100% Vdroop

Adaptive Enabled

Everything else on Auto.

I will post up screen shots in a bit...

10202015x491.37v1.9vc1.2vr1333_zpsghtg4j

How does this look?

What next?

Edit:

Okay I tried to run Realbench x264 and I get BSOD, the "whea" one, what is this?

Raise vcore?

Must vcore be on adaptive?

Okay I passed with these settings...

9hrs XTU CPU Stress Test

Vcore 1.37 x49

Vring 1.20 x40

Memory 1333Mhz Auto 1.5volts

100% Vdroop

Adaptive Enabled

Everything else on Auto.

I will post up screen shots in a bit...

10202015x491.37v1.9vc1.2vr1333_zpsghtg4j

How does this look?

What next?

Edit:

Okay I tried to run Realbench x264 and I get BSOD, the "whea" one, what is this?

Raise vcore?

Must vcore be on adaptive?

just because you don't pass in realbench doesn't mean your overclock is not stable. what will you be using your pc for? gaming? rendering video? if it remains stable throughout your day to day pc tasks, it's stable.

BigDay

@BigDay

Is my 4.9Ghz overclock deemed stable?

I will fiddle with it again when I have time.

All I do with my rig is game a light stuff e.g burn a few CDs web browsing.

Should I try and bring up cache now?

@BigDay

Is my 4.9Ghz overclock deemed stable?

I will fiddle with it again when I have time.

All I do with my rig is game a light stuff e.g burn a few CDs web browsing.

Should I try and bring up cache now?

if you passed an 8 hour stress test with your overclocked settings at 4.9 ghz, i would deem it stable. you can try bringing down the vcore now or you can move onto overclocking the cache ratio and vring. choose one or the other.

BigDay

if you passed an 8 hour stress test with your overclocked settings at 4.9 ghz, i would deem it stable. you can try bringing down the vcore now or you can move onto overclocking the cache ratio and vring. choose one or the other.

Do I lower Vcore by .01?

Do I lower Vcore by .01?

yes. if you passed at 1.37, you would lower it to 1.36 and re-test for 8 hours at the same core ratio (49)

BigDay

yes. if you passed at 1.37, you would lower it to 1.36 and re-test for 8 hours at the same core ratio (49)

Okay...

Once I find the lowest Vcore do I then raise cache ratio that works at 1.20volts or try to lower cache volts? Is vetting a 1:1 really worth it?

Okay...

Once I find the lowest Vcore do I then raise cache ratio that works at 1.20volts or try to lower cache volts? Is vetting a 1:1 really worth it?

once you find the most efficient vcore, you can start raising the cache ratio at a vring of 1.20v. increase the cache ratio only until you fail. once you fail, it's time to increase the vring by 0.01v. if you failed at a vring of 1.20v, increase it to 1.21v and re-test using the same cache ratio that you failed with.

in my opinion, yes, it's worth it to work towards a core and cache ratio of 1:1. try and get it as close as possible (within 100-300 mhz is good).

BigDay

• 1 month later...

I want to thank ProKoN for all of your information. I have been working on overclocking my Intel Pentium G3258 which is cooled by a Phanteks PH-TC14PE. My CPU doesn't seem to be a silicon lottery winner, but I believe I found stability at 4.4GHz @ 1.29V (65°C), 4.5GHz @ 1.38V (68°C), and 4.6GHz @ 1.48V (77°C). I prefer quiet operation, so I'm moving forward with my 4.4GHz OC.

Here are the settings I'm currently using as my daily machine:

4.4GHz @ 1.29V (65°C)

3200MHz Ring Bus @ Auto

VCCIN 1.9V

I've not considered overclocking the Ring Bus until I found ProKoN's video series, but I have tinkered with it with no success for now. It appears to be incredibly unstable at 1:1 with my testing so far. My last test was 4400MHz @ 1.29V with a 1.93V VCCIN, but my system froze during stress after 5-10 seconds.

I plan to continue increasing the VCCIN until I reach 2.0V. If I'm still unstable, then I intend to decrease the Ring Bus Ratio and perhaps the Ring Bus voltage and/or VCCIN. If I can't reach 1:1, then I hope I can settle on at least 4000MHz Ring Bus.

All that said, I wonder if I can get a little feedback. I feel like I'm following the guide pretty closely, which is quite easy because I have an MSI motherboard, but how is my progress?

I want to thank ProKoN for all of your information. I have been working on overclocking my Intel Pentium G3258 which is cooled by a Phanteks PH-TC14PE. My CPU doesn't seem to be a silicon lottery winner, but I believe I found stability at 4.4GHz @ 1.29V (65°C), 4.5GHz @ 1.38V (68°C), and 4.6GHz @ 1.48V (77°C). I prefer quiet operation, so I'm moving forward with my 4.4GHz OC.

Here are the settings I'm currently using as my daily machine:

4.4GHz @ 1.29V (65°C)

3200MHz Ring Bus @ Auto

VCCIN 1.9V

I've not considered overclocking the Ring Bus until I found ProKoN's video series, but I have tinkered with it with no success for now. It appears to be incredibly unstable at 1:1 with my testing so far. My last test was 4400MHz @ 1.29V with a 1.93V VCCIN, but my system froze during stress after 5-10 seconds.

I plan to continue increasing the VCCIN until I reach 2.0V. If I'm still unstable, then I intend to decrease the Ring Bus Ratio and perhaps the Ring Bus voltage and/or VCCIN. If I can't reach 1:1, then I hope I can settle on at least 4000MHz Ring Bus.

All that said, I wonder if I can get a little feedback. I feel like I'm following the guide pretty closely, which is quite easy because I have an MSI motherboard, but how is my progress?

try about 1.35-1.4v for ring bus, that should do it, if not, then don't worry about ring bus too much, it can help more on benchamrks than real world performance.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

try about 1.35-1.4v for ring bus, that should do it, if not, then don't worry about ring bus too much, it can help more on benchamrks than real world performance.

That's what I've read as well, but I had decided to follow ProKoN's guide regardless. In fact, I read Overclock.net claimed Ring Bus doesn't matter much at all.

Thanks for the advice, although I'd prefer to stay below 1.3V. I'll probably dial down the Ring Bus to 4200 or 4000MHz if I can't reach stability before 2.0V VCCIN.

snip

start from these settings and work your cpu cache ratio up along with the vring incrementally

4.4GHz @ 1.29V (65°C)

3200MHz Ring Bus @ Auto

VCCIN 1.9V

use a vring of 1.20v and increase the cache ratio from 3200 to 3300. re-test. if you pass, increase it to 3400 and keep moving it up until you find instability. if you fail, increase the vring by 0.01v and re-test. you should be able to use a vccin of 1.90v for awhile

you'll know when you have to increase the vccin because you'll be increasing the vring past 1.20v and you'll keep failing tests, but you should be fine for awhile.

i hope this all makes sense

i would recommend that you use AIDA64 for your stress tests going forward. i've had many issues with intel xtu in the sense that it hasn't provided me with a reliable guage of true stability

BigDay

That's what I've read as well, but I had decided to follow ProKoN's guide regardless. In fact, I read Overclock.net claimed Ring Bus doesn't matter much at all.

Thanks for the advice, although I'd prefer to stay below 1.3V. I'll probably dial down the Ring Bus to 4200 or 4000MHz if I can't reach stability before 2.0V VCCIN.

i've read that overclock.net guide as well where they mentioned that overclocking the ring bus doesn't matter, but IMO, if you have the time and the knowledge, you might as well overclock it. plus, your tc14 cooler is really good for that cpu.

BigDay

Should I stick with 1.90V VCCIN? I hit a BSOD last night under my previously stable settings. This occurred after several days of gaming and normal operation, beyond the 8-12 hours of stressing. My initial response was to increase my VCCIN to 2.0V, which was what ProKoN said initially in his first video, but I feel like I will need to add another 0.01V to my VCore if it continues.

Should I dial back my VCCIN and just up my VCore?

i've read that overclock.net guide as well where they mentioned that overclocking the ring bus doesn't matter, but IMO, if you have the time and the knowledge, you might as well overclock it. plus, your tc14 cooler is really good for that cpu.

Yep, I figured the same thing and that seems like a smart approach. Thanks very much, BigDay.

I love this Phanteks cooler.

Should I stick with 1.90V VCCIN? I hit a BSOD last night under my previously stable settings. This occurred after several days of gaming and normal operation, beyond the 8-12 hours of stressing. My initial response was to increase my VCCIN to 2.0V, which was what ProKoN said initially in his first video, but I feel like I will need to add another 0.01V to my VCore if it continues.

Should I dial back my VCCIN and just up my VCore?

Yep, I figured the same thing and that seems like a smart approach. Thanks very much, BigDay.

I love this Phanteks cooler.

please provide me with the settings that you set when you hit a BSOD. i need the core ratio, vcore, cache ratio, vring, vccin, memory frequency, and memory voltage.

BigDay

please provide me with the settings that you set when you hit a BSOD. i need the core ratio, vcore, cache ratio, vring, vccin, memory frequency, and memory voltage.

I was using my daily machine settings at the time of my last BSOD. The attachments should cover everything.

Admittedly, I do have XMP enabled, which seemed to work fine with default clock speeds as well as my previous 3.8GHz overclock. Both functioned without issue for several months, but I'll gladly shut it off if you feel it's a factor.

post-157668-0-84652000-1450563613_thumb.

post-157668-0-47621600-1450563614_thumb.

I was using my daily machine settings at the time of my last BSOD. The attachments should cover everything.

Admittedly, I do have XMP enabled, which seemed to work fine with default clock speeds as well as my previous 3.8GHz overclock. Both functioned without issue for several months, but I'll gladly shut it off if you feel it's a factor.

From what I can see in the screenshots, these are your current settings:

BCLK = 100

44 core ratio @ 1.29 vcore

32 cache ratio (auto) @ 1.08 vring (auto)

VCCIN @ 1.90

Memory frequency = 1866 @ 1.50 memory voltage

Have you adjusted the BCLK at all OR is it always at 100 when you set optimized defaults in the BIOS?

You said you want to adjust your cache ratio. Start by leaving your core ratio and vcore alone at x44 and 1.29v

If you want to eliminate the memory from being a factor, you must set it to 1333 mhz and set it to default voltage. Turn XMP profiles off

Start by setting the vring at 1.20v and increasing the cache ratio to a 35 or 40 multiplier. Depends on how quickly you want to get this done. Try stress testing with AIDA64 using the following parameters:

BCLK = 100

44 core ratio @ 1.29 vcore

40 cache ratio @ 1.20 vring

VCCIN @ 1.90

Memory frequency = 1333 @ 1.50 memory voltage

In AIDA64 system stability test menu, check the following boxes:

Stress CPU

Stress FPU

Stress cache

Stress system memory

Run the test for 8 hours. If you pass, increase the cache ratio multiplier to 41 and leave everything else the same and then re-test.

BigDay

Run the test for 8 hours. If you pass, increase the cache ratio multiplier to 41 and leave everything else the same and then re-test.

Thank you for your time, BigDay. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I'll follow up when I reach my final numbers.

One more quick question. I know ProKoN emphasized the importance of using Intel XTU as compared to AIDA64, and I don't mind using a different utility; however, what happens at the end of the 30 day trial? Will I retain access to the stability test tool, will I have to download/install AIDA64 again, or will that be the end of it? Apologies that I could not find this information on my own.

Thank you for your time, BigDay. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I'll follow up when I reach my final numbers.

One more quick question. I know ProKoN emphasized the importance of using Intel XTU as compared to AIDA64, and I don't mind using a different utility; however, what happens at the end of the 30 day trial? Will I retain access to the stability test tool, will I have to download/install AIDA64 again, or will that be the end of it? Apologies that I could not find this information on my own.

after the 30 day free trial, i'm pretty sure you won't be able to use the program at all

the reason i suggested aida64 is because i've had lots of problems with xtu in the sense that it hasn't provided me with a good sense of stability. for example, i've passed several xtu stress tests, but have encountered numerous errors running my overclock during my day to day usage.

i don't have a lot of experience in using aida64, but so far, the tests that i've ran with the utility have provided me with a good sense of real world stability

BigDay

• 2 months later...

Im running 4.6 at 1.248V idle temp 32 deg on air cooler. full load 73 deg,

• 2 months later...

Hi! I've been following your guide to overclock my 4770k and I have run across a problem at the power saving stage.

My OC is currently set as:

CPU -> 1.305v at 4.5Ghz

CPU cache -> 1.305v at 4.3Ghz

VCCIN is set to 1.9v

Ram -> Gskill 2133Mhz using default xmp1 profile which seemed stable.

EDIT: Cooler -> Kraken x61, max temps at 87ºC under Intel extreme tuning utility.

I got clock_watchdog_timeout BSOD every now and then (long time period ~ every 1-2-3 weeks or so) so I cranked the voltage +0.05 on CPU and Cache, seems stable now.

My MoBo is Asus Maximus VI Hero

When I got to power saving stage I couldnt find Cpu ratio mode or Enhanced Turbo in my bios, so I took it for granted that I didnt need those (yolo).

I did set, however, Core/Cache voltage to Adaptative and CPU C states from auto to Enabled. Package C-state limit was auto by default.

After saving and trying to get into windows I get the Whea uncorrectable error BSOD, instantly, nothing else can be done. Soooo I came here to try to get some help :D

Any ideas? If you need any info about my OC or system just ask :D

"Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm weak

Maybe I'm blinded by what I see"

- Angel | Theory Of A Deadman