Hifiman HE-500 orthodynamic headphones

t0wer

Last headphone in my possession.

and the pics are all terrible, I couldn't find a place with decent lighting.

IMAG0078_zps5375d5fd.jpg

Build

I've heard the accessories have been changed a few times, but mine came with a hard case, accessory pouch, cable(silver?), and 2 sets of earpads. 1 leather set, 1 velour set.

IMAG0080_zps11fbcfa3.jpg

The cable is terrible, it's too stiff, and causes terrible noise if bumped or if it rubs against my chair or desk.

fortunately I know how to solder and they Included an extra set of connectors. I just made a cable with some cheapo radioshack speaker wire, it drastically reduced the noise, and it's more flexible.

IMAG0079_zps4f93f233.jpg

Would have really liked a different type of connector. The extra set they included are a PITA to solder. I've been soldering for years, but I'm not extremely happy with my work. It's just a weird connector and hard to get everything right.

I'm worried the cans will crack and the connector will break off if they are dropped.

IMAG0084_zps3b353398.jpg

The earpads have 4 clips that just sit under a lip on the can. I've been worried about breaking them. I don't think they expected the earpads to be switched often.

The pads have pretty stiff foam and may require some breaking in before they fit really comfortably. I've read the earpads change the sound, but I didn't really notice it much when I was playing with the pads. I think it's just more head-fi exaggerations.

IMAG0081_zpsa8a3bc99.jpg

I would have preferred more padding on the headband, these are the first headphone I've had that I have to adjust ever few hours because of headband pain.

that being said, it's much better than ear pain, as I usually have to take the headphones off to fix that.

No complaints about the hinges or adjustment, they all feel pretty good and stiff.

Sound

Innerfidelity graphs are here

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE500.pdf

First thing I noticed when i put them on  was the extremely low bass extension.

I haven't heard anything like it before.

Everything just seems spot on with these; vocals, guitars, brass, drums

I thought the srh840s had slightly strong bass, and looking at the innerfidelity graphs

the mids and highs were slightly recessed, the HE-500 looks similar but the dips in the mids and highs are smaller.

There's really nothing I can complain about sound quality wise, and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

IMAG0086_zpsa33f11f6.jpg

Final Thoughts

Looking at the price and sound differences between the srh840's and these, I don't feel it would be worth upgrading from  the HE-500's

and with their high price I don't feel they would be worth it for the average consumer, but if you feel like splurging and want some nice headphones, I haven't heard anything better.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

er.

What are you powering these with and listening through?

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

What are you powering these with and listening through?

can you stick that in spoilers? thats a huge post to quote.

i use my m^3 and either xindac dac 5 or my ibasso d4.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

• 2 weeks later...