[Mini-News] Apple Giving Away Solo2 to Students Who Buy a Mac

Suika

Beats have gotten better. The people who say Beats suck are the same people who think the ATH M50s are a gift from God. 

M50s lol. 

You want real reference quality, use those damn Sonys that studios actually employ... 

JetDrive's still only go up to early 2013 rMBP's -- they don't cover the late 2013 rMBPs (the first iteration to use PCIE ssds). 

Yeah. You're absolutely right. I missed out that bit. I have the late 2013 rmbp myself. The only realistic option for one to add more storage space w/o using external drive is to get the Jetdrive lite.

Yeah. You're absolutely right. I missed out that bit. I have the late 2013 rmbp myself. The only realistic option for one to add more storage space w/o using external drive is to get the Jetdrive lite.

Is there a difference between the Lite and an ordinary SDXC card (other than the Lite not protruding as much)?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Is there a difference between the Lite and an ordinary SDXC card (other than the Lite not protruding as much)?

From my testing, not much. Just the slim nature might appeal if you intend on keeping the thing shoved in at all times. I use mine as a very handy Photoshop Scratch Disk, since I don't need raw speed when working with astrophotography on the go, so it comes in handy to have 128GB of random space for PS to populate its temporary files with. 

Beats have gotten better. The people who say Beats suck are the same people who think the ATH M50s are a gift from God. 

They have gotten a bit better but overall they still sound like trash for the money.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Not really other than it doesn't protrude as much as a normal sd card. You can get a comparable sd card for less but if you plan on just expanding the internal storage space, the jetdrive lite is a good option.

They have gotten a bit better but overall they still sound like trash for the money.

Well, that depends. Beats aren't entirely bad, they do do a pretty good job at producing large amounts of bass -- which is all a lot of people care about. And those people, in their own way, aren't wrong -- very bass-y music can be a lot of fun to listen to.

Not really other than it doesn't protrude as much as a normal sd card. You can get a comparable sd card for less but if you plan on just expanding the internal storage space, the jetdrive lite is a good option.

That's what I thought. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

And for comparison

I honestly don't care about those reviews, I have listened to them myself and compared them to a lot of other headphones in the same price range. They are not good.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I honestly don't care about those reviews, I have listened to them myself and compared them to a lot of other headphones in the same price range. They are not good.

To you. Tyll and other high profile audiophiles have graphs and actual statistical comparisons. Not everyone likes the same sound signature but it's been proven that Beats headphones now are very high quality and have a reasonably balanced sound. You might not like Beats, but they are certainly not trash at that price point. 

To you. Tyll and other high profile audiophiles have graphs and actual statistical comparisons. Not everyone likes the same sound signature but it's been proven that Beats headphones now are very high quality and have a reasonably balanced sound. You might not like Beats, but they are certainly not trash at that price point. 

You want tp know something really amusing? 

Back during the Monster ownership days, they came out with the Turbine series of in ear headphones. People wrote them off as "meh, its Monster, its probably even worse". The truth? The Turbines, especially the Coppers, were rated on the exact same level as their Shure counterparts, IIRC the Coppers were actually better than the SE 530s. 

Yea, Monster. That company. Their Turbine lineup was top grade stuff and priced very well. But did people give them any consideration? Nope. They just assume "overpriced and stupid". 

Would you like some chips with that salt? 

yup thx ^^ happened to a friend last year it was really sad

edit: edited my original post it was really poorly writen

Do people enjoy spreading FUD? 

They are PCIe blade SSDs. You can remove as you wish. Barring the 2014/2015 Pros which have newer SSDs that no one currently makes apart from OWC who should be stocking them soon. 

So much salt in this thread over a promotion. 

sorry if I writed my post poorly I meant to say that it was kinda hard to recover the file on the go and that it's generally a bad thing it happened to my friend last year. 

The ssd is replaceable. Only the ram is soldered onto the motherboard. Don't go spreading lies.

sorry my post was writen poorly I meant to say that it was kinda hard to recover data from it. I'm not looking to spread lie and sorry if you took it that

way

sorry my post was writen poorly I meant to say that it was kinda hard to recover data from it. I'm not looking to spread lie and sorry if you took it that

way

That's an issue with SSDs in general, not specifically the one used by Apple. The reason SSDs are terrible for any backup-use (aside from the cost) is the fact that retrieving data off a damaged/dying SSD is very difficult -- while HDDs tend to give you a warning that they're going to fail, SSDs will just one day stop working (at which point you're more than likely never going to see the data that was stored on it ever again). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Financially this is awesome, as a user experience, it's terrible.

Sell the beats with your Mac lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Sweet, buy a shit computer and get a pair of shit headphones!

Anyways, if I did this, I'd buy a MacBook for programming and sell the beats :3

It's not a shit computer (unless it's just the new Macbook). It just doesn't have flagship graphics. It still has the best SSDs (Samsung XP941s in my 2014 MBPr, and the refreshed version has the SM951)), the best mobile CPU (4980HQ at 2.8/4 GHz with Iris Pro 5200) which no one else uses yet from what I've been able to find, and now it has a beefier graphics card than the 750M that's in the model I bought.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It's not a shit computer (unless it's just the new Macbook). It just doesn't have flagship graphics. It still has the best SSDs (Samsung XP941s in my 2014 MBPr, and the refreshed version has the SM951)), the best mobile CPU (4980HQ at 2.8/4 GHz with Iris Pro 5200) which no one else uses yet from what I've been able to find, and now it has a beefier graphics card than the 750M that's in the model I bought.

Some people don't understand that computers are used for more than just gaming. 

Some people don't understand that computers are used for more than just gaming. 

Also comparing macbook lineups to other windows laptop specs to specs to determine their 'worthiness' or 'value for money'.

Also comparing macbook lineups to other windows laptop specs to specs to determine their 'worthiness' or 'value for money'.

When you can run Windows on a Mac anyway, it can make sense, but Macs tend to get used specifically for art and movie making. Music is a fickle industry that has moved between Windows and Mac practically by the year.

Macs still offer bar none the best track pad there is. Macs offer the same or RAM configurations (I have 32GB in mine actually even though the option's disappeared since I bought last July). Macs offer the best single tier storage options. Macs have beautiful IPS displays with very little backlight bleeding and a very big color gamut that is used by professionals. Macs offer the best of Intel's mobile lineup of CPUs/SOCs. Macs offer the best cooling system in their weight and form factor. The only weaknesses Macs have are price, GPU power for the price point, supporting less than 3 USB ports, and not having full-size up&down arrow keys. Other than that it's pretty tough to find weaknesses

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Sweet, buy a shit computer and get a pair of shit headphones!

Anyways, if I did this, I'd buy a MacBook for programming and sell the beats :3

And it's shit because ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

When you can run Windows on a Mac anyway, it can make sense, but Macs tend to get used specifically for art and movie making. Music is a fickle industry that has moved between Windows and Mac practically by the year.

Macs still offer bar none the best track pad there is. Macs offer the same or RAM configurations (I have 32GB in mine actually even though the option's disappeared since I bought last July). Macs offer the best single tier storage options. Macs have beautiful IPS displays with very little backlight bleeding and a very big color gamut that is used by professionals. Macs offer the best of Intel's mobile lineup of CPUs/SOCs. Macs offer the best cooling system in their weight and form factor. The only weaknesses Macs have are price, GPU power for the price point, supporting less than 3 USB ports, and not having full-size up&down arrow keys. Other than that it's pretty tough to find weaknesses

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I own one myself (late 2013 rmbp). The trackpad alone is pure sex LOL. I do mostly autocad, 3D and photoshop work with it and coming from a long time Windows user, after almost a year using the rmbp, I don't think I'll ever regret getting one. I've even compared it personally to the excellent top spec XPS 15 at the time of buying and rmbp is still by far the better laptop. I do wish I can get ram larger than 16gb but still good enough to me for now. I don't even use Windows anymore because the workspace flow in osx + excellent hardware combo is just too good. Dedicated gpu for when you need it (switching graphics is well done), the best intel mobile cpu and still getting battery life close to 9 hours. I wish people will look to a mac more than just an overpriced branded hipster laptop. Well maybe for the new Macbook anyway which I still think is priced way too much for what it is amongst other macbook lineups.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I own one myself (late 2013 rmbp). The trackpad alone is pure sex LOL. I do mostly autocad, 3D and photoshop work with it and coming from a long time Windows user, after almost a year using the rmbp, I don't think I'll ever regret getting one. I've even compared it personally to the excellent top spec XPS 15 at the time of buying and rmbp is still by far the better laptop. I do wish I can get ram larger than 16gb but still good enough to me for now. I don't even use Windows anymore because the workspace flow in osx + excellent hardware combo is just too good. Dedicated gpu for when you need it (switching graphics is well done), the best intel mobile cpu and still getting battery life close to 9 hours. I wish people will look to a mac more than just an overpriced branded hipster laptop. Well maybe for the new Macbook anyway which I still think is priced way too much for what it is amongst other macbook lineups.

If Apple ever starts allowing external GPUs for gaming through Windows through Bootcamp, there will literally only be stylistic and price downsides left. Yeah, it's not great for gaming, but for everything else, it's pretty damn good.

If Apple ever starts allowing external GPUs for gaming through Windows through Bootcamp, there will literally only be stylistic and price downsides left. Yeah, it's not great for gaming, but for everything else, it's pretty damn good.

It has been done though but not officially. I've seen a forum member here who managed to do that with a macbook, external thunderbolt gpu dock and a gtx 980 iinm. I can still play ETS2 on the 750m just fine but yeah so much potential can be gain from those dual thunderbolt 2. I doubt Apple will ever do anything extra for Windows on bootcamp side. They still have no driver fix for the trackpad driver which makes gestures and scrolling a pita in Windows.