Memory speeds and CPU FSB speeds

Go to solution Solved by Valandil,

have u considered getting a new laptop, that cpu you upgrading to is 7 years old.

regarding the fsb, I can't see how it can cause any issues.

it connects to the north bridge and the north bridge handles the memory side of things.

it should reduce the speed automatically if needed.

Hello.

So I'm planning to upgrade the CPU of a laptop. Right now it has a Pentium Dual-Core T2310, I'm planning to get a Core 2 Duo T8100. I did check with the service manual and release notes for BIOS updates, and it seems to be compatible. However, I have one question. Right now I have 2 DDR2 2GB SODIMMs running 667 MHz, and the CPU has a 533 MHz FSB. The T8100 has an 800 MHz FSB, would the speed change cause any problems? The BIOS has no settings for CPU and memory speeds.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

have u considered getting a new laptop, that cpu you upgrading to is 7 years old.

it connects to the north bridge and the north bridge handles the memory side of things.

it should reduce the speed automatically if needed.

it connects to the north bridge and the north bridge handles the memory side of things

Thanks.

This isn't my laptop, it's owned by a business that I am a system admin of. And they can't afford a new laptop.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.