YouTube to remove free videos if creators don't publish them to the subscription based platform too.

Wauthar

YouTube wants to get paid in a new way, and Chief Susan Wojcicki is pushing ahead despite questions about the plan.

Wojcicki, a veteran of Google advertising who took the reins at YouTube in early 2014,announced an ad-free, subscription version of the streaming video service almost a year ago.  Since then, critics have questioned aspects of the effort, especially a requirement that content owners make their videos available for both the ad-supported and paid versions.

If some partners hold out, YouTube is willing to drop their videos from both versions of its platform, Wojcicki said. She hopes that doesn’t happen but wants to avoid a situation where viewers who pay for an ad-free YouTube end up with a smaller selection of videos.

“It’s important that there is parity, meaning that all content that was on the ad-supported service is available for our users on subscription,” Wojcicki said. “It doesn’t make sense from a user perspective to pay and then get less.”

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/07/24/youtube-chief-pushes-ahead-with-subscriptions-despite-questions/

Youtube seems to be pushing its subscription based version really hard now. If partners don't agree to show their videos on the paid side, they face to have their videos removed from the side we all know.

I don't really know how to feel about this, surely it wouldn't be smart to launch a paid platform with less videos than the free one has, but to remove everything when creators don't comply seems a bit rigorous to me.

I'd like to hear other's opinions about it.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

One rule for the rich one rule for the poor...

Linus advocating the broken models he criticised on WAN show with vessel too

Gah! He is a mug!

Well what are they gonna do if no one does? RIOT RIOT RIOT.

Honestly if only a few did they can't shut down all of YouTube.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Well what are they gonna do if no one does? RIOT RIOT RIOT.

Honestly if only a few did they can't shut down all of YouTube.

The article does state that "90% of the partners has already signed". I don't know how many people are involved, but those 10% can be a very large crowd.

So, they're going to remove videos all together if the don't go over to the subscription side, to prevent a lack of content for the subscription side? 

That's seems like a complete marketing fuck-up in my eyes... 

So, they're going to remove videos all together if the don't go over to the subscription side, to prevent a lack of content for the subscription side? 

That's seems like a complete marketing fuck-up in my eyes... 

If you're paying for something (an ad-less YouTube in this case), you'd want to see all videos ad free, no? 

I can understand this, but removing the ones that don't agree to the new policy seems indeed like YouTube (or Google) is slamming its fist down.

why don't they just install a sort of extension that block ads on your browser for the users that pay the subscription (youtube subs extension which would be a reskin of adblock ^^)

This is one of the reasons why building yourself on anothers land is risky.  Now Google can threaten to take away peoples livelihoods if they don't comply.  They can alter the deal.

If they're talking about mobile then I don't see a problem. I completely see why they would remove free videos on the subscription service with no ad's and offline viewing (which is what I assume they're talking about) 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

why don't they just install a sort of extension that block ads on your browser for the users that pay the subscription (youtube subs extension which would be a reskin of adblock ^^)

There's a whole different platform that has to be constructed around how creators get paid when there aren't ads being served.

Currently, the advertisers pay both google and the creator.

Just blocking the ads would eliminate the revenue without passing on the subscription pricing to the creators.

Creators also have to have new contracts for this kind of deal.

Google is able to do so much, yet it sounds like they can't just bring over the free versions of the video to the subscription based version? I thought you were suppose to work hard to push your new model, not get content creators to do extra work so that your new model can thrive. Hell, they got self driving cars, and they can't get their systems to bring over the free version content to the subscription version content. It doesn't make sense that content creators have to do your work...

Google is able to do so much, yet it sounds like they can't just bring over the free versions of the video to the subscription based version? I thought you were suppose to work hard to push your new model, not get content creators to do extra work so that your new model can thrive. Hell, they got self driving cars, and they can't get their systems to bring over the free version content to the subscription version content. It doesn't make sense that content creators have to do your work...

Again, there have to be contracts signed and consent given by the creators to do that.

This is a legal issue, not one of what Google is or isn't willing to do.

I can see issues with this. But it really depends on how much money the creator gets for the subscription views. If he gets a lot less money I can see how it is a poor deal for them 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Google doesn't understand how the internet works. (I thought I would never say that). We are just using Google when Google thinks it's using us. We do it to every platform ever, we will just move, it's quite easy.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Again, there have to be contracts signed and consent given by the creators to do that.

This is a legal issue, not one of what Google is or isn't willing to do.

They would just have to update the user agreement to state that uploaders must allow Youtube to put their content on both versions. Then you either agree to those terms or decline and can't use it (which is exactly what is posted here). That easily covers the consent of all publishers. Then, there could be contracts signed beyond that. The quote makes it sound like content creators have to publish it on both versions, but I suppose youtube will probably share the content between versions.

Oh hey, I see it now.

But that doesn't specifically state that non-cooperating creators might have their videos removed.

if you read the Bloomberg source, it's very much implied

Well somebody is gonna get fired for making these poor decissions ... I hope it's Wojcicki ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Google doesn't understand how the internet works. (I thought I would never say that). We are just using Google when Google thinks it's using us. We do it to every platform ever, we will just move, it's quite easy.

We can only hope..

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nice to see youtube's popularity already went right to their fucking insane, money craving heads.

-------

Current Rig

-------

am i missing something......what's the problem?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Looks like YouTube wants to commit suicide

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Why are you all angry about this? It's a completely valid business model.

They aren't removing add supported content nor making exclusive content for paid costumers. Why would anyone be against this when nothing changes except for having an option to watch ad free content for a fee if you want to.

And those of you saying, "oh, google is greedy, money grabbing sobs and etc", how do you think yt should work? Maybe google should provide all the bandwidth, storage and tools from the goodness of their heart and go under within a year leaving you with the other paid services that you are against when it comes to yt. If you don't wan't to pay then don't and keep using yt as you did until now. Only problem would be if content providers were getting less money from subscribers than from views but we don't know anything about that yet.

If I am missing something please enlighten me.