Canadian ISPs Using Fiber Will Soon Have to Share Networks

Rune

I'm not sure I understand your post. No modern ISP uses pure copper from end to end anymore. That hasn't been the case in like a decade...

All their backbones have been Fibre for years. The connections from the backbone to the local nodes in many places are still Copper though - including those of TWC. Only DOCSIS 3.0 or VDSL connections (Also known as FTTN - Fibre to the Node/Neighbourhood) have Fibre from the backbone to the node.

And then a true fibre connection - FTTH (Fibre to the Home) has fibre from the backbone all the way to your door.

20 years ago though, the entire network would have been copper.

that was what i was implying. Here in central NY, twc runs fiber from the headend, to the  hub, to the node, to the pole. Then they run coax to the house.  I dont mind coax to the house. WIth the climate here its just more practical. I know fiber has come a long way, but its still not as durable, and as cheap to replace if something happends. I dont know what the cost is for a 800ft wheel of fiber is, but i guarentee you its a lot more expensive than a 800ft wheel of rg-6 coax.

that was what i was implying. Here in central NY, twc runs fiber from the headend, to the  hub, to the node, to the pole. Then they run coax to the house.  I dont mind coax to the house. WIth the climate here its just more practical. I know fiber has come a long way, but its still not as durable, and as cheap to replace if something happends. I dont know what the cost is for a 800ft wheel of fiber is, but i guarentee you its a lot more expensive than a 800ft wheel of rg-6 coax.

Of course.

However, Fibre from the backend to the node is only common in big cities, and even then, its adoption still varies significantly.

In my neighbourhood, which literally has a large subdivision and a half dozen 20 story apartment buildings on one street alone, and is across the street from a mall, only just got FTTN DOCSIS 3.0 last year from Rogers.

Bell, the DSL provider in the city, still doesn't have FTTN into my neighbourhood.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Praise the dark Lord

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers