[Mini-News] Apple Giving Away Solo2 to Students Who Buy a Mac

Suika

3bccca6f49efe684d758d5b8ad7acdf7.png

(click for sauce)

By mini news, I mean the article is only two paragraphs long.

So if buying a Mac wasn't hipster enough for college students, getting a free pair of Beats Solo2s will increase the hipsterness 10-fold. Or whatever. If you buy a qualifying Apple computer, you'll get a free pair of Solo2s, which ordinarily sell for $200. Not that I recommend Beats, but free expensive headphones for buying a laptop you were already going to get? Why not?

Apple's annual back to school promotion is here, and it's not a bad deal at all: the company's giving away a free pair of Beats Solo2 headphones — which usually sell for about $200 — to customers who buy a Mac through Apple's education pricing program, which the company offers to students and teachers. 

The deal applies to the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro, both stock and custom configured models and runs to the 18th of September.

If this is Apple's back-to-school deal, does this actually show how cheaply made the Beats Solo2s are? Probably.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

so by a mac and get a pair of bad headphone?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

When they start including them with Macs which sell well anyway you know they must suck.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

decent deal still

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

How about putting a Retina display on the Air and I'll buy one without asking for shitty headphones.

this too

Although I am somebody who actually likes the new macbook so there you go :P

but a retina air would be amazing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No, you get either a mac with $200 off, or a mac with $200 headphones of your choice.

Either way is a pretty good deal.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

eww

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

this too

but a retina air would be amazing

The new Macbook is an engineering marvel (assuming it still has stellar battery life like the other MacBooks are known for), but the lack of ports and the current lack of USB-C support is a turn off. I use my USB ports daily and I love MagSafe too much  :P

eww

its so nice D:

it makes no sense... but its beautiful

The new Macbook is an engineering marvel (assuming it still has stellar battery life like the other MacBooks are known for), but the lack of ports and the current lack of USB-C support is a turn off. I use my USB ports daily and I love MagSafe too much  :P

yeah it makes no sense, but I still love it

I would buy a 13" retina pro or something but if I had the money i would get the macbook too :D

it might have gotten better since apple bought it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Nice deal. And a decent pair of headphones. Before any of you scream "Beats! EW!" The solo 2s are pretty decent.

I recently got a pair of Solo 2's myself, and just comparing against the Sennehsier Amperior and V-Moda XS I have to agree with a lot of the positive comments Tyll is making about the Solo2. It is a good headphone with a bassy sound that still remains tight and articulate. The skew in the low end is not going to be for everyone, and personally I still prefer my Amperior's signature. I also find clamping force just a bit tight for my glasses. But all in all it is a good product and I think better in many ways than the V-Moda XS. Looking at some of these Youtube comments, basically it seems that some people's basic belief systems about the way the market works are being a bit shaken here. :) As Tyll and others have pointed out, increased competition can only be a good thing! - lachlan

So whose projecting now?  ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

snip

thank you. was about to say the same thing. it's not that bad tbh. just a tad overprice for what it is. I swear some people here just screams hate when they hear X brand being mentioned.

If this is Apple's back-to-school deal, does this actually show how cheaply made the Beats Solo2s are? Probably.

Not necessarily, they used to include iPod Touches with Macs -- albeit that was also used as a way to clear out old stock before the new iPod is released... 

The new Macbook is an engineering marvel (assuming it still has stellar battery life like the other MacBooks are known for), but the lack of ports and the current lack of USB-C support is a turn off. I use my USB ports daily and I love MagSafe too much   :P

In Apple's defense, a magsafe USB-C connector (as the sole connector) would be terrible unless they were able to make it a dual connector and just allow the power cable to be magnetic -- if everything had to connect magnetically then that would be a serious problem for anything that isn't power (e.g. external HDDs/peripherals that you don't want to get gently tugged on and thus disconnected mid large file transfer). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

well I understand why apple is trying to get the students to buy their products but as a student I find it horrible to see people buying apple product for studying and losing all their data after cause they can't access the ssd inside it

edit: sorry poorly writen post tried to go fast and didn't choose my word right I meant to say that it's hard to recover data and that can be a big problem especially for student I know you can replace/remove it. It happen to a friend last year and it was kinda sad hopefully we manage to recover it. 

well I understand why apple is trying to get the students to buy their products but as a student I find it horrible to see people buying apple product for studying and losing all their data after cause they can't access the ssd inside it

Wait what?

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Do people enjoy spreading FUD? 

They are PCIe blade SSDs. You can remove as you wish. Barring the 2014/2015 Pros which have newer SSDs that no one currently makes apart from OWC who should be stocking them soon. 

So much salt in this thread over a promotion. 

Would you like some chips with that salt? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The ssd is replaceable. Only the ram is soldered onto the motherboard. Don't go spreading lies.

Do people enjoy spreading FUD? 

They are PCIe blade SSDs. You can remove as you wish. Barring the 2014/2015 Pros which have newer SSDs that no one currently makes apart from OWC who should be stocking them soon. 

So much salt in this thread over a promotion. 

Don't forget Transcend JetDrive.

The ssd is replaceable. Only the ram is soldered onto the motherboard. Don't go spreading lies.

Don't forget Transcend JetDrive.

JetDrive's still only go up to early 2013 rMBP's -- they don't cover the late 2013 rMBPs (the first iteration to use PCIE ssds). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Beats solo 2's are still trash