HEX GEAR R40 Engineering station - Final pics on page 5

p0Pe
Whats up guys!

Time to start a new log! 

So, as many of you know, I started my own company a year ago with A buddy, which we named HEX GEAR. Since I do all of the 3D work on these cases, I naturally need a quite powerfull workstation, and I of course wanted that workstation to be in one of our R40 cases.

The system will be very compact, and powered by the following components:

•  

• HEX GEAR R40 case with custom frosted red accent pack

• Gigabyte Gaming 5m x99 micro atx motherboard

• Intel Core i7-5960x Extreme

• 32 gb corsair dominator platinum 2666 MHZ DDR4 ram

• 2 x Geforce GTX 980 TI

• 6 tb Western Digital Red nas drive

• 240 gb Corsair Neutron GTX (subject to change)

• Corsair HX1000i

All cables will be custom made with teleios sleeving from E22 so that they are just the length they need to be.

Watercooling parts will be from EK and Bitspower, and will be shown soon!

A big thanks goes out to Corsair, Bitspower, EK water blocks and Nvidia for helping me with components for this build! As this build will be my primary workstation, I wanted some of the absolute best components you could get. Nothing worse than waiting for minesweeper to load

V6A28ah.jpg

The case is a standard R40 with a special frosted red accent pack. I am still tinkering with what to do with this build, other than make it a super clean workstation build. I will most likely need to swap out components now and again, so no crazy complicated interconnect block like I normally do (SORRY!)

qmOlO80.jpg

a8tkoLu.jpg

CORES! All them cores:D As I will do a LOT of cpu heavy stuff on this build, there really was no other choice than the 5960x. I simply NEED the raw power of this thing.

sLS5dKI.jpg

Vesdi32.jpg

Main OS ssd, and storage drive. I will most likely swap the ssd out for a bigger one, or maybe two bigger for raid. 240 is a bit small for me.

rv3rrRh.jpg

I swapped out the normal rubber feets on our hard feet kit with some mnpctech delrin feets I had lying around.

sbCGTKo.jpg

Corsair was nice enough to send over some goodies for the build, including ram. I have maxed out 16 gb before, so I really need 32 gb for this.

tOn4WXf.jpg

PNdqDxS.jpg

hn464ZU.jpg

fwntquy.jpg

zpHGeit.jpg

They are lovely them platinums. I know some of you might think they are overused, but I really like the design!

WgoMDnu.jpg

s0mj6LT.jpg

3DUMSLz.jpg

yGh57aN.jpg

3A6WFVb.jpg

Fi3M6TG.jpg

3vuQwqX.jpg

K3Pd8Sc.jpg

Nvidia was kind enough to also help me out on this project. Two 980 TI cards will power whatever gaming needs I should have for the next foreseeable future. They will also handle them self very well in most 3D programs, so I do not really have the need for a quadro card.

e3mnxQE.jpg

Now, since I like to make things clean, that means that I also enjoy making custom cables. 

qNE5dCv.jpg

I cheated a bit, and already cut the cables to somewhat length, and crimped some of them. I made cables for two graphic cards, 8 pin EPS and the 24 pin cpu here. Still misses the sata cables.

ZZtNkOE.jpg

The sleeving I will use for this build. Teleios fuzion red/black. I wanted to use this in a build ever since Nate sent me a sample of it a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

pJ9frdw.jpg

A simple trick when doing cables - precrimp your connectors. It makes it SO much easier to get them onto the actual cable.

cB5FcUi.jpg

Here you see the difference between a precrimped pin, and a stock one. The precrimping really helps hold on to the wire when doing the final crimp.

ZaPnXco.jpg

So no more cursing because the pins falls off your cable before you can get them onto the actual crimper!

vZJikba.jpg

Nice and easy, every time.

tk6W4Lg.jpg

That was it for me for now. Next up is watercooling and more crimping / sleeving! And of course some more pictures of the case itself :D

Thank you for watching :)

Wow! But with a budget surely you could be more original than black and red (It looks good but...)

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/VLRose I like anime, I'm missing at least 50 off this list.

R9 390, i5 6400, 8GB Ram

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) And no hard drives  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

•  

Wow! But with a budget surely you could be more original than black and red (It looks good but...)

Ouch.

Well done, it looks great!

Thanks! The interesting stuff is what will come :D

That case is beautiful!

Nice job. I think the red and black blend in nicely and it actually ties in the mobo perfectly too.

Whuh. The creator getting busy on his own creation - there's something oddly intriguing about that.

My next system is going in one of your R40 cases, for sure. :)

Glæder mig til at se hvad du finder på.

c u r r e n t  /  ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA  /  I7-12700K  /  2080TI  /  32GB DDR5  /  LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC

Z170 STINGER  /  6700K  /  TITAN X  /  32GB DDR4  /  NZXT MANTA  /  j u i c e b o x  build log

nohasslemods 

That case is beautiful!

Nice job. I think the red and black blend in nicely and it actually ties in the mobo perfectly too.

Thanks man! I also really like the combo for this build. I normally do black/white builds, but wanted to try something different for this one.

Whuh. The creator getting busy on his own creation - there's something oddly intriguing about that.

My next system is going in one of your R40 cases, for sure. :)

Glæder mig til at se hvad du finder på.

Haha yeah, it is actually suprisingly hard to mod a case you already find almost perfect. Should be fun though! Lots of possibilities. 

Sorry, I worded that harshly. As much as I love builds like these I can't see why black and red is used so much when there are better schemes. But... This is one of the best b/r builds on the forum so good luck.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/VLRose I like anime, I'm missing at least 50 off this list.

R9 390, i5 6400, 8GB Ram

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) And no hard drives  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

•  

Sorry, I worded that harshly. As much as I love builds like these I can't see why black and red is used so much when there are better schemes. But... This is one of the best b/r builds on the forum so good luck.

I think it is a lot about personal taste. I have never done a red/black build before, and really wanted to use the red/black fusion sleeving. So for me, it will be an original build:P

Aaaaand some watercooling parts!

I hope you are not boored with these products pictures, but I am still messing around in the new photo studio I build, and what better way to practice than on parts!

wUtTGi8.jpg

The main parts from EK

JsCxnyu.jpg

Still not sure if I will use the red pastel coolant. And I also still need to get some fans. I am quite sure I will go with the EK vardar fans again, as I am quite happy with the subtle design of those.

CN0Vpd6.jpg

I will be going for the D5 xres combo again. One of my personal favorits. Lovely compact little thing with heaps of performance. The only thing that bugs me about this, is that you need to use the extender, as one of the ports are "sunk" into the top, and are not wide enough for a standard hardtube fitting -_-

Q9xtRle.jpg

Dual titan x blocks. These will fit the 980 TI´s, but it irritates me a bit that it still says titan x on the blocks... Its the small things, but hey, I think I will survive.

ReqzfLX.jpg

The 3 blocks that will go into the system. I will not cool the RAM this time. It would look cool, but is not really needed, and as said before, parts will be flying in and out of this thing.

ZfMGSkm.jpg

Big fan of the dedicated block for the X99 platform. Makes it just a tad cleaner.

oDG4wU4.jpg

Aaaaand backplates! Since the 980 TI´s does not come with any form of stock backplates (I really liked the backplate on the 980´s :( ) I will be putting two of these on. 

More stuff is on the way! Just need to get clear of those pesky danish custom services -___-

aaaaaannnd subbed

Welcome aboard :)

Not for this build, but I got two 980 ti strix cards in for another build, and wanted to see how big they where compared to the reference cards, as I have never used anything else than reference cards, and damn...

orqqV6h.jpg

Quite a bit bigger:D

Welcome aboard :)

Not for this build, but I got two 980 ti strix cards in for another build, and wanted to see how big they where compared to the reference cards, as I have never used anything else than reference cards, and damn...

orqqV6h.jpg

Quite a bit bigger:D

Would you mind directing me to your money tree please? Thanks! In all seriousness, this build looks awesome! Do you know how you're going to mod that sli bridge so it's not green? I'd assume it's painted like the LED on the reference Nvidia coolers. Can't wait to see what's next!

ASU

@p0Pe at it again. :) The case look reeeeeally sexy and I thought red and black is over used. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

This is literally Bae.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

Would you mind directing me to your money tree please? Thanks! In all seriousness, this build looks awesome! Do you know how you're going to mod that sli bridge so it's not green? I'd assume it's painted like the LED on the reference Nvidia coolers. Can't wait to see what's next!

Still tinkering with how to do the SLI bridge. Its injection molded plastic like the geforce logo´s on the cards yes, and already had it apart. Might make an entirely new one in the hex gear logo, but I am not sure yet.

@p0Pe at it again. :) The case look reeeeeally sexy and I thought red and black is over used. :)

Thanks Frankie!!

This is literally Bae.

Hah, thank you. Should be baetter when finished!

Subbed. I like this case.

Thanks man! I am glad you do. Especially since I designed it:D

Time for another small update while I mess around with the 3D files for whats to come!

I am still trying to learn how to take better pictures with the black background. Getting there! Light is key. Taking pictures on a white background is super easy compared to this -_-

R0nJYFO.jpg

Got some fans in for the project. I really like the clean looks of these fans. It was either those, or the noctua industrialppc ones.

RR15ql8.jpg

Used these in a previous rig, and they are super easy to sleeve, as you can get heatshrink all the way into the motor.

ccyfvmj.jpg

Also got myself an aquaero 5 lt to control the fans, and lighting. I will connect all 5 fans to the pvm controller on the board, so that all fans will spin at the same RPM.

uzel0gJ.jpg

Dat ass! 

fE4Q6Vy.jpg

Also got my carepackage from Bitspower! Lots of lots of fittings! Still tinkering with exactly how to do the loop, but its minor things I need to figure out. I might actually try and see if it would look better to bend the tubing instead of using 90 degree fittings.

kH7WfO8.jpg

IMO the best fittings for hard tubing out there.

oBgQKsc.jpg

Looking mighty fine on the x99 supremacy block:D

SXOnHAD.jpg

The side no one will see when mounted. 

97ZuKxo.jpg

And on a cellphone because... erm... yeah..

ToZsOjY.jpg

25fXLDK.jpg

The current plan is to use quite a few of these. But we will see if I go ahead and change my mind.

UA9ar2C.jpg

Oh, and remember me saying that I did not want to do anything stupidly complicated because this would be my workstation build, and so on? Yeah.. that did not last long.

• 1 month later...
Finally getting a bit more done on this one!

Will be machining a little something something this weekend, but until then, I am working on the cable plate that will connect all the cables together.

Already mounted the 24 pin cable in it, and took a few makro shots of it. I will get working on passing the rest of the cables trough over the next few days, but as I have to sleeve them as well, it takes a fair bit of time.

Nyho5M0.jpg

G1edAxF.jpg

XamM2TW.jpg

rdjN798.jpg

ZSXqtGY.jpg

More coming soon! This has to be ready for the biggest lan event in Denmark in 20 days:D

This looks like the finished product will be amazing. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

Your posts give me a slight need to steal CNC machine somewhere. :D

I know that feeling!

yups.  ;)

:D

This looks like the finished product will be amazing. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

I hope you like this then:

Finally got around to taking the case apart, and actually mounting this part.

This was made easy since I had a version 1 that was slightly wrong cut I could use as a template.

OOB7Qtx.jpg

The V1 that I used as template for the drilling.

OwIkGkM.jpg

Look at that fit:D It litterally snaps in place!

Mhga2U8.jpg

Tools I will be using.

HdcnPna.jpg

used a drill to mark up where the holes needed to be.

INqU35X.jpg

after that, I used this thing to punch a small hole in the plate.

lAP0vpe.jpg

This does so that the drill does not fly off to one of the sides when drilling.

LxjW3Se.jpg

Making a mess is something I am very good at.

gR6LeXe.jpg

All mounted, and all cables put in to see if the length was somewhat correct.

RFzmhUa.jpg

Starting to really like this one:D

u1obmrY.jpg

The cables still needs to be adjusted to sit completely perfect, but I am getting there.

CmEXKRb.jpg

The 8 pin also needs a bit of work still.

ogPM2yb.jpg

Rear side. I will most likely end up getting a second 6 tb drive and a bigger SSD.

En3n7wl.jpg

I do not think I need to use the cable cover plate for this build:D

Next up, milling a huge block of acrylic!

Daaamn, those cables look so clean and sexy. You always come up with something interesting. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

DAMN...!!

Uumn.. Sorry. I don't know how to describe your build sir.

DAAAMMNNN...!!

Uumm.. Sorry again