It also has fully modular, short cables.

Updates:

Update #1 - First things first

Update #2 - The unboxing

Update #3 - Testing hardware

Update #4 - Better late than never

I'm here just for the photos.

Update #1 - First things first

I already have the first two parts waiting :)

sJqm4F7h.jpg

I got extremely lucky when I was browsing the webstore. I guess there was a mistake of some sort and the price of the 250 gig SSD was just 82,38 euros.

Of course I didn't wait around and ordered it immediately. Right after paying for it I went to check if the price was still the same and it was removed from the site completely  :P

Everything else should arrive tomorrow and I have yet to order the HDD and a case fan.

Next Update ->

I'm following! Always like small and powerfull builds!

| GPU: MSI GTX 970 | CPU: Intel i5 4460 | PSU: Sharkoon 500Watt 80-plus semi-modular | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 2x4GB |

what cpu cooler will you be using? :)

I will use the stock cooler for now. I might upgrade to something better but not in the near future.

Eh as you already have a SSD WD black drive is kinda pointless they're also loud af.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Eh as you already have a SSD WD black drive is kinda pointless they're also loud af.

Are they that loud? I bought a SSD and a WD Green since the WD green is the most quiet drive of the bunch I believe. 

| GPU: MSI GTX 970 | CPU: Intel i5 4460 | PSU: Sharkoon 500Watt 80-plus semi-modular | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 2x4GB |

Update #2 - The Unboxing

The parts are in and I have ordered the case fan with the HDD.

I hope they arrive soon  ^_^

CmWXNeWl.jpg

Every package is now opened. It's always fun to unbox something you've been waiting for.

XtLkW2Ch.png

i0FOudhh.jpg

YhUdSOWh.jpg

Man, that GPU is sexy  :wub:

1m7vbkch.jpg

Now I'm going to start the test build before I put everything into the case.

See You in a bit :)

Next Update ->

Update #3 - Testing Hardware

Sorry for not posting updates in a while, I've been enjoying the only sunny days this summer.

I did get done with the test build though.

I knew it would require a lot of force but It was still really scary to push down the lever on the CPU, as this was my first time installing one.

PphJwKLh.jpg

Here is everything connected and ready to test

Spoiler

kgKWsccl.jpg

And it booted!  ^_^  ^_^

OSpy6sWl.png

Everything seems fine by me so I'll continue building it :)

Also I should get the two remaining parts tomorrow.

Thanks for tuning in, see You next time!

• 5 months later...

Update #4 - Better late than never

Hey everyone, I'd like to apolgize for not posting anything here at all. As I finished the build, I got carried away with school and everything else, I kind of forgot about this thread and wasn't following the forums overall. (still watched linus's videos :P )

The two missing parts from the last post were the hard drive and case fan.

oJarcKuh.jpg

I'm really pleased with the fan as it is pretty quiet. The hard drive though isn't as quiet as I'd hoped but I can live with it.

7u1nbBm.jpg

I wish it was as clean with all of the cables.

FVNGNQNl.jpg

Thanks to the SFX-L power supply and the way I installed it, I have more than 80mm of clearance for the CPU cooler.
I might upgrade to a BeQuiet low profile cooler sometime (no promises).

Thanks for following and have a great day !

• 4 months later...

Update #5 - Upgrades!

Hi all!

I finally got tired of the rattling sound that the stock cooler's fan made, so I decided to get a better cooler. I bought the Bequiet Shadow Rock LP that I mentioned in a previous post. It's fairly inexpensive and fits in the case :) . Also since the prices of DDR3 memory have dropped a lot, I got a second stick of RAM as well. I'd have to remove the cooler again to upgrade RAM later.

4YScHohl.jpg

Pk0J5x0l.jpg

Installing the cooler was pretty easy. It was much harder to decide which way I wanted to mount it.

KYXUfQ1l.jpg

According to the cooler and memory documentation it wasn't supposed to fit that way, but it did and I'm glad it did. This way the fan has much more room to get fresh air underneath the power supply.

fRUsz2ul.jpg

The stock cooler looks like a joke compared to this one :D 

occXGtel.jpg

It was actually quite a close fit!

L5IsWyUl.jpg

Here's the completed build. I did my best to route the cables nicely, but there's not much room to work with.

I also made some custom dust filters. I know it's not the most elegant solution, but the shipping of DEMCIflex filters is way too expensive and you can't see them from the outside anyways.

PaGVpPSl.jpg

ZPdcTVS.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed this build log and to finish this off, here's a picture of the SG13 with my cat in the background :D

• 2 years later...

Hi, I want to say thank you for making a detailed log of your build. I'm building a mini ITX PC for my dad soon and there was some missing info that this post finally helped to clear out.

We ordered an SG13-B, a SF450 SFX Corsair PSU, Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb RAM and a Shadow Rock LP.

When we ordered I was confident everything was gonna fit, but I started to doubt specifically on the CPU cooler and the PSU, was it gonna fit at all? I googled EVERYWHERE, nothing but vague info and definitely no pics of anything. This is the first post that I found that has all the info I needed.

We have the same case, the same 34mm tall RAM, the same SFX PSU form factor and the same cooler. So now I'm 100% confident my build is going to have absolutely zero problems. Thank you again.

Before I go, I just have a small confusion. The Shadow Rock LP is claimed to be 75mm in height (check the attached file), and in your picture showing height between MOBO and PSU, you can clearly see it's 85mm tall. How on earth does the cooler have only like a 2mm gap with the PSU? Hope it makes sense.

?

firefox_2018-11-20_15-54-15.png

If you can find a suitable slim fan to go on that cooler, I think it'd help airflow. 

Having said that, the way the cooler squeezes in and snakes over the ram is appealing in its own way!! XD 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷