Microsoft Q4 results - Surface selling super well, XBox doing well -- $2.1 billion loss

GoodBytes

How is Microsoft doing financially lately? Public companies such as Microsoft, issues quarterly report to cover this.

This year it is Q4 report, and Microsoft has big losses, whoever has great news at the same time.

DSCF2316.jpg

Microsoft sales of its hardware is doing very well. XBox sales were up by 27%, and as for the company Surface line product, this includes the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3 models together, it grew a massive 117%, bringing in $888 million.

Bing is also doing better, reaching a market share to 20.3% surprisingly.

While this is all good news for the company, it is sadly not profitable this quarter with a $2.1 billion loss.

Why? The company says that it is due to the $7.6 billion Nokia write down it had to do. Excluding that write down, the company brought $6.4 billion on $22.2 billion in revenue.

The company notes that its revenue from Windows OEMs dropped by 22% due to cutting off support for Windows XP, and the wait for Windows 10.

As for the smartphone division, the Lumia series, it grew 10% year over year to 8.4 million units sold, but due to the lower average selling prices it led to a revenue decline of 68%.

Source 1: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/21/9010403/microsoft-earnings-report-q4-2015

Source 2: http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/21/microsoft-q4-2015-earnings/?ncid=rss_truncated

not sure if im happy or sad for them, ill just do something for both

Hyouka_dance.gif

YAY

tumblr_nr64secfV51t7jsquo2_500.gif

shucks

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

EVERYTHING'S DOING GREAT!

Buuuut we're losing money.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

We're talking about Microsoft here, not AMD. 

#shotsfired? 

YES. Surface line doing great!

I'm very happy. I love that, this'll mean we get more of this awesome line of products!!!!1

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I'm very happy. I love that, this'll mean we get more of this awesome line of products!!!!1

i havent used a surface product myself

But a tablet that comes with a keyboard and a female USB type A connector cannot go wrong

Well yeah... They lost money from the Nokia write down. But everything is selling well.

It'll be interesting to see the next quarter once Windows 10 has been out for a few months.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Well yeah... They lost money from the Nokia write down. But everything is selling well.

It'll be interesting to see the next quarter once Windows 10 has been out for a few months.

I've managed to convince most of the people I know to reserve copies lol.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I think it's Q3, typo?

It is correct. Businesses operate on a Fiscal Year which doesn't always line up with the regular calendar year.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I want to know if their lumia department is making money or if it's in a loss state due to the nokia write down/market sales?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Super stoked for Surface Pro 4. Please be late 2015.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

I almost wished they weren't making as much so they'd lower prices on the Pro...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

We're talking about Microsoft here, not AMD. 

#shotsfired? 

AMD would be we are backed into a corner by our competitors

And we have little to no money to do anything about it. 

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

I almost wished they weren't making as much so they'd lower prices on the Pro...

they have discounted them a couple of times, right now the MS store has a discount on the pro 3 of about 150$ off on all models that have 8GB RAM, that 1150$ for the i5 with 256GB SSD, if it weren't for the fact that a replacement is coming very soon i would buy one if i could afford it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Surface Pro 4 with thunderbolt 3. Make it happen, then take my money

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

they have discounted them a couple of times, right now the MS store has a discount on the pro 3 of about 150$ off on all models that have 8GB RAM, that 1150$ for the i5 with 256GB SSD, if it weren't for the fact that a replacement is coming very soon i would buy one if i could afford it

It's still a lot for what it is, especially seeing as you still need to buy a keyboard for it

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Bing has 20.3% market share? That's a big surprise. Who uses Bing here??

The Nokia part is just stupid. How many companies has been bought and fucked up by Microsoft? $7.6 billion write down..... :ph34r:

Bing has 20.3% market share? That's a big surprise. Who uses Bing here??

The Nokia part is just stupid. How many companies has been bought and fucked up by Microsoft? $7.6 billion write down..... :ph34r:

I use Bing as my primary search engine.

Nokia was already circling the drain when Microsoft bought them so its not like its a big deal really. At least Microsoft was able to salvage employees from them, since they are still continuing to make phones. Edit: And they didn't buy the whole company, just like 90% of it. Nokia still exists as its own company.

Nokia was already circling the drain when Microsoft bought them so its not like its a big deal really. At least Microsoft was able to salvage employees from them, since they are still continuing to make phones. Edit: And they didn't buy the whole company, just like 90% of it. Nokia still exists as its own company.

Microsoft has announced it will fire another 7800 workers, most of them from the phone business. In other words, the former Nokia employees. 

Maybe I should word it better. Microsoft bought up many companies, but ended up losing big money in quite a few occasions. We're talking about billions. It's a lot even for a company as big as Microsoft.

Microsoft has announced it will fire another 7800 workers, most of them from the phone business. In other words, the former Nokia employees. 

Maybe I should word it better. Microsoft bought up many companies, but ended up losing big money in quite a few occasions. We're talking about billions. It's a lot even for a company as big as Microsoft.

Usually when this happens, it is because a lot of duplication between 2 companies merging occurs, so they need to cut it out.

In addition, you have to remember that Nokia was doing poorly before Microsoft step in. Usually when a company doesn't do well, it is because it is miss managed. Too many employees is a problem. Maybe Nokia got extra employees in the hope that a magically hot product comes out and makes it all up, or just simply miss management, who knows.

Then you have the fact that Microsoft made too much phones, which made any third party companies simply not make any of them, and that hurt the image as they initially started to make some. As it is not an Android volume selling phone to start with, it really doesn't help. Speculation state that Microsoft will only be making 3 phones from now on: Low end (which is very successful in many market, especially in India), med range, and high-end, and leave the rest for manufactures. By having manufacture making phones, Microsoft makes money from the license fees like Windows does.

Bing has 20.3% market share? That's a big surprise. Who uses Bing here?? :ph34r:

i heard its a really good search engine for a particular science branch of content

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

Sigh, it's so annoying when people accuse Microsoft of ruining Nokia.

News flash folks: If Microsoft hadn't bought Nokia Mobile Division, Nokia would not exist anymore, in any form. They'd be history. They were bleeding money worse than AMD, with shit sales, and no modern smartphone that anyone wanted. They backed the wrong worse with Symbian OS. Maybe if they had jumped on the Android bandwagon right away, they might have been in a better position - but then they'd likely just be one more meager Android hardware partner out of dozens.

At least with their purchase by Microsoft, Nokia Lumia devices stood out from the crowd. I freakin' love my Lumia 830.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)